Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
jlittle0213  
#61 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2009 11:01:03 PM(UTC)

So how can tell if my machine uses the 6.0 or the other?  I have a PE-700II and the largest hoop I can use is a 5 x 7.  I also use PED-Basic to get my designs to the Embroidery Machine.

Judy

pattiann  
#62 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:32:35 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Save the design as .PES and then copy and save as .PES 6 and see if your EM will recognize the .PES 6 format.

UPDATE -

I found this information in the Designer's Gallery Studio Plus software instruction manual under "Conversion".   

"One of the most popular formats for home embroidery is the .PES file. 

There are at present many versions of this file.

There are three conversion options that are unique to PES: 

(1) Convert using PES version 5 with real thread colors.  This allows the .PES 5 format to be written, which is necessary for the larger-field machines such as Ellageo and the EMP6

(2) Ensures trims and tie-offs.  If the design already contains tie-offs, not extras are added.

(3)  Convert 180mm x 300mm designs with PES 6.0 format.  This is used for machines such as the Baby Lock Ellegante which require a Palette 6.0 to edit 200 x 300 designs.  If you do not have this machine, turn this feature off. 

If you have a file that does not require the 180mm x 300mm hoop, then the file will be written according to the PES version 5 format preference (#1, above)."

I have a Baby Lock Ellegante and just saved a design in both PES and PES 6 format (which are two of several options I have with Designer's Gallery). 

I see no difference in the formats, and both opened on the EM.  The design was larger than 5 x 7.

.PES 6 is a stitch format and not design software.  The format has nothing to do with PE Design or PED Basic. 

Brother confuses the issue by using PE this and that when naming their software products.

All software conversion and digitizing products will save to many formats, including .PES

jlittle0213  
#63 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 10:23:56 AM(UTC)

Ok, thanks.  I should have thought of that.

pat71896  
#64 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 9:40:28 AM(UTC)

JLittle - you will be thinking of these things and soon!  Machine embroidery is an addiction that we can live with very well!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

borden47  
#65 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 9:22:47 PM(UTC)

Hello Judy.

Whenever in doubt on what your PE-700II can utilize or what accessories are available for that particular model....check with www.Brother.com

Brother's website offers lists of what is compatible to various machines.  .pes is Brother's design format.  PED Basic and PE-Design, Version 6 is Brother's software.  The website will outline the software, the hoops, etc.  Some models can accommodate the continuous hoops which enable a larger embroidery field.

If after viewing the Brother website and your questions were not answered completely, you can either email Brother or contact them in person by phone.  Their Customer Service area is superb.

Seems like you are coming into the embroidery segment very nicely. 

Joan

jlittle0213  
#66 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 11:26:25 PM(UTC)

Hello Joan

Ok, so since I am using the PED Basic I am saving my designs as  pes when using the Alphabet Express, and everything is working great.  I forgot about the different Versions of PE-Design.

I think I am going to have to try the Catalog Express next.

Judy

borden47  
#67 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 11:47:12 PM(UTC)

Judy.

Brother designs are .pes format and save accordingly; i.e., Alphabet Xpress. 

Although I own PE-Design, Version 6, I still utilize Alphabet Xpress to organize design and fonts (names, numbers, etc.).  I work with both to design.     I seem to utilize Alphabet Xpress a lot for monogramming small items such as luggage tags and key rings.  Just a personal preference.

Now, Catalog Xpress, I LOVE.  I debated about purchasing as my PE-Design, Version 6 has an organization of files and since I utilize WinZip, I organize in there as well.  But, Catalog Xpress organizes better than PE-Design and the pictures of the designs pop right out there on your screen.  Also, if you should ever need another design format, this software converts for you and most of all, easily. When purchasing new designs, I place in my PED-Basic/WinZip and then also save in Catalog Xpress at the same time.  Complete organization.

Keep in mind though, Catalog Xpress is only a "file" to maintain your designs; organziational file.  You still need your original method of saving all the .pes format designs.

Having fun yet?!!  It is really good that you are open to all the new software and ideas that are on the market. 

Joan

jlittle0213  
#68 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:55:34 AM(UTC)

Joan,

Understand on the .pes.

