Notification

Icon
Error

Options
mrsyowder  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 11:42:11 PM(UTC)

I am doing some Redwork guest towels and have been trying different stabilizers. I got a heat-away type to try, but was disappointed in that the width stated was an inch wider than actual product. I had to baste an add-on strip to use it in my 5 x 7 hoop.

I was in the habit of spraying my other stabilizers with a sticky spray for even hooping, but that seems to make it much more difficult to tear away.

For a rework quilt I did once I used a sheer cutaway, and that worked great, but for the gust towels I don't want stabilizer showing on the back. Also trying to avoid wetting the towels afterward.

Just wondering if any of you have any preferences.

Thanks!

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:49:39 AM(UTC)

You can try a couple of things = doing a discovery sew = testing different things.

One thing you may want to do is use a lot less spray, just a small amount is the best.  When doing a napped fabric, even that amount of spray can be too much. 

The next thing I would do is to baste the stabilizer on to the fabric.  For some reason, people think that they have to baste outside of the design.  You can base within the design too.  There might be one or two pieces of the baste stitch that might be hard to get out, but usually removing basted stitching is easy.  Also, use the same color baste thread as the fabric.  If a small part is left behind, no harm, no foul.

Next, I would use the heat away even if you have to put two pieces together. I don't baste, I just lay them together.  I do it all the time.  The textured side 'grabs' the fabric quite well. Use it on the bottom side and simply tear it away.  It works for me but I use it on a cotton hankie. 

I did a blog on 'taming the hoop monster' this week.  Perhaps you may get an idea or two from it. 

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer