Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
blevins5733  
#21 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:29:11 PM(UTC)

I have a Brother PE-770 and I LOVE IT! Tonight though I had an issue arise. The error code :The Safety Device has been activated: popped up and when I go to move the needle up or down it won't budge. So I looked in my manual and it is indicating I have some how got thread stuck up under my bobbin case. I took the cover off, pulled out the bobbin, cleaned the race but can't seem to find the thread...I can tell it is there though and now I'm not sure how to get up under the bobbin case to get to the thread that is tangled around it...Any help would be greatly appreicated! This is my first embroidery machine, I have had it since October but I'm still very new to it all...Thanks and God Bless!

kt3234  
#22 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 12:58:57 AM(UTC)

[quote user="blevins5733"]

I have a Brother PE-770 and I LOVE IT! Tonight though I had an issue arise. The error code :The Safety Device has been activated: popped up and when I go to move the needle up or down it won't budge. So I looked in my manual and it is indicating I have some how got thread stuck up under my bobbin case. I took the cover off, pulled out the bobbin, cleaned the race but can't seem to find the thread...I can tell it is there though and now I'm not sure how to get up under the bobbin case to get to the thread that is tangled around it...Any help would be greatly appreicated! This is my first embroidery machine, I have had it since October but I'm still very new to it all...Thanks and God Bless!

Being as how you cleaned the area and the problem is still occuring it may be time to take the machine to your local dealer. They will be best able to service your machine and get it running as good as new again. Best of luck to you, kt3234 Karen

pat71896  
#23 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 3:40:30 AM(UTC)

I loved my PE700 (pre-770) too. 

Your machine is under warranty, so taking it to the shop is a great idea.  However, you may want to do just one more thing before you do that.

You do not mention taking off the plate that has the size markings on it.  There is a screwdriver in your kit just for that, it is very small and probably black and has wings (you will know when you see it).  That indicates that the manufacturer trusts you to take this plate off the machine.  If you cannot find that screwdriver, a nickel will work as well.

After removing that plate, (remember, turning right tightens and turning left loosens) check for that thread.  If you can see it, use a tweezer to remove it.  Look for small nips left over and  remove them too.

Replace the plate BEFORE putting in your bobbin (voice of experience here).  Make sure that the plate is in place very snuggly.  A wobbling plate is disaster for your machine.  If you cannot tighten, by hand (assuming you can reasonably use your hand) the screw any more, it is likely tight enough.

If there were no visible threads, then you must take it to the technician.  It is time you made friends with your tech in any event.  Ask them questions about your machine.  A good tech will take time with you, become his/her best friend.  Sometimes they can help you via the phone.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

BTW: God blesses me each day with love, hope and courage.  I wish you as much and more.

blevins5733  
#24 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 7:56:46 AM(UTC)

I wish I could take my machine to a local dealer however, my husband is in the United States Air Force and we are stationed overseas in Japan :) So I ordered my machine online and had it shipped to me, that's why I was hoping others could help. I think that what was posted under this one will help me though....I am trying to take my time and be patient to find the problem...I do believe taking the other plate off and seeing what is under there might be the answer...Let's hope and pray I get it fixed! Thanks everyone for the help and advice! I love this forum and so glad I found it!!!

pat71896  
#25 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 8:14:15 AM(UTC)

Feel free to email me, check my profile for the email, with any other information you might have and/or need.  It is amazing that thread can find its way to really strange places, it is like finding a needle in a haystack sometimes. 

I am glad you have something to enjoy while you are stationed overseas.  Bless you and your family.

If you could work with photos, that might help.  Do so by responding to this forum post, select the icon which looks like a Film Strip, select Browse, and upload from that area by following the prompts.

I am delighted to help you, Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

blevins5733  
#26 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 8:49:40 AM(UTC)

Well I got the thread out and then dropped a screw down in there and cant find it or hear it....my machine worked for a few mins then it stopped again and I'm now thinking I the screw is somewhere in there! I'm not sure now how to get the screw....I think I'm going to have to take it my machine some what apart but I don't want to do that...and I'm not sure how to get down in there... :( I'm in trouble!

pat71896  
#27 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 10:30:49 AM(UTC)

Are you old enough to remember Lucy and Ethel?  It did not matter what they did, they always managed to have problems. . . .  Embarrassed

Well, this one is easy too.  Find the nearest hardware store and they have a gadget (because you are not alone in doing this) that will look like a rod.  It may even telescope, but the important thing is that is has a claw on the end of it.  Mine is only 8" long, but the claw opens to grab the screw and release the grab so that it does its job - grab, and pull out.

