Notification

Icon
Error

Options
beverlyjane  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 1:04:10 AM(UTC)

I think I have answered my questions but here it is to be sure.  First I have only Floriani Embroidery thread (mistake #1)

I want to have a color on my bobbins too.  I don't want only white or black.  Can I use regular embroidery thread.  I have a Baby Lock A2 machine.

I now know that all that thread they sold me is for the junk pile.  It is what they sold me when I bought the machine.  I am trying my best to teach myself.  (old dog of 72 but I want to make children's clothes as there are many where we live that go without).  

Now I will go and try to buy Rayon Maderia thread for Robert A??? Is that ok??

There is no where here where I can learn.  Your help is greatly appreciated.  (I am ready to jump of a very high bridge).

Bev

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:35:11 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Just because someone has a problem and was using a particular brand  of thread does not mean that brand is defective.  Before throwing all the thread away, test the different colors.  If the issue is not the machine or the operator, then contact the company to see if they will give you credit for a future purchase of their other products.  Or, check back with the merchant from which you purchased the embroidery machine.  It may need an adjustment.  When taking a machine in for service include samples of any issues you have been experiencing. 

You can try using the same thread in the bobbin, but be sure to do a test stitch-out first to be sure having a heavier thread in the bobbin will provide a desirable product.

Madeira is a fine brand as is Robison Anton, if that is what you mean by Robert A.

No matter the brand there are occasions where a spool will not be up to par and should not be considered as an example of the brand.

pat71896  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:42:22 AM(UTC)

My dear Bev - I am 68 years young - I refuse to let a little old lady in side my body and I think you are much the same!!

I did a blog on your 'mistake' #1 brand and I agree whole heartedly.  I had nothing but trouble with it and I have a ton of it as well.  I have not given up on using it.  I think I can do some things with it but never plan to use it for a 'discovery sew' aka sew out.  It is consistently inconsistent.  I might use it for mending or playing around with other issues. 

Incidently, when I offered others to email me for the name of the brand (I did not name it in the blog), I was surprised that several of them had the same belief.  You are not alone.

There are several sites that sell color bobbins but I found that they never really matched or seemed to come close to my needs.  I don't really have an answer for you except to try to find #60 weight thread to meet your needs and wind your own bobbins.  Please understand that prewound bobbins are the best but if you insist on your own color, it is what you will need.

If you are using light colors like yellow, pink and other pastels, you may find the white bobbin thread is really adequate.  Medium dark blue works for many of the dark colors as well. 

This site is the best on the Internet for information.  It is organized with Forum questions and Blog information that will keep you informed and very busy.  Tips and tricks are plentiful on the Net but be sure you are using a trusted source.  Emblibrary is a good place too.  Not every tip/trick will work for every embroiderer.  That are variables every step of the way.  Using the tips, discovery sew and your own common sense works 99% of the time.

I did this Forum Tutorial and it works for about any machine, it is the information that is the star.  Newbies and experienced embroiderers can always learn (ME INCLUDED) or get a tip we have forgotten. 

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

ladylanie57  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:53:12 AM(UTC)

Not sure how to get to your email but I am curious about the thread. Also, what is the thread you use most?  Elaine  

marsuz  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 10:30:41 PM(UTC)

Hi Bev,

We all made mistakes when we started this hobby, I can't tell you how much 'junk' I bought in the beginning.  I agree with you on the thread, my machine does not like it either.  I was told that there was a fix to the machine to make it like the thread but I won't do that being I can use just about any other brand with no problems.

You said you want to make kids clothes, use the thread for regular sewing and when you do garment sewing you need the bobbins to match.  I am sure it will run in the machine.

If you run into any other problems we are here to help.

Marge

pattiann  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2012 11:39:51 PM(UTC)

Agree.  Nothing was mentioned about embroidery, just sewing.  This would be an entirely different situation as you would not want to use machine embroidery thread for sewing.

pat71896  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:24:16 AM(UTC)

Bev - you have opened an interesting conversation.  Marge and I probably have enough 'junk' to fill a small Uhaul.  Everyone says their's is best, etc.  Naturally, Pattiann hit the nail on the nose when she said there was no mention of embroidery.  So, I did jump to a conclusion, probably because I am such an embroidery enthusiast.

Some of the items are tried and true.  For me, Madeira thread is just that but I also bought a snip type of scissors from them and I tossed them away. . . .

The best we can all do is share our experiences and learn together.  For me, that is specifically the best thing about the embroidery community.  We share and discuss.  No one is 100% right or wrong, it is just what we experienced.  I do live where the humidity is low (San Diego) and where the humidity is higher, there may be a different outcome.

I would really like to hear from anyone who has had a good experience with this thread.  I am sure the manufacturer has tested the thread and gone through rigorous quality control.  Who would create a product and not do their due diligence?

BTW, I love to show my latest items, so here it is!  I got a request from a client who was about to Baptist their little Girl.  Here is what I made for them -

marsuz  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:55:50 AM(UTC)

Pattiann, there is no reason not to use the thread for sewing.  It is a 40wt poli and a very strong thread.  I use it all the time in regular sewing or quilting.  Every quilt I do is quilted in poli.  I have not used cotton in a long time. 

She can use it all she wants, in fact in kid clothes it will work better because it will take alot of bleaching.

Marge

marsuz  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:06:07 AM(UTC)

Pat, a friend of mine has a Viking and another one a Bernina and they both run fine on Floriani.  Both the gals laugh when I tell them my Janome doesn't like it.  Each machine has a mind of its own and I think one of the reasons mine don't that if you look at the thread closely it is twisted.  That is what give it the high sheen that it has.

Floriani is a fine company and I only use their stablizers, to me they are they best I have ever used and I have tried a lot of brands. 

Marge

pat71896  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:50:04 AM(UTC)

Thank you Marge!  I know they cannot stay in business if they cann't sell it!  I too do use some of the Floriani Stabilizers.

pattiann  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:07:55 PM(UTC)

If it works for you, so be it.

Out of curiosity, I asked C&C for clarification.  Their response is for their product and may be different than what other companies produce.  C&C was just easier to contact for asking questions -

"Polyester sewing thread and polyester machine embroidery thread are constructed differently.  Our Dual Duty XP thread has a polyester core that is wrapped with polyester fibers. Two plies are twisted together. Our Coats Polyester embroidery thread is a trilobal thread. It is made of 2 plies of a continuous filament of polyester that is triangular in shape to give it more luster. Polyester sewing thread is stronger than the embroidery thread.

To make it more confusing, the two types of thread uses different thread sizing systems so that a size 40 thread is not the same as a 40 wt. thread. To read more about thread sizes and weights, read
"Unraveling the Mystery of Thread Size"

marsuz  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2012 9:28:53 PM(UTC)

PattiAnn,

My answer is based on what to do with thread that you have already that doesn't work on a  project ie Embroidery.  Polyester embroidery thread CAN be used for sewing/quilting.

Now would I go out and buy embroidery thread to sew or quilt with NO. But if I have thread here that I can't use would I throw it out at $5.00 or more a spool or would I find something to use it on?  That was the statement I made. I majored in merchandizing so I do know a thing about fabric and thread.

Marge

pattiann  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:53:13 AM(UTC)

I only posted the latest information from one manufacturer because they can (and do) change the composition of their products from time to time.

The information provided was for those interested in the discussion and not anyone in particular. 

Individuals can make their own decisions based on what works best for their particular craft.