Notification

Icon
Error

Options
diannalynne  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2008 4:07:26 AM(UTC)

I bought some Neoprene blanks to embroider for water bottle cozies, and can cozies.  The embroidery machine is working like a champ - and I'm getting good results.  The problem comes when the sewing machine balks at sewing up the side seams. I'm trying to make neat seams by zig-zagging over the edge, but am getting skipped stitches, birds nests underneath, not a good result. 

My machine is an older Brother, so power is not the issue - does anybody have the secret to sewing Neoprene?

Thanks in advance,  DiannaLynne

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2008 5:14:09 AM(UTC)

If you can, input a photo to show what you are using and what happens. 

I did not have trouble with it, but I did have a problem because these are meant to be snug, so sewing close to the edge is important.  Keeping it in line and on the koozie (lots of spelling differences, this is just mine) under the dog feed was a challenge.  I find that putting a manually completed basting stitch did help.  It is only a few inches, so the manual sewing is not a lot of work, but it is extra work. 

What are you putting on the koozies?  I have done some for (generic) football team fans, ladies designs with crystals to add a little bling and baby sayings for moms to put a baby bottle in.  There are so many uses for them.

Pat

diannalynne  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:41:03 AM(UTC)

Let's see if this works

They're to be a fundraiser for a rescue I support.  In addition to the logo will be using some different cute dog themed designs.

the problem isn't showing here -- but it's missed stitches.  It will stitch about half the seam, leaving gaps.

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2008 10:17:50 AM(UTC)

That is one beautiful koozie and design!  You and the digitizer did a really great job!  I am really impressed with that part.  How much are you planning to sell them for?  I might suggest about $6. to $7.50 would be reasonable. 

I can see a little bit of irregularities on both sides.  I am wondering if using a glue would work.  That fabric can be really tricky with glue and certainly, if you sell these, you want your work to hold up and be a proud representative of your cause.

Did you check with the customer service at the vendor?  Do you use a piece of (left over) stabilizer so that the fabric stays the course during sewing?  When you find a solution, please let us all know.  I know it will be in the back of my mind and sometimes I find an answer out of the blue.  I know others do this as well...

Pat

diannalynne  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2008 10:51:47 AM(UTC)

If all else fails, we live in a big windsurfing area and some gearmakers are around, including wetsuit makers.  I may either pick their brains.  This one was sewn about three different times, and the fabric was beginning to look perforated.  Sad

The blanks cost me approx $2 each, and I think you're right on target on price.  I tried this one tonight on a Snapple bottle and it was a perfect fit.  Hope I figure it out - I bought 5 doz. blanks.  Good idea about checking with the vendor.  Will let you know what they say.

irie2510  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 9:11:07 AM(UTC)

I think I read somewhere that if you put a piece of tissue paper over the seam before you stitch it, that the stitches will hold, and then you just tear away the tissue paper...worth a try. Let us know if this works.

Judy W

kathlene  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 9:16:56 AM(UTC)

Dianna,

I make visors for the grands out of this stuff and also use it under my puff embroidery, so I have sewn it together a LOT! I find that I have to put a med weight stabilizer under the Neoprene, against the feed dogs, to prevent the bobbin thread and upper thread from making nests under the stitches. It also helps the feed dogs "grip" the Neoprene and move it along. I usually stitch it together initially w/ a very long stitch. On my Brother I set the stitch length for 5.0...and back off your upper thread tension too. It tends to "dent" the Neoprene into itself.

Hope this works for you...

Hugs....Kath :o)

diannalynne  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 10:18:59 AM(UTC)

Replying to both responses at once - thank you both for the advice.  I've actually stumbled on the solution with a machine I bought at an estate sale over the weekend.  It's another vintage Singer, which when cleaned up and oiled - with a new heavy duty needle, sewed the Neoprene perfectly.  I did a wide zig-zag stitch, at the very edge, kind of over the edge, and it gave a beautiful seam.

I will use the tear-away stabilizer to help with a clean start.  Thanks again.

It may be the needle, it may be the thread, it may be the machine - but I'm not going to question the good fortune.  The irony is that I didn't intend to keep the machine.  I was buying the case/desk it came in.  Beautiful, and I wanted it for my other vintage.  Instead I now need to keep it because it worked on the Koozies.  Go figure....

pat71896  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2008 10:23:06 AM(UTC)

These answers and resolutions make sense and what a happy event, getting a new-to-you machine that will perform great things!

I was looking at my koozies again, and realized that mine has a woven fabric on the inside.  I did not realize that.  Woven and non-woven do require different strategies.

Glad this worked out for everyone.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

carylanne  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 3, 2008 8:33:23 AM(UTC)

HELLO ALL,I HAVE BEEN INTERESTED IN DOING A FEW KOOZIES FOR MY FRIENDS AS GIFTS. After reading all of this I went into challenges and there was a message there as well. I answered but you all my not have read it. My tip for sewing on neoprene is to use your walking foot to move both edges at the same time. And I see you have already done the other tip, to lengthen and widen the zig zag. Also try a # 16 ball pointneedle. I like the idea of a bit of stabilizer to keep it together as well. I will try that. No one in the  notes says where to buy them. I found this web site for the can cozies  unsewn. There is two designs and a bunch of colors. If ya'll are interested. Please send the link to other blank neoprene through reply. Thanks and GREAT FUN CREATING...

diannalynne  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 3, 2008 9:12:18 AM(UTC)

They are fun to do - and you can decorate to your heart's content.  I bought mine on the wholesale link here:

http://www.thesewphisticatedstitcher.com/

because I wanted to do a lot.  I'm just using the regular foot since this machine doesn't have a walking foot, and decided the stabilizer I had was too hard to remove completely so am doing without it.  Also I 'm hooping cut-away and using spray adhesive,  then since the Neoprene wants to lift I'm securing the edges with blue painter's tape to the hoop.  Just for a little insurance.

They're coming out very nice and I couldn't be happier. 

Have fun with it -

Dianna

carylanne  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 3, 2008 9:41:06 AM(UTC)

I never thought about the painters tape, what a grand idea. Thanks DiannaLynne

Just a note about the stabilizer. i have 6 or more types of stabilizers. the one I use mose is the wash/tear away. I will probably try that on this project. However I like the idea to hoop the stabilizer  and then use the tape. I have the magna hoop maybe I will try that as well. Don't ya just love a new project.

check my stuff out on etsy.com  http://www.carylscreations.etsy.com

diannalynne  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 3, 2008 10:30:47 AM(UTC)

I just checked out your sites, and you are one busy embroiderer!  I'm pretty new to this since a friend gave me her Brother PE180D after she upgraded.  Most of my work is for a dog rescue - blankets and beds for the dogs, logo items for the gift shop online, etc. but I'm thinking of doing some things for Christmas bazaars this year. 

It's so fun, and I love hunting for new designs.

pat71896  
#14 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2008 12:55:23 AM(UTC)

I was just thinking of all the uses for these fabrics and kooziers. 

One thing about neoprene is that it has some sponge like qualities, so when you ME, you get a 3D appearance.  How fun is that?

Never a dull moment at ATG!

diannalynne  
#15 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2008 1:56:51 AM(UTC)

This is one I did for the lady who rescued my little toy poodle at death's door and on death row in the shelter. 

I'm trying to do designs that are not too stitch intensive, keeping it simple.  The trim was an experiment, I also like binding the top with grosgrain ribbon, but it's a fiddly extra step.

pat71896  
#16 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2008 2:23:12 AM(UTC)

I love it!  I never thought of a little ruffle at the top...Excellent idea!

angiehull  
#17 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2010 1:35:59 PM(UTC)

I use a walking foot with mine and it made all the difference in sewing smooth seams. My thread kept breaking until I tried this and it worked beautifully.

vancilwa  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:06:50 AM(UTC)

Following for sewingmachinespoint

Edited by user Saturday, August 19, 2017 12:03:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

regie  
#19 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 10:58:52 PM(UTC)

It's a shame that such a good forum is now inactive :(
I wish I could ask you for advice since I googled your forum while searching for information about professional sewing machines. But now it seems like nobody is going to reply. I hope, at least, that maybe my research would be helpful to those, who found this forum as I did.
https://www.ranker.com/l...uty-sewing-machine/elise
https://wisepick.org/bes...avy-duty-sewing-machine/
https://www.jenreviews.c...avy-duty-sewing-machine/

Edited by user Tuesday, September 11, 2018 11:07:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked regie for this useful post.
evgenyluka22 on 10/26/2022(UTC)