I really like the Alphabet Xpress and I am going to purchase that for sure.  I did download the trial version of Catalog Xpress and I like the way it shows your designs.   That it will convert other files is nice.  Let me tell you what I do.  When I purchase a design(s) I download them into a file I named Zipped Files, then I unzipp them into a file named Zipped Files.  After that I rename the files from my receipt and place them into the different folders I made for them.  Then I open up PED-Basic to look at the designs.  Not as nice as Catalog Xpress though.  I read some more on the Catalog Express and it said that I can write from Catalog Express to the Amazing Box or the Ulimate Box with a card of course, so I can put the designs on the embroidery machine.   I was hoping that it would work with the PE-Basic. 

How do you save your files in two different places at once?

I am having a lot of fun and would probley like all the software out there but I don't think my budget could handle it.

Judy

borden47  
#69 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:32:49 AM(UTC)

Hi Judy.

When I purchase a design, generally you can bring it directly to your files once payment has been made.  Some sites send the designs once credit has been verified.

When purchasing from a site that allows you to retrieve the design instantly once payment has been made, I bring the zipped design over to my PED-Basic and save in the manner I wish leaving the purchased site open.  Then, I go back once again to the opened site and bring the zipped design over again but to Catalog Xpress this time and place into correct order.  This way, I don't have to remember to do so at another time or dig through my PED Basic file.  Then, I print out the thread change chart and maintain in a binder (just me). 

Designs purchased are yours once you have made payment so you can go back and transfer as many times as you wish.  Many sites hold your order history as well.  ATG is one site that does that.  Therefore, 2 months from now, you can still go back and retrieve again.

No doubt about it, software is quite expensive.  Doing as much research on software is your best bet.   As you get more acquainted with machine emboridery is when you decide on software and what would work for you.

Hope I answered correctly.

Joan

jlittle0213  
#70 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:56:41 AM(UTC)

Joan

I guess I miss understood what you were saying.  But I understand now.  I think I read that Catalog Express automaticly unzips your files.  If that is the case what does it do with the zip files.  I still have all of mine, but in a seperate file from the rest.

I also print out the color change chart, but I but them in a folder in the file cabinet.  I started to do a binder but some of them printed too close to the left edge and I would have had to punch holes throuh the color chart.  Not good.

Now I have another question.  When converting a file to a .pes, I thought that pes was pes becaue that is what I download for my designs and no verison is mentioned.  Well, I converted a file for my sister (something her $700 software would not let her do) and I needed to choose .pes but they had I think 7 versions of the pes.  I choose version one and told her to try it and let me know and that I would check and see what I could find out. 

I finally decided to try the USB cable today.  I hook it up and I saved (it would not let me copy or click and drag) to the removal disk that the program put in and it transferred it to my embroidery machine.  So I do not need to purchase another box and I can use Catalog Express.  That made me very happy. 

If we are using Catalog Express do we really need to have our designs in PED-Basic and Catalog Express?

borden47  
#71 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:31:09 PM(UTC)

Good Morning.

First off, yes you must maintain your PED-Basic first and foremost.  The Catalog Xpress is an organizational tool.  Think of Catalog Xpress as a file folder and you place your pictures of designs in it in an organized manner and keep them there for viewing.  That is all it is.  Although it offers other attributes,  it is an organizational tool.  You need your PED-Basic to save your designs in a compressed file.  Catalog Xpress does not  take the place of your software program to save your designs.

For maintaining my color change charts, I purchase the sheet protectors at Wal-Mart or Staples and they have the 3-ring holes and my sheets are protected.  A file cabinet works just has well.  Whatever works.  It's all about what is easiest for you.

Catalog Xpress conversion is a neat tool.  Some gals have more than one machine and different formats.  Sending a PES design to your sister should work for her.  The versions that you are speaking of is the software versions.  She can save that in the area she wishes and as long as her machine is a Brother, she should be able to utilize the design.

Can't live without my USB drives.  I rarely use my PED-Basic or PE-Design, V. 6 to transfer to my machine.  I use the USB drives 99.9% of the time.