You may need a flashlight to be able to see where the screw has gone, but those two items are in many tool boxes around the world.  You might tip the machine, gently of course, so that the screw is in a corner.  It is not the worse thing that can happen.

You know, I think I will write a blog about the different tools you may want to have handy when embroidering.  There are a lot of good things to have in your embridery kit.

Hope this helps!

blevins5733  
#28 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:07:07 PM(UTC)

Let me say....I LOVE LUCY!!!! LOL I was able to get the screw and thread out and I'm still having issues...it don't want to do anything so I'm guessing I'm going to have to send it to the company...I have a feeling there is thread up under the bobbin case that is tangled that I can't see or get too. I don't want to take my machine apart :( I'm really bummed about this! The needle wont go up or down and the same message pops up "The safety device has been activated" and the needle wont move.

granny12  
#29 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2010 12:04:27 AM(UTC)

My 7000 did the same ting.  Luckily there is a dealer near me and I was able to take it in  and he did take it apart because it was "froze up"  He said if it happened again to take the bobbin case out and use a vacumn hose to clean all the dust out of the trace and areas.  It is a real simple thing to do.  Your instruction book tells you how. You should do this every one in a while anyway especially if you do a lot of embroidery. The first time this happens is pretty scarey.  I thought I had "killed" my machine and I cried.  goo luck!!!

pat71896  
#30 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2010 3:59:27 AM(UTC)

We are all Lucy fans.  Her humor lasts through the ages.  Unfortunately, our generation was about the last to not be subject to every 4 letter word in the book - and it is called humor. . .

Getting back to your issue.  If you are still having issues, let me reiterate, you must put your 'plate' back, securely and then put the bobbin in place.  My dealer, who has 40 years of experience with sewing and now embroidery machines, said it is done that way so that the bobbin case can only be inserted ONE WAY. 

That means that they are safe guarding you against more problems for a bobbin case that is loose or incorrectly placed.  If you think about it, a bad bobbin case, with the needle traveling at 800 strikes (more or less) per minute could be a disaster.  My eyes are flinching right now!

Hope this helps!

pattiann  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:50:13 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Quote:

"I was able to get the screw and thread out and I'm still having issues...it don't want to do anything so I'm guessing I'm going to have to send it to the company...I have a feeling there is thread up under the bobbin case that is tangled that I can't see or get too. I don't want to take my machine apart :( I'm really bummed about this! The needle wont go up or down and the same message pops up "The safety device has been activated" and the needle wont move. "

Suggestion:

You can remove the bobbin case and clean out the surrounding area.  Turn off the power.  Raise the needle to it's highest point.

Remove the needle plate, bobbin and bobbin case.

Clean and replace the bobbin case, bobbin and needle plate.

This is in the maintenance section of the manual

jere1558  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:18:17 AM(UTC)

i know this is long after the fact, but i was having the same issue. i followed all the steps but the problem persisted. I decided to try a new needle. that was the ticket! needle must have had a burr that was knotting up the thread! now i know...change the needle often!

blytheab  
#33 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:27:42 AM(UTC)

Hi,

I am extremely new to monogramming.  I just received my Brother PE770 2 days ago and I'm trying to learn the basics right now.  This is probably a stupid question, but I cannot figure out how to make my font size bigger than 2.45 inches.  Is this possible?  Also when doing initials is it possible to change the font size for each letter.. I would like the middle letter to be bigger than the ones on each side, like the example here...  BGT?  thanks in advance!!

pat71896  
#34 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:58:32 AM(UTC)

I remember when I first started, I wanted big lettering.  I purchased them, and frankly, they have never been used.

