Notification

Icon
Error

Options
pattiann  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 1, 2013 12:52:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Maybe I am the only one who splashes their tops when doing the dreaded laundry or general cleaning.  This ends up loooking like a bleach splash that has left a white spot.  Okay if the top is white, but many of mine are solid colors.

I rescue my tops by embroidering over the spot in question and then add a few more embroideries here and there to mask the obvious.

Here is my technique:

Wash and press the top.  Fabric softener use does not seem to matter.

Turn the shirt inside out and attach cut away stabilizer large enough for the hoop to catch it.

Use an iron-on stabilizer or temp spray adhesive to keep the T and stabilizer as one.

Turn the shirt inside out and place target stickers or bits of painter's tape where you want to place the embroideries.

Working on a firm surface, slip the outer hoop inside the shirt.

Work the inner hoop into place so you have the "spot" in position for embroidery and have caught the stabilizer.  Bring the rest of the shirt up and around the hoop so it does not get caught by the needle.....and do not walk away while the machine is running.  You can hair clip the excess fabric out of the way, but it can still fall into the hoop.  And, Murphy's Law predicts something negative will happen as soon as you turn your back....

If you use a large hoop, you may be able to do more than one embroidery. If not, re-hoop and continue with the embroidery.

You will soon have many one of a kind tops.

I prefer Titanium coated needles as they stay cooler than a regular needle and do not soften the adhesive, which can result in gummy thread that breaks.

I have not had any puckering, but if you want to do just one large embroidery, there will be more stitches and basting can add to the security of the top to the stabilizer.   If your embroidery machine has frames, choose the one with running stitches and edit the frame to the size needed.