Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
pat71896  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:35:52 AM(UTC)

I will be posting tips, tricks and information about the PE700/PE700II to help you know your machine better.

This area will be for the "Instructions" and I hope you will post your questions to:  PE700 Questions area so that the instruction area will remain just instructions.  By separating them, it is my hope that you can quickly return to find my instructions without too many other things in that thread.

Please keep your Manual and Quick Reference Guides handy to make notes and refer to Brother's specific information.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 1:01:40 PM(UTC)

Tutorial 101, PE700

Let’s start by being sure that you are well acquainted with your machine. Knowing the correct names for any part of your machine is helpful for asking questions and for knowing what the answer applies to. Review the information on Pages 6 through 11 to be sure that everything makes sense to you.

I highly recommend that you place your "Operation Manual" and "Quick Reference Guide" within easy reach of your machine. If you have to go looking for them, you are likely to be distracted and never answer your question.

Keep them in a drawer or some sort of package, a grocery bag is just fine.  I say this because it is a good idea to start out as organized as you can, because your work area only gets more and more filled with (very important) stuff. Try to stay organized as you go and you will be glad you did.

Now, let’s begin this lesson with some basic information.

Your computerized machine is not a computer, but the computerization in this machine is mostly for the machine's processes. You certainly can manipulate your design at the machine and that will be our next discussion on PE700 machines.  A word of warning, manufacturers make each new model more enticing and they are planning to make you sleepless until you buy the next wonderful model they make! LOL!!

As with computers, embroidery machines can have bugs.  However, this machine is really reliable and very difficult to break.  That does not mean it is indestructible, but it is built to be a sturdy workhorse for many years to come. You will find that the tools included with this machine will work for many issues so they need to be handy. If you cannot adjust your machine with the tools given, it may be time to see a "Certified Technician."

In the first year of your machine ownership, you need to deliver your baby to your Tech at least 2 times; once at about 4 or 5 months, (earlier if necessary) and then again at 10 or 11 months. This allows for any further adjustments before your warrantee is expired.

If you don't use your machine for an extended period of time, you must realize that the oils can 'drain' downward and it might need to be taken to the Technician. The machine is not too temperamental, but it does need tender loving care.

Enough techie stuff . . . Let’s do your first project!

In order to have success with machine embroidery (ME), you will have to learn A LOT. But, because we want to play with your new toy, let’s do a project that will be successful with your early knowledge.

I would recommend that you use a piece of denim for your first project. It is very forgiving and seldom will give you trouble. A jacket is more ideal than pants because of the ease of hooping your project. So, let’s assume you have a jacket on which to place a design.

Your dealer should have given or sold you some stabilizer to get you started. There are dozens of types of stabilizers and they have many different applications. I hope you have some medium to heavy weight cutaway stabilizer. That will serve a lot of projects, but not all of them. If you bought water soluble stabilizer (wss), that will also do a lot of work. It is my opinion that almost every project can benefit in some way from wss.

Now, let’s select an appropriate design for our project. In your Quick Reference Guide, you will find each of the designs available already in your machine. For ease of your project, we are going to use one of these designs.

Starting on Page 12, you will find your designs. In the upper left corner you will see a "Butterfly" which is the same as the "Butterfly" on your machine's screen. On Page 17 there is a Crown which is also on your machine’s screen.

I chose the Crown group (there is no real difference between the two, they are just divided into 2 groups) and item #21, the Flamingo.  It is a single color and does not have a lot of stitches, making it a really quick project and great for back to school items!

This example shows just the stabilizer hooped.  Notice that there is approximately 1” all around the hoop.  For a 5” by 7” hoop, cut your stabilizer 9” by 11.”  This extra allows for adjustments if needed.

Never adjust your fabric and/or stabilizer once it is fully tightened.  Make any adjustments while the fabrics are still very loose.  The second photo shows how to hold the edges of the stabilizer and roll toward the inside and downward.  Do this at regular intervals and in opposite sides and corners for best results.  Then tighten the screw by hand.

