Notification

Icon
Error

Options
cpertons  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:42:06 AM(UTC)

I'm new to the forum but I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with.  Wometimes when type a name on the Monogram Wizard (Do any of you have that?), when I put it on my machine to embroider it, it doesn't line up to be in the center of the hoop.  What is my problem?

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:51:44 AM(UTC)

Welcome to the forum and be sure to ask a lot of questions.  You have a choice of asking here, or frustration at your machine.  I personally chose the forum.

I don't have Monogram Wizard, but I did have that same problem with my Babylock.  What I did was to use a (water soluble-sewing type) marking pen to mark the grain and center of my project.  I discovered that my hoop was off by about 1/4".  That may not seem like much, but I felt it was very visible.   I would adjust my machine layout to the center point I had marked.

To see the photos, please click the link at the bottom of this message.  It shows exactly how I do mine.  I personally have no ability to center things on my own.

Pat

cpertons  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:03:33 PM(UTC)

Thanks Pat,  I do think my hoop might be off slightly but the pattern was a little over an inch off.  I'm not sure that was the problem but I am going to check that.  Thats for the tip.  I do alot of non -hooped projects and have found that that is the way to go if possible.  Thanks for the info and I am going to enjoy this forum.  Have lots to learn.    Sharon

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2008 3:04:48 AM(UTC)

Sharon -

I do unhooped as much as possible because it is flexible and easier on my hands.  I hope you saw my 'hooping blog' that I posted on 6/6 in The Avid Embroiderer. 

I have used a standard ruler to assist me with centering.  It worked sort of OK.  Then, I recently got a "Placement Kit" and am delighted to see that when I place my fabric, and the grain is just a little off, I can fix that with the kit and my machine.  Not all machines can do that, but this is really great if you have it.  

I think it boils down to determining where YOU decide where the center is and make adjustments with or without tools.  I personally cannot do a good job without the tools.  I cannot draw a straight line with a ruler and 2 good looking engineers.....

Pat

lself1  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:20:45 AM(UTC)

How could anybody draw a straight line with two good looking engineers around?Wink

pat71896  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:43:39 AM(UTC)

LOL!!  I did not recognize the REAL problem, thank you for pointing it out. 

I gotta get rid of that darn ruler, it is in the way...

Pat

bnwarner  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:31:38 PM(UTC)

Most machines come with a plastic insert guide that actuallydisplays the center point. The reason for the difference between center of the hoop and center of the stitching area has to do with the clearance of the hoop (up to as much as 1/4 inch difference between the needle point and the furthest point that will hit the edge of the hoop. I've found the guide invaluable, but I also used a permanent marker (Sharpe) that I used to mark the edges of the hoop so I can quickly eyeball center if it's not SUPER critical.

Another item is to do test stitch outs. I test all of my patterns on some inexpensive fabric for placement before sewing on a garment. I'll draw lines and place tests all over the $.99 a yard stuff to save a bunch of $5-$85 finished clothing. There's no telling how the pattern developer (or machine manufacturer) has interpretted the pattern, so test it is my best advice.