Notification

Icon
Error

Options
ritamae46  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:34:12 AM(UTC)

Ok...I've agreed about being addicted to free designs and have found many of the wonderful sites that offer them.  I've used Catalog Express to organize all the designs (more than a thousand at this point).  And I've been in overdrive sewing out designs...  Have completed more than a dozen projects in the past two weeks.  And let's don't forget that I've read every single post about every single "tool" or product that will help me to have every design succeed.  I've even learned about which needles are best and why I shouldn't use Coats prewound bobbins in my PE180-D.  Sheesh!  Talk about a crash course in Machine Embroidery!  I appreciate so m uch all the ladies who are so anxious to help.  Kudos to all of you.  Yes

So now what I think is a very major issue and getting more and more important every time I get a new pair of scissors, new threads, etc, etc, etc...how do y'all organize this stuff?  I have a bunch of SA155 bobbins coming for my machine.  Once they get here, I intend to fill two bobbins for all the colors I regularly use as well as having several bobbins with white and black.  I would prefer to keep the bobbins with the spool of the same color.  And the piles of "stuff" keep growing.  Between stabilizer, thread, fabrics and blanks, I'm accumulating a ton of stuff.  So how about some suggestions from the ladies (and any guys as well) as to how you organize all this stuff.  My guess is there are a lot of us out here who could learn from those of you who have used trial and error and have found the best way to organize your ME supplies.  Whether it's tool boxes, tote bags, tackle boxes, cabinets with glass fronts or the kitchen closet, my guess is you have some tips that will help us newbies.

Rita

jalcumbrack  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:27:07 PM(UTC)

Dear Ritamae,

Let me count they ways..................LOL. I have had the same issue with "space" and not enough of it as my list of ME stuff has grown and grown. first,go to the photos area and click on them. Within the photo's you will see one of a white stabilizer rack my Hubby and I designed and built. It also will hold all of your scissors,hoops and what ever's you can think of to put on it. You can build it bigger, or longer to accommodate how ever many stabilizer's you want, and how ever many scissors and things you want. Also you will see going through the photo's that my sewing area also contains three drawers for all those little things you simply cannot put somewhere else because you need them at hand.

Next are those pesky little bobbins that seem to accumulate with every design,lol.(they are kind of like dust bunnies they just continue to multiply) there is a product I can hook you up with called of all things " Handi-Bobs". there are two different types out there, one is just a pin so to speak that fits into your thread tops. It is great for any colors that you have bobbins for. the other type is round in shape,also fits on the top of your thread but you can only use these on certain thread tops.but they are also great for matching the color of your threads. I also have a clear plastic bobbin cases that I got I think at JoAnn's. they are very inexpensive and are very handy to keep your extra bobbins in.It keeps them in place so they don't escape,lol.(have you ever tried to catch a rolling bobbin,it should be an Olympic sport,lol) I think they even have a larger version of what I have,not sure you will have to look.

I also suggest that you get a couple of totes you can keep your blanks and fabrics in. they work great and they are stackable.I also have a little tackle box of sorts that I picked up at Lowes for around 10 bucks,that holds all of my needles,feet for my machines and anything else I can put in there that I need close at hand. It was a great little organizer because it had little separators within the drawers so you could make them as long as you needed them for small items,(can ya tell I like organizer's,lol) I have another unit on a wall that has a ton of different size drawers in it that I use for small items that I don't use as often,but still need a place for.

I also have,(go through the photo's are and you will see how I have this set up) thread holders which I also got at JoAnn's I think or Wally world,can't remember,anyway, I have them on the wall as well to save space. They hold a pretty substantial amount of thread as well as the size of the spool. The really big spools(cone threads) I have in another area.Mainly because I don't use them as often.The big unit you see in the photo's is one I got at Sam's I think. It is one of my best investments as far as organizational things.It wasn't cheap,but worth every penny I paid for it. The bins slide out for easy use,they hold a ton of stuff.The rack itself is extremely sturdy and the wheels on it lock. My water soluble stabilizer I keep in a bin I got at the office supply place for outgoing mail or something,It holds a 8x11 paper and works great for it or you could use a nice basket. I have a little heavy object I put on top so they don't blow away if I turn on my ceiling fan.

So that is all I have for you,hope this is some help to you ! Good Luck as always Ritamae!Big Smile

travelbug1237  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:00:06 AM(UTC)

HH Rita,

I am EXACTLY in the SAME boat as you as far as having stuff and needing to figure out how to store it etc.

My blog #4 is done and is hopefully at Greg's place (or it's in la la land by now.) ( I sent it from the Apple Store yesterday but not sure it made it.) Oh...this 21st century stuff!! Anyway...

It will have a few photos of what I did to get better organized and that may help you some. Yesterday's blog will be one of a series because I am only now starting to 'regroup' and make a better plan with what I currently have. As time goes on I will definitely share more ideas.

It's great to have a NEW ME'er contributing!!! Thanks Rita!!! We'll take this walk together.

:)
Cathy in Oregon