Make sure that your hoop, including stabilizer and fabric is snuggly secure.  Never tighten your hoop with a screwdriver (exception, if you have physical limitations).  After you have attached your hoop to the arm of the machine, be sure to check that the hoop is still in tact.  At this point, it is easy for the hoop to ‘jump’ or become a little loose.  Hoops are working while the machine is vibrating; this also is an opportunity for the hoop to come out of its ‘seat.’  Check the hoop from time to time, especially if your project is large.  (Voice of experience. . . )

Thread your machine, lower the foot and sew.  Watching the process is a time-honored tradition, and it will be entertaining for you and any spectators.  ;)   

When the design is complete, remove your hoop from the machine.  BUT, before you remove your work from the hoop, look at your design for any mistakes.  It is rare that a machine skips a stitch.  Skipping would most likely be the result of movement of the fabric.  Sometimes you may have to reinsert your hoop and redo a section. 

Check the bottom of your project as well.  Carefully clip away all excess thread.  If you clip too close to a knot, use something like ‘Fray Check’ to seal that spot.  If not, there will be changes in your design when it is laundered.

Finally, removing the specialized thread from your machine is best done by clipping between the spool and your machine.  Then pull the clipped thread through your machine.  This process clears any lint left over inside the machine.  The exception would be if you had some fraying of the thread.  In that case, I recommend that you ‘unthread’ your machine in the same manner as you thread it.

Admire your new craft result and join us frequently here at AnnTheGran for information, news and ideas that will just keep you stitching!

Next Instruction, What is on that machine’s screen? 

If you have any questions or comments, please put them in the “PE700 Question and Answer Area” forum thread.  That way, this tutorial will remain in tact for users in the future.

amanda1  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 3:57:33 PM(UTC)

Big Smile Thank you so much - I am so excited that there is a forum! with tips and tutorial's !!!!! I bought my Brother 700 about 2 months ago and have been waiting for my man to make a sewing room for me, that I haven't had much time to use my machine.  My sewing room is now finished and I have taken the week off work so that I can just sew, sew, sew!! Now while browsing through the site have found your tutorial - I now feel like I have been very blessed.  Oh what a wonderful day, oh what a beautiful morning - thank you, thank you!!!

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:41:38 AM(UTC)

amanda1- I love your avatar, it looks like someone is really shy!

Pat

lcb  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:40:45 AM(UTC)

I think I have finally found web site forum for me! I recently purchased a Brother PE70011, my first embroidery machine and had a great time stitching patterns. No not a great time, I have gotten in over my knowledge with projects.

I need help with hooping. I have viewed the videos but still am not confident I don’t know how tight to hoop certain materials.

I don’t know if my problems come from hooping or the stabilizers I should be using.

lcb

claudiascarm  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:28:18 AM(UTC)

Hello people, I'm from Brazil and I have a problem.
I
have a PE700 and when I begin to embroider the message "F05 Speed
Sensor", she catches everything and is beeping, I have to shut down and reboot.
Someone can tell me what can be? Does anyone have a manual mechanic to send me?
Thank you, following my e mail
claudiascarm@hotmail.com

dpoorte  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:02:29 AM(UTC)

Hi! I'm new to this forum and sooo glad I found it.  I just purchased a PE-770  and I would like to know if the information for the PE-770/700II will apply to the PE770 also?

Thank you!

kt3234  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:21:09 PM(UTC)

[quote user="dpoorte"]

Hi! I'm new to this forum and sooo glad I found it.  I just purchased a PE-770  and I would like to know if the information for the PE-770/700II will apply to the PE770 also?

Thank you!

Congratulations on your purchase! You must be excited! They are almost the same machine. Yours is able to use a memory stick and the 700II uses a usb cable. Other than that they have the same features. This website has wonderful information to help you get started. Happy embroidering, kt3234 Karen

dpoorte  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2009 1:26:20 PM(UTC)

Thanks Karen,

Yes, I am enjoying my machine.  I just recieved it yesterday and "played" on it all day today!  Woo Hoo!  My previous embroidery machine was a Singer Futura.  It just gave out and I was so bummed, but I am finding my new Brother to be so easy to learn.  The only negative issue is that I have to get a editing program to be able to view and edit my previous embroidery downloads...the Singer had a program in the software that I could do that with but the machine had to be hooked up to the computer :(  Right now I'm using a free download of Wilcom Truesizer .  Does anyone have any suggestions?

pattiann  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2009 1:11:18 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I find a catalog program, such as CatalogX is helpful in viewing and organizing designs.  The designs/files remain on the hard drive or removable drive (your choice) and not in the "catalog" and this can be confusing to some users.

