Photo Applique

Part of machine embroidery is that we love to make special things for friends and family. One of my most favorite gifts, was a family monogram split applique featuring photos of family members. It was to commemorate my parents's 50th wedding anniversary.

Split applique designs are pretty popular, but this one added a lot of sentiment. I started with an applique design of the family surname monogram.

The full article was featured in the Jan/Feb 2016 Designs in Machine Embroidery magazine.

I used the PDF of the applique placement stitches 

as a stencil over which to place photos. 

Photo tips:
  • Scan at 300 dpi
  • Use a photo editing program like Photoshop or Pixlr (free)
  • Convert to black and white for tone-on-tone
  • Use quality photos - not from social media
  • Blend edges
  • Overlap edges of the 
  • Keep crosshairs
  • If you are not familiar with photo editing programs, find someone who is!

When you have the photos arranged properly, print them on fabric. Although there are fabric sheets you can run through your printer, I chose myfabricdesigns.com. They have more than two dozen fabric choices and quality printing.

Stitch the photo fabric just like a traditional applique. Placement stitches (above).

Use the crosshairs printed on the photo to help with centering the photo fabric over the placement stitches.

Stitch the tack-down stitches and trim like any other applique. Then, continue stitching the design.

Pop it in the frame for a truly one-of-a-kind gift.

Debbie SewBlest