Notification

Icon
Error

Options
classykitty  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:26:19 PM(UTC)

Hello,

I just purchased the viking designer SE LE and tried my 512 USB stick in the embroidery machine and it would not read it.  I did use the USB stick it came with and it worked.  Am I understanding it right that you can only use the USB sticks made just for viking? Any help would be great.  Thanks.

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:42:11 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hi, Kitty.

Some brands are proprietary.  Bernina is and it sounds as though that also goes for Viking. 

I read at PatternReview where a Bernina owner was able to use the San Disc Cruzer brand by removing the stick's U3 program.  I have no idea what that means, but I use this brand as is with my Babylock.

San Disc Cruzer is not expensive, maybe you could try one.  I got mine at Radio Shack (1GB) for around $8.00.

I ready doubt if anyone representing Viking will share this information. 

If you cannot get a satisfactory response here, try posting your question at - http://sewing.patternrev...wingDiscussions/forum/25

I checked Yahoo Viking Group and there is little to no activity at the site.

Pattiann

iluvsheepies  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2009 12:18:12 AM(UTC)

I was told when I bought my SE that ONLY the Husq stick would work in the machine, they must have it locked in some way...

classykitty  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2009 2:54:46 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the replys.  I was afraid that you could only use the Viking brand. Thanks Again.

trinagray12880  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2009 4:41:37 AM(UTC)

I have the Designer I and the Designer SE and both my machines will accept USB sticks that were not specificly Viking. The owner of the shop where I bought both machines told me that the Designer I would not work with any other USB sticks, but my Designer SE (Demo model) came with a 1 gig MicroCenter USB stick, I have not had any problems with using other sticks in the SE but sometimes have issues with the Designer I. Is your 512 USB stick formatted for the designer I, if so I don't think the SE LE will find the designs, try copying the designs to the stick without using the disk manager software. Hope this helps.

leigh  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2009 4:23:43 AM(UTC)

you can use any stick in these machines check the Designer S.E. site in Yahoo.

Jeannette

classykitty  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2009 8:29:01 AM(UTC)

I wonder why my usb stick couldn't be read. I stuck the viking usb in and it read it and then I stuck my 512 usb and nothing. I did have PES designs on this usb stick but the book stats that designer se can read this format so it should have came up. Very frusterating.

pat71896  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:14:23 AM(UTC)

Make sure that your designs are NOT in a 'file folder.'  If it is in a folder, the Viking cannot read it.  Place the design directly on the USB, not in the folder and that may be your problem.  When you look at the USB drive content, it should show something like "designname.pes" (in your format).  Then the design file is out of the file folder.

Just remember, your computer on board the machine is not a "full computer" as such, it is just programmed to read the designs directly from your USB or disk.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

classykitty  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:14:18 AM(UTC)

Pat,

Thank you I will try that. That could be the problem.

squawvalleyquilter  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 1:11:33 AM(UTC)

I have used several  different brands of USB sticks in my SE LE.  I have had no problem as long as they are 2G or less.  The only Viking usb sticks that I have are the ones that came with the machine.  I don't know if its still there but Viking used to have a list of  compatible USB  sticks on their web site.

pat71896  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2009 2:35:22 AM(UTC)

squawvalleyquilter-That is a good point.  A small stick and just a few designs are the best method.  I had one stick with 80 designs on it and it took forever to load up to my machine. 

At Community Circle, June Mellinger was demonstrating the newest machine and it does load up quickly, but mine is a lesser model, so I don't have that feature.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

helenlot8  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 9:36:14 AM(UTC)

Hello Classykitty,

I have a designer SE and use different USB sticks whithout a problem

Regards,

helenlot8

marysigrid  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2009 1:40:41 AM(UTC)

I've used several different kinds of USB sticks and all have worked with my Desinger SE.  Lately I've been using a 256 Fujifilm and have had no problem.  Try, try again!  Love my DSE and know you will love yours as well!

classykitty  
#14 Posted : Monday, April 13, 2009 11:54:45 PM(UTC)

Thanks for your reply.  I will try a different USB stick.

lunashadow  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:40:00 AM(UTC)

Hi,

I have the SE,tho not the LE. Mine reads any USB sticks. I bought mine from staples 4GB I believe.(I know crazy..they were on sale..cheaper than buying a 512 megabite viking stick).

I bought one for the SE and one for the Brother and started out using them that way w/ folders on each.(keeping them labelled & separate).

A couple of times I had to use the "wrong" one to DL designs because I had both machines running and needed to pull off a design from the puter. Each machine will read the other stick...it just won't open up the design not in that particular machine's format.

Good luck...

Luna

gaba1992  
#16 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 4:50:48 AM(UTC)

I just received a Husqvarna Viking SE machine from my neighbors daughter and it does not have the USB stick. I understand you can use any USB stick but could you tell me if you need to format the USB stick to the machine. I tried coping my design to a USB stick but when I put it into the machine it did not want to open. I'm just learning how to use the embroidery machine as I've never used one before. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
donnascreations2018  
#17 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 11:54:20 AM(UTC)

New here and was looking for answer why I couldn't get the USB Stick to work but figured it out you can use any stick but it has to be formated first....so I formated using my Janome Embroidery machine and because of the Husqvarna Viking Designer SE wouldn't read it the stick and someone posted that you can use any file with the designer se I put my JEF Formated disk in the Designer SE and it worked so thanks for the help!

Donna