AnnTheGran is Getting a Facelift!

Dear Friend, 2008 is going to be quite a year for me, and I hope it will be for you as well. My big news is that AnnTheGran is getting a complete facelift! No, I don't mean me -- I like myself the way I am (well, most days anyway) -- I mean my site! You see, as we've grown, some of my s... [More]

Personal Holiday Greeting from Ann (AnnTheGran) Cobb

In December, 1996, AnnTheGran's Design Exchange had been online for 2 months, and it was all very, very new. Our small community had shared a hundred or so designs and I sent the Christmas greeting you see on your right, created around my greatest blessings at the time.AnnTheGran, my Internet ni... [More]

Charity Project - Star Bunting with Polar Fleece Blanket

Every child is precious but sometimes the families of certain little ones face unique challenges. The charity FHCS (Faith Hope & Charity Stitches) has a very special way of sharing their love of sewing and embrodiery. The tiny buntings and quilts they make are a wonderful gift to those babies, k... [More]

Embroidered Shirt to Honor a Veteran’s Commitment

Each of our veterans is a true hero who has made a commitment to serve in times of war or peace. Our veterans deserve the full measure of our respect. This project was submitted by Sue Ellen Parker. Sue Ellen used her creative talents to show her loved one and others how proud she was of their dedic... [More]

Embroidered Greetings Cards

Our international trend continues this week with a project from Jean Isley in England. Growing up du [More]

Christmas Tree Skirt from Table Runners

To take a simple or plain idea and mold it into something personal and unique is always rewarding. Michelle Gauthier created a special Christmas tree skirt to become a focal point for holiday cheer in her home. Without spending a lot she gave of her time and love to bring special smiles to those aro... [More]

Simple Baby Quilt for Cold Northern Winters

Creating keepsakes for loved ones is such a joy for those who love to sew. With her simple blankets, Sue Kerlin shows us how she continues her love of giving to family even when life is too full for intricate details.Sue's Description:I picked this pattern of baby quilt because I am not a detail... [More]

A Little Treasure - Should I Or Shouldn't I?

Hi, Folks,I'm in a bit of a quandary. When I set up this blog, I made it clear to the team here who help me get this to you that I really wanted the blog to focus on projects contributed by the AnnTheGran community. So far, you've all been great with that, and we've seen some gr... [More]

The Perfect Gift - Embroidered Wine Bottle Bags

Tuck a bottle of their favorite beverage inside a festive wrap - no wrapping paper required. Trisch Rosema's embroidered gifts of wine got rave reviews even though they were quick and easy. What a lovely hostess gift one of these custom wine bags would make! Or you could do as Trisch did and mak... [More]

Race Car Themed Quilt for "Big Boy Bed"

Every child's first birthday is exciting and every mother wants to create great memories of the event. This race car themed quilt was created by Gina Martinez to complete her son's graduation to a "Big Boy Bed" and give him a special birthday memory to cherish for years to come.Gen... [More]

Blown Away By Baby Blankets

This project was submitted by Kim Yunkun. I chose to post this one because it is simple but beautiful and any level of embroiderer can do it. Not everyone is an expert, but everyone can share the sense of pride that we all feel when we've accomplished something. Sometimes, when we've been do... [More]

Share Your Creations with our Community!

Our creations are like our babies! The amount of time and care we expend on a cherished project makes those products of our hands and our hearts feel pretty special.You are currently resting your eyes on my new blog. If you don't know what a blog is, don't worry about it. Neither did I until... [More]

Quick Project - Blackwork Placemats

We wanted to create a design collection that you could use to add some classic style to your project whether you are embroidering evening accessories, elegant linens or an heirloom piece. My Blackwork collection is a versatile set of ornamental designs, professionally digitized for beautiful results... [More]
Holiday Cocktail Coasters

Holiday Cocktail Coasters

Untitled Document
Project Details
Skill Level: Some Experience
Time Required: 3 Hour(s)
Materials
  • Fabric requirements complete a set of 4 coasters, each 5" square. For best laundering and pressing results, White Linen or Cotton Fabric (or a blend of both) and Polyester Embroidery Thread are recommended. Preshrink the fabric for best results. Also, the finishing stitches are sewn with coaster upside down, therefore, polyester bobbin will help to keep a uniform, finished look.
  • (4) 7.5" (19cm) squares White Linen, Cotton, or a blend of both.
  • (4) 5" (12.5cm) squares White Linen, Cotton, or a blend of both.
  • (4) 8” squares Iron-on Fusible Interfacing (iron to wrong side of each 7.5” square)
  • White Polyester Thread (roll 1-2 bobbins to match)
  • Minimum Embroidery Hoop 3" x 3" (7.5cm x 7.5cm)
  • (4) 5" (12.5cm) squares Medium weight Tear-away Stabilizer
  • Embroidery Foot
  • Adjustable Zipper Foot
  • Grid Cutting Mat
  • Point Turner
  • Scissors - fabric and embroidery
  • Steam Iron
  • Chalk Marker (contrasting color to fabric)
  • Masking or Painters Tape
  • 12" (30cm) Ruler
  • **Optional quilt spray adhesive or temporary basting glue (be sure to test on scrap of fabric for marks, etc.)

