Notification

Icon
Error

Options
borden47  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:06:03 AM(UTC)

I read "Blogger Pat's" commnets within the Madeira Thread Chest forum where she stated she had a makeshift thread chest and had loose "strings" of thread.

Madeira thread is easy to contain the loose thread as they make a locking top.  But when I purchase other brands of thread, there is no method of keeping the thread attached to the spool.  That's where medical self-adhering tape comes in handy.   Originally,  I had just picked up a no-brand roll in a dollar store.  The current brand I am using is Johnson & Johnson purchased in a grocery store.

The tape comes in a roll.  I cut a piece off and attach to the end piece of thread and adhere to the spool.  No more loose ends.   The tape is totally reusable and lasts a long time. 

Joan/NJ

nmoore1965@msn.com  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2008 5:47:57 AM(UTC)

I store my thread in a tackle box that I purchased at a discount mega store. To avoid loose thread I either wind it back into the thread slot on the bobbin or use a product called Wonder Tape which is a clear, glueless, self adhering product that can be used over and over again without any residue on the thread. Long ago a Brother Educator advised me to not use conventional tape as it would loosen the thread when pulled away.

Happy sewing, Nancy

pat71896  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2008 5:54:41 AM(UTC)

Borden - you are so right!  I love the spools with a 'self-locking' spot, but the cheap threads don't have that feature. 

This self-adhering tape idea is fab!!  I had thought about trying adhesive tape but did not use it because it would leave residue on the thread.  I had tried rubber bands, hair holders, cutting notches in the spool, and, well every dumb thing I could think of.  This tape will fix that one issue in my messy drawers of thread. 

Nancy, where would I get the 'wonder tape?'  And, how big is that tackle box???  I must have at least 200 spools.  Again, I so regret not getting that Thread Chest. 

Got any ideas as to how to organize the thread?  Right now I have 3 drawers (soon to be 4) of thread and it is divided by "light colors," "medium colors" and "dark colors."  It is like I sort my laundry (LOL).  But, to be honest, that does not do a good job of organizing the spools.  

Is your method in a shallow drawer or other method?  I don't have a 'peg' type wall system and don't really like how they look especially since the threads are various manufacturers. 

Anyone have a better method?

Pat

borden47  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2008 8:47:46 PM(UTC)

Hello Pat,

I initially started with the Madeira 80-spool thread box. Then, I added an ArtBin thread box. Then, I progressed to the Madeira Thread ChestBig Smile.  Plus, I utilize a shallow desk drawer for the specialty threads; I.e., metallic’s, variegated. I do not, however, have the amount of thread that you have.

Tackle boxes are a good idea. Quilters have been using them since the 60s. However, with your 200 spool collection, you would require quite a few of those. I doubt if a tool chest would handle your inventory either.  Both can be checked out at Wal-Mart.  Maybe a rolling mechanics tool chest might handle 200 spools!!!!!!!!   Wink

The ArtBin thread box is pretty neat. It can even handle the larger spools thread. For a “look-see” and specifics, they can be located on Joann.com. These boxes are perfectly square for easy storage. They have a handle and can stand upright or stacked on top one another. There again, you would need a few.

Wonder Tape can be purchased from fabric and/or quilt shops and online. Problem being for me, nothing is relatively close to my home; hence, using the medical tape which has the same adhering elements with no residue or breakage to threads. Ahh, the self-adhering material; best thing since the safety pin -- thank you 3-M!!

Joan/NJ

jutka  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:26:04 AM(UTC)

just another idea with the thread tales.    I purchased a 1/4 yrd of vynyl table cloth cover at Wal Mart.  the lightest weight.   Cut them into 1' wide strips with the lenght about twice around the spool. It will stick to itself and cost is very small, makes hundreds.   Judit

borden47  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 30, 2008 4:09:33 AM(UTC)

Hi.  That is really a good idea with the vinyl table cloth fabric.  Rotary cut those strips in no time. 

Not sure where your location is but the Wal-Marts in my area are doing away with the fabric department.  Some have brought their inventory down to nothing.   Between Wal-Mart, Rag Shop going out of business and fabric stores just about non-existant for the "quick run to the store" concept, I look for alternatives.

Joan/NJ

lself1  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 31, 2008 7:34:42 AM(UTC)

Love the Wonder Tape idea! I've been using strips of Glad Press-'n-Seal.  It works, but after a few  "un-wraps" it has to be replaced.  Next time I'm in the big city, I'm getting some wonder tape! By the way, I store all my thread in one of those plastic stacking drawer units.  The drawers are too deep, but I saw some in the new JoAnn's the other day that are shallow. The unit was five or six drawers high.  I think it will be ideal.   Thanks again for the tape idea.

Linda