Unique Thread Storage Ideas

Just because you use thread doesn't mean you can't enjoy it in the process. Here are some unique ways for storing thread.

Shutters

Nancy Silvernale posted this project on the Machine Embroidery Help Facebook page. She took a pair of six-foot shutters and drilled holes into which she glued quarter-inch dowel cut into two-inch lengths. Pretty awesome!

Fly Tying Spool Holder

This was another surprise. It is a spool case for... fly tying supplies sold by Cabella's. Regular thread would work just as well!

Drawers

Here is another novel idea from QuiltingBoard.com. It was created by framing out two drawers on their sides and adding dowels set at an angle. This one was built for long arm thread but would work just as well for sewing and embroidery thread sizes.

Jewelry Organizer

No finish work needed for this one from MadeOnMonday.com. A jewelry holder makes the perfect thread organizer and easily hangs out of the way when not in use.

Frames

DamaskLove.com has a tutorial on turning a frame, some dowels, and cup hooks into a fabulous thread holder.

What thread storage ideas do you have?

Debbie SewBlest

Comments (3) -

These are great ideas! My thread storage is a mess. I have tried a number of things.

The jewelry pockets will allow for adding bobbins AND a note or two about the thread. I have some threads that are tricky and need unique instructions for their best use.

May you be blessed in ways you have not yet imagined.  

Pat

I admit it .... I'm new at embroidery.  I've done a few stitch-outs which have gone great.  However, I'm spending more of my time hunting for the right color # on my thread than I do with the design. I have 3 different brands of thread and I'm going batty trying to get the right color.  Any suggestions?

desertsyl - just eyeball it! I never use suggested thread colors. I choose the colors that I have (or go buy one if I don't have anything close). Many times, the colors are a completely different pallet alltogether. Sometimes I even mix rayon and polyester. Smile