• Designs used in this project

Final Product: What You Will Create

Preface:
    This wonderful set of linen coasters is sure to add elegance to any table setting, or holiday get-together. Tuck a set into that special holiday hostess gift, in each tin of your holiday baking, or wrapped around a gift of "holiday cheer". Their ease of laundering will allow you to scatter them at all of your holiday soiree's without fear of even red wine. Each of the four coasters has a different embroidery design and the back is beautifully finished with crisp mitered corners. All 4 of the embroidery designs for Bee #11 are one color. Traditional hand sewn filigree embroidery is "tone on tone". This means that the embroidery thread color matches the fabric for a very subtle look. Our sample is shown with pale pink linen and white embroidery for photography and visibility in the instructions.

Embroidery

It is important that the fabric is hooped precisely for a desirable finished set. Be sure to use your grid mat and your plastic template insert on your embroidery hoop as guides in the hooping process. 

Step 1:
    Prepare fabric for embroidery by centering and fusing an 8” Iron-on Fusible Interfacing square to the wrong side of each large (7.5”) square of fabric. There will be 1/4” of exposed fusible at the edges. Note: For visibility of embroidery etc. our sample does not have fusible on the back.

Step 2:
    Place a small piece of tape at approx. center of each (fused) large (7.5") square of fabric. Place ruler on diagonal corners to mark exact center of the square.

Step 3:
    Use a ruler and cutting mat to chalk mark exact center (3.75" from corner) of 4 sides of the square. Mark a 1/4" line at each edge center. These are your hooping guides.

Step 4:
    Align the base/bottom part of your embroidery hoop with the grid on your cutting mat. Place a fabric square on the hoop base and align the side guide marks with the lines on your cutting mat. Hoop the fabric being very careful not to move the fabric at this stage. If the marked guides do not line up with center marks on the hoop, remove the fabric from the hoop and try again!

Tip: If extra stabilizer is required, use a "hooping window" of cut-away. Hoop fabric and window together (window on the bottom). Illustration shows view from back of hoop with hooping window.

(Click Image to Enlarge)

Step 5:
    Attach hoop to machine. Center a piece of medium weight tear-away stabilizer under the hoop. Prepare machine to sew one of the Stitchitize Bee #11 designs. Be sure that the needle is aligned with the center mark on the tape. Remove tape and sew the design.

Step 6:
    Sew the embroidery design to completion. Repeat for remaining 3 large fabric squares. Gently remove all tear-away stabilizer from the reverse side, trim 1/4” excess fusible from edges (fusible and fabric edge are even) and press each square to remove any hoop marks.

Construction

The back side of each coaster is finished with mitered corners. Here's how!

Step 7:
    With embroidered side down, fold each edge of one square 1/2". Press.

Step 8:
    Turn over (right side up) and fold diagonally to make a triangle. Pin at top point center to secure. Place on cutting mat with fold on a horizontal grid line. Position corner fold (45 angle) on an intersection. Measure 1" from corner on fold and mark from edge to edge with chalk. Repeat for opposite corner.

Step 9:
    Prepare machine for regular sewing, attach Zipper foot. Sew along each chalk mark.

Step 10:
    Trim 2 corners to 1/8" from seam.

Step 11:
    Open to a square and fold on opposite diagonal. Repeat marking, sewing, and cutting on each corner.

(Click Image to Enlarge)

Step 12:
    Open all corners inside out. Lay square embroidered side down.

Step 13:
    Place small square on large square, wrong sides together. Line up corners. Small square can be trimmed slightly if needed.

Step 14:
    Turn all 4 mitered corners over, wrapping around small square. Be sure that small square stays put. A small amount of adhesive can be used here to keep the small square in place.

Step 15:
    Use a point turner to form all 4 corners.

Step 16:
    Steam Press all folds.

Step 17:
    With embroidery side down, and bottom of embroidery design on the righthand side, align left side of zipper foot with inside fold, approx 1" from mitered corner. Be sure that your needle is very close (1/8") from the fold.

(Click Image to Enlarge)

Step 18:
    Sew (2mm stitch length) running stitch around the edge of the folds. Use "needle down" to pivot the corners on the mitered seam. When you return to the start position, backstitch 2-3 stitches to secure.

(Click Image to Enlarge)

Step 19:
    Repeat steps 1 - 12 for remaining three embroidered squares.

(Click Image to Enlarge)

Ideas: 
    - Make a little envelope style pouch to store or gift wrap the set. Sew one of the designs on the outside of the envelope.
    - Make matching cocktail or dinner napkins, placemats, etc using this formula. Size of smaller square determines the finished size. Large square is always 2.5" larger than small square.
    - Embellish a table cloth, table runner, centerpiece, etc. with the designs to create a dining ensemble.
    - Increase the size of the square and sandwich a layer of thermal or quilt batting between the fabric squares to make a decorative hot pad for the table.

Designs used in this project