Joan

jlittle0213  
#72 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:10:34 AM(UTC)

I think it is finally sinking in.   It's like Photo Shop,  there is a catalog of my pictures but all they are are thumbnails and if I move or delete the picture it will not find it.  Another question along that line.  When I download my zipped designs to a file in my computer do I leave them unzipped there and just have them unzipped in Catalog Xpress or do they need to be unzipped in both places.  Because I do keep my zipped files in a seperate file from the rest.

Now another question about that darn .pes.  When I converted the file with the version 1 (because I did not know which one to use) it gave me the incorrect colors.  The colors should have been black and shades of grey, it have me blue, green, and red.  When we download the .pes files what are they using?  They don't ask you to choose a verison.  I have not had any trouble using any of the designs I have downloaded unless I had purchased one that was too large.

My sister has a 2500D, I think it is an Inovis.  She gave me her SE270D and now I have the PE-700II.  I'm moving up in the world.  After I use this for while (maybe a long while) I'll ask for one with a colored screen.  These embroidery machines are like the ditigal cameras they are just changing and improving way to fast and you can not keep up with them, computers included.

I use the sheet protectors a lot.  My sister and I also do genelogy and all of family group sheets, pictures, and etc. is in binders with sheet protectors.  I just havn't started it with the embroidery designs. 

pattiann  
#73 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:31:18 AM(UTC)

PES does not always recognize thread colors used by the designer. 

Try converting or saving in at least v5.  This may help, but you will still have issues with Brother/Babylock machines translating some colors.

I use the print-out sheet for the colors and don't waste my time editing the colors.

I have not had a problem with the colors when downloading Brother designs.

I leave the zipped files where they land and copy the opened files to my embroidery file.

I may be mistaken, as I do not have CX, but I thought it is for viewing, editing, converting and not for storing.

debgamble  
#74 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:06:13 AM(UTC)

With so much traffic on this subject, I thought I'd comment also.  I love Alpha Xpress and Catalog Xpress for organizing and viewing designs.  Like others, I have thousands of designs I've purchased or downloaded and needed to organize them some way so I could find them.  I try to just use my laptop for my designs (and back-up faithfully to an external drive).  When I download the zip designs, I put them in a file folder named for the site I downloaded from, (Ann the Gran; Embroidery Library; ABC Library, etc.)  Then, I insert the designs into Catalog Xpress either by a catagory (flowers, alphabets, etc.) or by a catagory of the purchase site (Ann the Gran; Emb Library, etc.) where it makes the most sense to me to find. 

I found out the hard way that sometimes the colors do not match after downloading when the color for my white daisies was gray, so I too started printing out the design and color chart and putting the sheets into a binder and follow that sheet when I stitch out the design.

Thanks for all the information on this site.

Debbie

myfella  
#75 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:10:34 AM(UTC)

Please unsubscribe me ASAP.

pat71896  
#76 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:35:02 AM(UTC)

Lots of good information here.  Let me offer this suggestion, use the highest number of pes version you have available.  If you have problems, work backward through the numbers.

You definitely are moving up in the world with your PE-700II.  It is a real work horse and even if you purchase up in the future, you will want to keep it for over flow or times when a new lovable machine might be in the shop for service.

ME is one of the most wonderful crafts you will love so much.  There are great friends on the net and in your neighborhood to meet as well as beautiful designs to cherish.  When you have hundreds of designs, you will appreciate CatalogXpress all the more!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

pattiann  
#77 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:49:43 AM(UTC)

Myfella - contact customer service if you wish to unsubscribe from whatever it is you subscribed to.

jlittle0213  
#78 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:56:32 AM(UTC)

Hello,

I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but when I put my designs into the brother PED-Basic my colors are really bad.  I have always used the color change sheets from the companies where I got my designs.  I find that some of the color change sheets are better then others, like with Embroidery Library they actually tell you what you are stitching.  I wish more would do that. 

Have a good evening!!!

Judy

trwiggins  
#79 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 2:04:05 AM(UTC)

I love Alphabet Xpress.  I am new to embroidery and received the Brother SE400 for Christmas last year.  I must say it has been a learning experience.  I think I have literally tried every free and demo version of every lettering software there is.  Alphabet Xpress was the most versatile, user friendly program I have found.  It did everything I needed and more.  And the support from AnnTheGran.com is an added bonus that iis unbeatable!