Notification

Icon
Error

Options
lana023  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 12:04:54 AM(UTC)

Oh yes...I said questionS.  I'm sure this is going to be pretty loaded and rambeling. Tongue Tied

First off, HI!  I'm new here and I will be recieving my PE770 on tuesday. 

I've done tons of researching on different forumns and such, but can't seem to find all my questions answered.  Keep in mind, I am TOTALLY new to this world of embroidery (and sewing for that matter) and you'll be able to tell with my questions!

1.  Tread-  what is your favorite embroidery thread that I can buy at a place like Joanns that can be used with PE 770?

2.  Prewound bobbins-  I see that the 90# class A is what the manufacter sends with the machine---not so sure what all that jargon means, but if I look for "90# class A bobbin thread," at Joanns, will I be good to go?

3. Probably will be embarressed after I ask this, but I see that most bobbin colors are white and black.  I thought they needed to be the same as the top thread?  Are bobbin threads not shown on the product?  ....Told ya, I'm new.

4.  If I want to buy an applique design online, and then put a name underneath it....can I first do the applique and then move the hoop and do the name speratly OR do I need special expensive software to combine both the applique and the name?

5.  I'm having a baby in 2 months (along with most of my friends) and plan on mostly monogramming/appliqueing baby items, such as burp cloths, onsies, small recieving blankets----should I buy the 4X4 hoop also?  Will that make it easier or is it a waste of $30?

6. Stabalizers---If I buy one kind---maybe just the cut away kind---will I be set for most projects?

7. Needles--What needle do I need to make sure to always have around?  Any special kind for burp cloths, onsies, light weight blankets or towels OR is there one specific one that I can use for all?

OKAY...Thank you do anyone who has the patience and knowledge to answer these questions.  I'd greatly appreciate any help!!!

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 1:16:23 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Welcome to ATG.

Begin with learning the machine.  This means sitting down at the machine with the manual.  As you read, apply each step of every feature.  This way you will not miss any important steps.  It won't take long and will save you valuable downtime during a project.

The thread sold at JoAnn will be Sulky, Gutermann and Coats & Clark.  I have use all these brands as well as Robison-Anton and Madeira.  I prefer Madeira and have found black Sulky and C&C tends to shred if the design calls for a lot of black (like a black cat and not outline stitching).  Buy the basics: red, white, blue, yellow, green, gray, brown and black to begin with.  For baby products that may come in contact with chlorine bleach, use polyester thread instead of rayon, which can bleed or fade when it comes in contact with bleach.  I do not use bleach as it is detergent that destroys germs - you wouldn't use hot water and bleach to wash your hands, body or baby!

Practice on tea-towels, shirts and anything fabric.  Use cut away stabilizer for knits and designs with lots of stitching.  Tear-away for smaller designs like the appliqué and letters.  Wash away stabilizer to use as a topper when embroidering napped fabrics (like terry cloth).

90 weight bobbin thread may not be available at JoAnn.  Most bobbin thread is 60 or 70 weight.  The higher the number the thinner the thread. Bobbin thread is black or white because the bobbin thread is suppose to pull the top thread slightly to the bottom.  Not like sewing where the stitch is balanced.  If you have problems finding 90 wt bobbin thread, the bobbin case has a screw for adjusting the tension and a very sight turn to the left will loosen the tension for a heavier bobbin thread,

For needles, it is just the opposite - the higher the number the larger the needle.  Buy an assortment of machine embroidery needles, including for knit. 

I would do the appliqué first, then place the letters accordingly.  This should be done first with a template.  You can use plastic sheet protectors to trace the designs to help with the alignment.  Tutorial - http://www.itsseweasytv....102/Itsseweasy_102-3.pdf

The smaller hoop may not be necessary.