Notification

Icon
Error

Options
revesther  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:52:20 PM(UTC)

I am fairly new at embroidery/quilting, etc. and love my new hobby.  I would like to know how y'all manage your time.  I hear your stories and you create so many beautiful things.  "Sew much to do and sew little time." :>)  Are you at your craft from 6 am to 9 pm?  I make one project and then feel like I take a week to get reorganized or so it seems--which is very frustrating to me.  Also, any suggestions on sewing room organization and how do I handle my scraps!!!  By the way, what exactly is a "scrap."  I save it all.  Thanks to you all.  I love your discussions.  Blessings Esther 

hammockhanger  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:53:59 AM(UTC)

Time mgmt.. that is a laugh.  However, there are days when I am on a roll and am in my sewing room from early morning until late at night.  I usually have 2 machines going.

Normally though I just manage to put one project a day or every other day in the machine.  At present  I am making beach towels for all the guests that are coming to my Memorial Day Pool Party.  I do a towel a day and move on to other stuff.

Currently I am working on 9 quilts, 4 UFO quilts, a doll, and the beach towels.  On my desk is a box with umpteen "to do" projects.

Just take one thing and tackle it, breathe, move on...

Sue 

revesther  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2008 11:10:11 AM(UTC)

Thanks you!  I am beginning to feel normal now because what you do is very much like my days.  I see you keep a "box" with your projects.  I have fabric and ideas and when the time allows, and I remember where I put the fabric--do the two come together--most of the time :>).   I can keep focused and complete my projects--which I do like to do.  I did make two dolls with their dresses, and dresses for my grand daughters and have completed 5 lap quilts, drapes, a chefs hat and apron for my grand son and son (fun projects), and even a skirt or two for myself.  I am very intrigued with heirloom sewing and very nervous to give it a try.  I also love quilting.  So, as you can see, I am also questioning myself if I should "specialize" in one area.  At the moment, I am just enjoying the finished product and get excited at the next challenge.  I feel like a bouncy ball but bouncy balls are fun.

Thanks again, Sue--be blessed Esther 

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:02:52 AM(UTC)

Tme management is an issue for us all (IMHO).  I have no answers except to say that if you focus on what you need to do and then, as a reward, spend time on what you want to do, that works for me.

I also use a method: 

1) What do you want to get accomplished?

2) Select a finishing time - say 4 hours from now.

3) WORK backward from that time, allotting x minutes to each task and determine when you should end one and begin another.

The working backward sort of sets up time lines and a goal.  At 4 hours from now, look back and determine what you could have done better.  Stop beating yourself up.....  Practicing this method helps me think of my time differently and I do say to my self "it is 4 hours later, and I did accomplish X.  Good for me!!!"

Pat