It seems like it was very recent when we were learning computers, the Internet and cell phones. I am on my sixth computer and I cannot remember how many cell phones I have had. Change is inevitable; stand still and you will be run over.
Sky Drive, a program by Microsoft, is one of the most recent innovations. It was trailing behind Google Documents and other ‘free' software programs, but since its inception on June 15, 2010, I think it has become a true contender. (Imagine Microsoft having to ‘contend' with anyone. . . .)
If you have not tried Sky Drive, you owe it to yourself to at least check it out. Software, the lifeblood of Microsoft and many other companies, is free. Let me restate that, there is no charge for using the software.
There is one ‘catch'- - and catch has such a bad name (poor PR no doubt), you can only use it online, you are not using it on your computer.
That is such good news, I cannot emphasize that enough, and it is good news for these (among others) reasons:
- As software does more and more, it takes more and more memory. Eventually, it just fills up your computer. Further down the line, it will be too memory hungry for any computer.
- There is no charge for the use of the facilities.
- Saving files is really ‘problem proof.' You cannot lose your documents, they will likely never become corrupt. Your hard drive may crash, but your document is safe.
- You don't have to buy anything.
- You can share your document with whomever you choose. You both can work on that document (photos are included in this system) and be in different cities, states, countries, continents - and perhaps someday, worlds.
- They give you 25 GB of free storage for photos (memory hogs) and documents. Imagine never losing another photo!
- Software available is: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote; everything is password protected through your sign in. Then, you select if others can read, write, delete or change your items.
- Did I mention it is free?
Well, you get the picture/photo.
I will walk you through the general process.
- You will need to have a Windows profile. You may already have one. Hotmail, Messenger or MSN are part of the family of Microsoft Windows applications. If not, you will need to sign up for one of them.
- Once you have completed that, you are done!
Go to your program in which you are registered, mine is Hotmail. You will have a link at the top of the window indicating your Sky Drive "Office" area. For this exercise, enter using "Your Documents."
Your first time in Office, you will be selecting limits for your profile.
You can also allow permissions and limits down to the document level.
Let's get in via the Documents link:
And through to My Documents, to begin working (this is my personal preference, you may select a different folder or create one yourself). Make sure you select Personal until you are ready to work with others and share your documents and/or work:
After selecting My Documents, I can either upload by browsing or create a new document.
Now, if you wanted to purchase my spreadsheet "How Much to Charge" for computing the amount to charge on your embroidery work, you can do so without having to buy Excel!
Well, the rest is up to you. You can do so much online and at any computer than has a browser.
Here is the next installment of my tips on Catalog Xpress. I hope you have found them helpful; I enjoy bringing them to you. Always try to get the best and highest use of all your programs. You will be pleasantly surprised at what they will do for you.
BTW, Alpha Xpress is on sale this week, 40% off, take advantage of a really fantastic program and a terrific price. Write on!
- Keep notes on issues (your input) - Notes
- Search by the usual information AND by Notes - Search
- Resize designs - Resize
- Convert the format - Conversions
- Recolor designs and background colors - Recolor
- Categorize designs in multiple subjects (place a design of girl in garden watching a butterfly in multiple categories)
- Arrange designs in multiple methods (Name, Type, Number of Stitches, Colors, Dimensions)
- Print the entire catalog of designs in 3D (as small or large as I like)
- Work with Alpha Xpress to create wonderful projects.
As I have mentioned before, I have a large number of designs. I collect them, enjoy them and sometimes, cannot find them. This is another super way Catalog Xpress is helpful for me.
This design has so many items that I might want to consider for a project. I will look over the pattern and place the ‘data' (remember, Catalog Xpress does not hold the design, it holds the information about the design) in several places. Let me list a few here, some are obvious, but some may be just a little covert:
- Pine tree
- Birds (there are 2)
- Rabbit (do you see it?)
Now, here are some that are more subtle:
- Child (cool on a backpack)
- Seasons (a possible set of 4 designs)
- Animals (general)
- Multiple Sizes (I have this design in 3 sizes)
When I am looking for an idea, because sometimes I get a bit of a ‘block,' I may look for a concept rather than something specific in an image.
I could have this in 11 different categories, but only have a single design on my computer.