Notification

Icon
Error

Options
stinafitz  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 1:33:15 AM(UTC)

Hello.  I am having BIG problems with 505 Spray and Fix Temporary Fabric Adhesive.  This "stainless" product for sewing/applique/quilt/craft has put dark stains on almost every embroidery project I have made and I can't figure out how to remove them.  I've tried soap, detergent, alcohol, etc.  I'm so frustrated because
everything I make turns out awfully stained.  Can anybody please help? 
I'd even appreciate guesses at what I can try to do to fix my projects
and prevent this in the future.  Also, is there an adhesive that really is stainless?  I spray 505 on my bottom stabilizers before applying the fabric and on the stabilizer whenever I use a waterproof topping. Thank you so much to everyone that helps me!

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 1:59:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

It sounds like you have a bad can of 505.  Try soaking the stained fabric in an oxy clean type product.

It worked for me recently.  I did not have staining, but wanted to quickly get rid of the 505 .

pat71896  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 3:18:06 AM(UTC)

I am really sorry to hear of your problems.  I agree with Pattiann, you may have a bad product.  I also think that adhesives can be affected by multiple outside factors such as humidity.  Your project may be a lost cause.  That happens to all of us at one time or another.  Ann does carry an adhesive with a cleaner  for this type of thing.  That would be a good thing to try.

I think I would consider using something else in the future.  I know I had an adhesive backed stabilizer that caused me a lot of problems and I finally tossed it out.   You might consider using the 'basting' or 'frame' stitch you probably have on your machine.  It is reliable, safe and easy to use. 

Let us know how you come out. 

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

borden47  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 6:37:01 AM(UTC)

Hello.

You did not mention what type of fabric has been stained - sounds as if every project is becoming stained by the 505 brand adhesive. Climate was mentioned.............I live on the East Coast where our temperatures range from humid to freezing cold and my product has never been affected.  Plus, a can lasts a good while and sits around until the next time.

I have been using 505 and other temeporary adhesives for over 19 years (also Photo Mount in layout design work); especially when quilting and most recently over the last 4 years on embroidering.  I have yet to have a piece of fabric become stained.  Including a ring bearer's pillow in white satin which was sprayed and embroidered in the hoopless manner.  No problem whatsoever.

I have always sprayed the fabric itself (in quilting, unable to spray the batting - "gets lost") and wait a few seconds before applying to another area.  Also, I hold the spray can a slight distance away from the fabric and spray lightly.  Over spraying at a close range may be an issue.  It only takes a small amount of spray in order to adhere.  I would also suggest not to iron the fabric directly after applying the adhesive.

The product mentioned by another reply in this forum, which is sold on ATG; 505 spray with cleaner -- the cleaner probably will not remove the stain from fabric.  The cleaner is basically meant to remove residue from surrounding areas; i.e., hoops, work surface, etc.

Joan

fg2000  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2013 5:53:43 AM(UTC)

I am also having problems with 505 Spray and Fix staining my projects. I'm using it on 100% cotton and have followed the directions on the can precisely. This has happened to me on more than one occasion. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in this product. This stuff is not cheap either. Can anyone recommend another temporary spray adhesive that renders good results?

Thank you.

fg2000  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2013 8:34:31 AM(UTC)

I was also having problems with 505 Spray and Fix Adhesive staining my fabric. I found a recipe for a great home made stain remover that does a FANTASTIC job of removing the stains. Very simple and cheap!

• one part Dawn dishwashing liquid soap (I used Dawn Ultra)
  • two parts hydrogen peroxide
  • add some baking soda for extra scrubbing power (1-2 Tbsps)

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Apply to stains with fingers or a toothbrush. Let sit for an hour. Launder as usual.

This is said to work great on all kinds of other stains as well. 
  •  

pattiann  
    #7 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2013 10:22:14 PM(UTC)

I know this formula works well for removing skunk smell from a dog's collar, but I would be careful cleaning fabric as the peroxide (3%) can bleach out color.

pattiann  
    #8 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2013 10:28:28 PM(UTC)

I had not had a problem until recently.  I used an old can that was almost empty.  In hindsight, it should have been tossed instead of trying to be thrifty.  The spotting was concentrated in one area of a sizable quilt.  I tried many things to remove the dark stain and finally just gave up and since the stain was near the outer edge of the fabric, I re-cut the fabric (once a piece of fabric is used it is sometimes difficult to match it for an additional purchase) and made the entire border narrower then added another color to make up with width.

I switched to Sulky.  I found Aleene's repositionable tacky spray adhesive but have not tried it.  Life sometimes gets in the way of having fun!

fg2000  
    #9 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2013 1:03:35 AM(UTC)

I am going to try the Sulky. Hopefully I will get better results with it.

Thanks, Pattiann.

pattiann  
    #10 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2013 4:31:42 AM(UTC)

I just now finished a small project using Sulky KK2000.  The adhesive will dissipate within a few days, or if you touch the stabilizer with a warm iron you will obtain immediate release of the stabilizer from the fabric with no residue.

fg2000  
    #11 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2013 5:51:18 AM(UTC)

Thanks again for the helpful info, Pattiann.