Notification

Icon
Error

Options
pottersclay  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2012 8:17:59 AM(UTC)

I was wondering if someone could help with the best way to hoop a linen hanky or napkin to be able to machine embroider in the corner of the napkin? I was taught that what you embroidered needed to be tight in the hoop but to be close enough to do the corner I am not sure the whole corner can be hooped. I hope I am explaining this well enough ?  I was thinking of using a sticky back and not hooping the one side but thought I would check with the experts first!

Thank you in advance with any help, DeniseBig Smile

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:23:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Sticky back would hold the corner.  Just hoop the stabilizer and not the napkin/hanky/cuff/collar or other unhoopable item.

pottersclay  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2012 10:31:23 PM(UTC)

Thank you ! Now I need some titanium needles!

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 6, 2013 10:34:46 AM(UTC)

I love your name - pottersclay - that sounds like you are a work in progress and looking forward to wonderful things!

I agree with Pattiann and want to add that you can use another item, heavy tearaway.

One thing I have done is put my napkin in a 5x7" (normally you would use a 4x4) but place the napkin higher than you would normally.  Then use your 'frame' or 'baste' feature on your machine (one of my FAVORITE features), to do a single stitch baste on a square that you have turned 45 degrees.

Leave in the temporary straight pin but stop it short of getting stitched.  The stabilizer should be the proper size for the 5x7" hoop and it is captured in all 4 sides but the napkin is only captured on three.  That is why it needs a temporary straight pin.

The advantage of this method is that, the closer to the edge your design must be, the more obvious it is when the design is not well aligned (centered).  If you are 1.5 to 2" away from the edge, you may be able to get away with your design not being perfectly placed.  However, when you are close to the edge, even 1/16" off will show.

Hope this helps!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

pottersclay  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2013 10:46:52 PM(UTC)

Thank you Pat! I love the illustration! Yes, I am definitely a work in progress.So much to learn and do. It is endless and I am glad.

Blessings, Denise