Notification

Icon
Error

Options
taishoandkulo  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:06:48 AM(UTC)

I am a machine embroidery "newbie" as I have had my Brother SE400 for about a year now.  I want to embroider a design on the front left chest area on a sweatshirt for my husband, but am not sure how much or what kind of stabilizer to use.  One site I went to suggested to use a non-tear-away stabilizer on the bottom and a water soluable stabilizer on top of the sweatshirt, and another site said to use tear-away stabilizer on the bottom and nothing on the top.  Help!  I want it to come out correctly and don't know what to use...thanks for your advice!

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:13:20 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Using a topper will help the design to be more prominent as this type of stabilizer holds the thread a tiny bit away from the garment as it is stitching.

For the back stabilizer, it will depend on the design.  For letters a cut away stabilizer is best.

I believe I would use the combination of the topper and cut away stabilizer.

When a garment is to be worn next to bare skin, it is best to use an iron-on covering to help eliminate having the rough side (back) of the design from irratating/scratching the skin.  I use iron-on Tricot interfacing sold in fabric stores.  If you are unfamiliar with sewing products, ask the sales staff as this product usually comes wrapped around a cardboard tube and you want to purchase a yard or less and not the entire bolt, which would probably be around 15 yards.

Here is an example of how the covering is used - http://www.allstitch.net...ng-dream-weave-10326.cfm

When in doubt about a product, stitching out a new design for the first time or combining letters, test on a garment of "like" fabric.  This will take more time and product, but will be worth it for successful/professional results.

Best wishes for many successful projects!