There is a trial of CatX you might want to look into - http://www.annthegran.co...duct.aspx?t=1&i=2567

lroller  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2010 9:35:33 AM(UTC)

I cannot get my machine to embroider the designs I download to the USB stick.  I unzip them, use PES and they show up on the LCD screen but when I touch the design the go button stays red and an message says, "Cannot embroider this design".  I know the size is under 5x7.  Help please.  It's driving me nuts.

pattiann  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2010 4:06:32 AM(UTC)

Just guessing.

If the designs are well under the 5 x 7 size, the only other reason would be format, which you have indicated as correct. 

Is pes the only format this machine will read? 

Are there more designs on the stick than what the machine can handle?  

Do you have an extra flash drive (USB stick) where you can just have one or two designs loaded?  If so, load and test.

bethbest  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:15:21 AM(UTC)

I have had a PE 700II for appx. 5-6 months.  I am having so many problems with it.  Previously I used a PE-150 for about 6 years.  I LOVED my sweet cheap machine.  It was a real work horse.  Unfortunately, I put my card in the card reader the wrong way and ruined it.  Therefore, I had to buy a new machine.  I am so dissapointed with the cheap plastic bobbin case. 

My problem is that about every other item that I embroider, the top thread get hung up in the bobbin area and breaks.  It could be just one step of a design and it will just NOT sew it.  I have taken the bobbin out, made sure it was free from lint, loosened the top tension, replaced the needle, rethreaded x 1000!  I am so upset that I paid this much and have a machine that will not reliably stitch out something for me.  Oh, and I am using Brother brand bobbin thread.  And my problem happens regardless of the type of top thread I use.

I did discover a tiny spur on the bobbin case and filed it down very smooth and it has worked many times since.  Any suggestions???    Does  anyone else have these issues?  I saw one other post that said they rarely use their machine because they are scared of it ruining things.  That's me.  I might stitch out a great t shrit, or make a massive hole in it and end up wanting to pull my hair out.

Please help if you can,

kt3234  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:52:13 AM(UTC)

I am sorry that you are having problems with your machine. As you are keeping your bobbin area clean, and using Brother brand bobbin thread the only thing I can suggest is have you tried the Brother website for support? Also, have you brought your machine to your local dealer to be serviced? I have loved my machine. When a problem did occur a couple months back I brought it to my local dealer they took a look at it, replaced the bobbin case and it has been working like a champ again ever since. The visit was cheaper than I thought although I was without my machine for about two weeks. Best of luck to you, kt3234 Karen

lonestarkayaker  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 2:21:51 AM(UTC)

Hi. Since your machine is still under warranty, you should take it back to where you bought it or an authorozed dealer and have them check it out. I would bring material, thread and other needed supplies and actually sew out designs until it fails. 

Barbara

maddierae  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:57:36 AM(UTC)

Does anyone know if it is important to change the thread type, in order to have a better looking sew-out?  Also, has anyone had to change the top thread tension in order to have a neater looking design?  I am using Personalize 'N Stitch and designed an "arched" design.  The letters in the arch are really messy and the outline of the letter is separate from the body of the letter.

I have not made a lot of changes in my machine; have had it a little over a year and didn't want to mess things up until I really understood what I was doing.  I have been getting into designing logos for local school organizations and I want to know how to have a neater result.

Thank you,

Maddierae

pattiann  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 5:13:03 AM(UTC)

It could be the digitizing, or it could be you need a heavier stabilizer.

I would do a sample, using the same fabric and two layers of the stabilizer you originally used.

maddierae  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 5:57:46 AM(UTC)

I would sooner go with the software, IF it can't be remedied by the two questions I referred to in my original inquiry because there are not many changes one can make in the software program.  I purchased stabilizer that works well with pique and have used it for over 200 shirts and had two of the designs digitized by a professional company.  I would like to be able to digitize it myself to save customer money and have the convenience of getting it done and being able to make as many changes as needed to get it "just right",  but purchasing an expensive software program is not in the cards right now.

Thank you for answering so soon!

bethbest  
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 8:21:04 AM(UTC)

Thanks!  I ran it up to my Brother repair man today.  He will be in tomorrow and check it out.

pat71896  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:31:38 AM(UTC)

We all hope you are having better success now.  Let us know!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer