Notification

Icon
Error

Options
pat71896  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2008 10:25:51 AM(UTC)

Hey, you guys!! 

Rita Moreno fans and those of us who watched Electric Company will recognize that subject line!  I enjoyed that show and wonder where it went to?

Well, on to my problem.  Yes, The Avid Embroiderer has a problem.   I have a polyester and cotton apron for sale on my website and have sold several.  The most recent one I did, however,  has me scratching my head and wrinkling up my nose (above and beyond the wrinkles my children gave me). 

The design worked very well without puckering for at least 3 aprons that I can remember.  This one puckered up so much that I had to disassemble it.  After removing 5,800 stitches, one at a time, laborously, I restabilized the fabric. 

I felt like I had restabilized more than required.  I did an adhesive directly on the back of the apron and placed two pieces of cutaway stabilizer, all three of those in the hoop.  I placed the apron on top of the adhesive and carefully pressed to the adhesive.  It was Solvy.  I placed Ultra Solvy over the top of the apron and proceeded to stitch out the words.   This is the original in yellow, the resew is in white.

The resew was just fine as I took it off the hoop.  Since the fabric had some water soluble left on it, I decided to wash it.  It came out of the dryer just as it was originally, puckered. 

I feel like the stabilization was strong, I did everything but nail it to the machine.  The apron is polyester 35% and cotton 65%.  The thread is Hemingworth Polyselect (Marshmallow).  There is no shrinkage to the apron.  

I am looking for any ideas and or suggestions.  Here is your chance to teach me (I am reasonably trainable) what went wrong.

Pat

borden47  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:17:54 PM(UTC)

Hi Pat,

1.  Did you pre-wash the apron?  I read above twice and you made no mention of it. 

2.  I know you like to work hoopless and you like polyester blends, but polyester can shift.  I do 100% cotton mens' hankerchiefs and the cotton is such a low-grade these days, I hold those suckers for dear life.

'Member Electric Company.  Kids are too progressed these days Tongue Tied

Joan/NJ