Notification

Icon
Error

Options
gramochs  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:44:29 AM(UTC)

I am a new embroiderer and I tried to embroider on a fleece blanket which was needless to say to fuzzy.  Any suggestions as to how to embroider on this material or even towels? 

lowerbarpham  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 4, 2008 1:35:51 AM(UTC)

When embroidering on fleece, towelling or anything with a pile try putting stabiliser under the design as usual and water soluable stabilizer on top of the design.

Hope this helps

hammockhanger  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 4, 2008 11:27:54 AM(UTC)

I agree.  I do a lot of embroidery on fleece.  The water soluble sheet on top helps with the nap. 

aljomc  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2008 10:55:01 PM(UTC)

You can buy a wash away stabilizer designed for towels etc, should be able to buy in any embroidery shop. Hope this helps.

happy stitching

aljomc

lself1  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2008 12:35:54 AM(UTC)

It was forever before I discovered that water soluble stabilizer comes in various wieghts.  Use the heaviest weight for very thick piled fabrics.  Sometimes two layers may be needed.  

pat71896  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2008 11:19:13 AM(UTC)

Gramochs - These are all very good responses for you.  I have had some issues with different fabrics as well.

I do a Blog here on Annthegran and on May 25, I will be presenting my information and research on stabilizers which is exactly your problem.  Please do check it out and add your experience and, if you try some of these methods, your new outcome.

Stabliziers are one of the most difficult to nail down for a specific answer. 

Iself1 is right, you might need more than one layer of stabilizer.  Your backing will be important as well.  I personally use a medium cutaway for the back and a medium water soluable for the top.  I use the cutaway because - well, see my blog for the reasons - The Avid Embroiderer. . . Angel

Pat