Notification

Icon
Error

Options
travelbug1237  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:42:39 PM(UTC)

What product you use to retain colors in the fabric, especially black?

jalcumbrack  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2008 2:40:00 AM(UTC)

Geeked  I use Woolite for colors,it works pretty good.I would be interested in what others use as well.

lpetersen  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:55:08 AM(UTC)

I AM CHEAP....I use cold water and white vinegar to set colors.....usually a cup to a washer load

Laura
koehrer  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2008 3:04:37 AM(UTC)

When in doubt I go back to what to what I was taught in 4-H 50 years ago.  Disolve 1 c. salt per gallon of water cool, soak fabric for 30 minutes.  Washing in cold water is also best for natural fabrics especially black.  Man made fabrics that are vat dyed ( while still in a liquid state befor being formed into treads seldom fade, but man-mades should never be washed or dried at high temps--the can melt or the fibers can be weakened.

acoyoli  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2008 10:31:54 AM(UTC)

Well, the two ways I have learned.

You can add white vingar to cold water and soak the item, this is also good for soaking out stains.

My mother used to get material from Mexico and would always soak it in cold water with a cup of salt. This sets the color.

I have a Brother 4500 Duette Embroidery and Sewing machine. I love it.

Anita

hfroese  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:22:14 PM(UTC)

I use a product called Retayne and it works very well, on all fabrics and colours.

Hilda

ejboom12  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:49:06 PM(UTC)

I am a quilter as well as doing embroidery.  I use a product called "Retayne"  made by G& K Craft Industries Ltd, Somerset, Ma.  I always use with all dark cottons as it stops the bleeding.  1 teaspoon per yard of cotton fabric in HOT water. Do a 20 minute wash in machine with cold rinse.  Thereafter wash in cold water.  It keeps my quilts bright with original colors.

sherri_johnston2003@yahoo.com  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:02:26 PM(UTC)

The common laundry trick is to rinse all dark colors in vinegar and it will set the fabric.  Also there is Woolite for dark colors.

I am looking for a tiger face butterfly pattern.  Do you have any idea where i can find it.

jalcumbrack  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:39:04 PM(UTC)

Well Sherri,

You stumped me on the  tiger faced butterfly pattern. I am not sure I have ever seen one like that.Are you looking for a tiger face with butterflies in the design? Or is there actually a tiger face butterfly? I just looked through my designs,246 butterfly designs and no tiger face one.Let us know and I am sure some one will help to find it.

If not you may have to combine some designs to get what you want.

borden47  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 2:53:17 AM(UTC)

Hello All.

Tiger-Faced Butterfly are seen in tattoo's and sticker art.  I have seen tiger-faced butterfly patches already embroidered out.  I did look on an Urban designs site and they did not have any. 

Good Luck in finding a design.

Joan/NJ

jalcumbrack  
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:41:03 AM(UTC)

Thanks Joan,

I did not know that! I guess I haven't been looking at tatoo's and sticker's.That is good to know.(I think I am telling my age again here somehow,LOL)

Good luck in your search!Smile

borden47  
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:29:01 AM(UTC)

Oh Judy, must get off this computer.  Been downloading designs to USB drives and they are not responding....arrrrrrgggghhh.  My old USB is working fine but newly purchased ones, not so much.

Age was not showing Judy.  I am 3 years older than you; 'cept my grandson is 7 and granddaughter is 12 and Urban designs are very unique currently.  I personally like them.  Felt good this past weekend when granddaughter wanted a beach bag like mine.  Like WHOA!!!!

The Tiger-Faced butterfly is interesting from an artistic view and extremely colorful.  Would be an embroidery nightmare though.  Go online and do a search.  The patches are really nice.

Joan/NJ

ejboom12  
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 11:38:51 AM(UTC)

There is a design caller "Butterfly face" on Secrets of Embroidery website.  If you do a search for it on their website it should come up.  It may be something like what you are looking for.   Joan BC

ejboom12  
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 12:30:34 PM(UTC)

I also found a free design of a butterfly with a tiger face on its wings on Ann the Grans free design area.  The design is by Cindy Knoch.  Hope one of these is what yoy are looking for.   Joan in BC

jalcumbrack  
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:04:19 PM(UTC)

Thanks Joan, I will do that so I can see what they look like. Good luck with your computer and usb drives!Smile

jalcumbrack  
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 7:08:44 PM(UTC)

I went out there and found some really beautiful one's but you are right .I am not so sure sewing it out would be so bad,but digitizing it would be a nightmare.They are quite beautiful.Thanks Joan,I learned something new! I like that!

shester  
#17 Posted : Sunday, June 8, 2008 12:51:16 AM(UTC)

I use vinegar and detergent.  It seems to work very well.

Sybil