First, you are working with a monogram, not a font.  The difference is that monograms are for lettering and fonts are mostly for lettering/words.  For instance, you would not use a monogram to write "I love you" but you could use fonts for monograms.  It is matter of size and taste. 

I am uncertain why you need something larger than  2.45, if so, you need a program that will resize.  In this instance (not all situations) you would need something like Embird.  Let's say you are doing a towel - definitely not a basic project - consider using the 2.45" as the center and make the side lettering 2". 

Play with an old towel or other piece of fabric that is close to your project fabric.  With monograms, it is a general rule that you use medium cutaway on the bottom and a light weight water soluble stabilizer on the top. 

There is much to learn.  Select a subject and place that word in the search box in the upper right corner.  Read the info because someone else has been where you are right now.

Read this forum for subjects of interest for you.  Read the blogs here as well.  They will walk you through the process.  Practice a lot, most of us made a lot of mistakes before we got it right.

alice6626  
#35 Posted : Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:49:56 PM(UTC)

Just got a 770 for Christmas and can't figure something out.  The manual says it displays stitch count during the embroidery process (Very helpful if you need to resume after a problem), but I can't figure out how to display it.  I've attached a photo from the manual for clarification.  Following the instructions on this page still does not show the stitch count. 

Also the package I got had the tapered end thread spools, which don't seem to work well with the spool caps provided (the thread catches on the front). 

Any suggestions would be appreciatedPage 68    

pattiann  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:33:20 AM(UTC)

Have a you registered the warranty?

Stitch a few designs and if the count still does not appear per the instructions, contact your nearest Brother dealer for service. 

Spool pins are tapered.  Rub with a bit of silicon (Sewer's Aid) if the caps don't go on as smoothly as you would like.  You can find SA with sewing and embroidery supplies - http://columbiariverquilting.com/sewers_aid.html

If the thread unwinds too fast from the spool, use thread nets.  This is what they look like - http://www.abc-machine-e...ns.com/Thread_Net/  any sewing machine dealer should have these in stock.

Hope this will help resolve the issues you have encountered.

srowe72  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:51:54 PM(UTC)

I just purchased my Brother PE-770 to be shipped out today, have no experience with embroidery and am SO excited to learn it.  I have ben reading EVERYTHING in preparation for weeks.  I know, I am a dork.  I read the above tutorial and was wondering if there had ever been more tutorials posted?

Thanks!

Sarah

pattiann  
#38 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:03:20 AM(UTC)

I like these (they are for all embroidery machines) - http://www.emblibrary.co...der.aspx?page=techniques

When you get the new machine, sit down in front of it with the manual open.  Read and apply, step by step (no skipping) and you will quickly learn the features and functions of the new machine.

pat71896  
#39 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:23:46 AM(UTC)

Sarah - you are not a DORK, you are a newbie!

Since you have gotten your machine through the mail, you need to find a local embroidery shop (machine is understood) to find help and a possible group to learn and share with.

Read your manual, but it does not over embroidery, it covers the machine. Become familiar with the machine.  Ask questions and read blogs and forums. You may want to read my blog regarding things you need to be aware of. My and other blogs here at AnnTheGran show techniques you will want to use in future projects.

Consider joining Ann's Club because you will get some great specials and everyday deals. Look over the freebies but don't bother to download every freebie you see. You will see quality after you are more experienced and some freebies are worth the price. . .

Read, practice, try things and return here for more information.

mrsyowder  
#40 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 3:53:03 AM(UTC)

I had the same problem with my barely used 700II.

My problem is that I live in Northern Michigan and there is no dealer within 250 mi.To have a repair I had to ship it out($30.30 insured), so I shipped it to the dealer I purchased it from who is in Alabama. They told me it was a bad bushing and the part was on backorder. They have had my machine for two months and are not communicating. I am so upset with them, and I am wondering if I threw over $700. down the drain for this machine.

I have an eleven year- old Simplicity machine that was only out of time once , but it only has a 4x4 field.

I read all the reviews so the 700 sounded like a good buy, but I am not so sure now.

Although I have purchased four different machines and a lot of supplies form this dealer and they were great on sales, but I think this is a bad way to treat a customer. Nothing I can do but wait. I will never do business with them again. It would help if they would communicate.