Notification

Icon
Error

Options
pat71896  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:57:59 AM(UTC)

During my last two blogs - 2/8/2013  and  1/25/2013  both highlighted the Freebies available here at AnnTheGran and noted just how valuable your membership in Ann's Club really is.

I have been, among other things, checked out some of the freebies here and at other sites.  Well, I do want to reiterate - a Freebie is only worth it if it is quality.  A freebie should be to demonstrate the characteristics of the design and its MANY components.  Digitizing is just one and I am not happy to pay any price for poor quality.  Conversely, I expect to pay (and be paid for mine) for work of quality.  In fact, in the second blog (noted above) the design costs $75!!!  That does not include anything but the DESIGN.

I just finished a freebie from another site and found:

1. the skin thread was the same as a piece of furniture (it was digitized all together - they continued from the arm right to a chair. . . . and from a shoe to a lamp)
  2. The jumps were really strange, some went from corner - bypassing many points that were jumped to after the long jump - there were tiny flowers on a little girl's dress.
  3. The item was done mostly in a single stitch, it was not a 'redwork' type of design, but the hair was thin and the dress outline (some of it) was thin and some thick without regard to lighting or distance from the view point - perspective.

My bridal site demands that my work meet a wedding quality standard and I expect all my designs to meet that criteria.  Even a 'bring your own dish' wedding deserves to be heirloom quality.  Expect, demand it Ann sells it.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

marsuz  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:08:43 PM(UTC)

Hi Pat,

When I first started doing this I thought the '''freebees' were the way to go.  Now after doing this for years I now know you get what you paid for, 90% of the designs I got for free have been delated from my computer. There are some places that do give out beautiful designs for free but they also want you purchase more from them.

Know who are dealing with, if a free deign doesn't stitch out right NEVER buy one from them, I will tell you if they put out bad freebee's when they know we'll try them they won't make better ones to sell.

Marge in Fl.

pat71896  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 2:08:18 AM(UTC)

Thanks, Marge - Experience has proven what you say, be selective, you are spending your time and effort and want to have a product that you will be proud to give or display. 

Newbies are the big downloaders of these items, seasoned embroiders know that you need to be familiar with a designer and you will find your own personal favorites. 

I must say, I have been impressed with BellaMia, available here.  I was not familiar with the designer, but after using the freebie, I knew I had a new and dependable source.  I did show another design in my blog.

Price of a design does not give any indication of its quality either.  However, I recognize that people do deserve to be paid for their work.  When you pay just a couple of dollars for a design, it may or may not mean lack of quality.  But I want to encourage a talented artist.  Payment is the key, buy where you appreciate fine work and good tips, tricks and ideas.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer