Embroidery for Mom (and FREE lettering!)

Mother's Day is a week away but that is plenty of time to stitch up this quick gift, especially since the design was just $2.50 and I will give you the MOM lettering for FREE! MOM text.zip (24.2KB)

Garden designs are now 75 percent off and I chose this design by Adorable Ideas. My daughter just had a baby boy, so I thought this would be the perfect gift for him to "give" her on her first Mother's Day.

I used the Embrilliance program to add lettering. If you haven't tried Embrilliance, it's is a user friendly, entry-level embroidery editing program. Right now, there is a special bundle: buy Embrilliance, get Thumbnailer!

I started by hooping water-soluble stabilizer (WSS), the kind that is like fabric with a sticky side. I stitched the design on blue hand-dyed felt and used glitter flex vinyl for the heart applique.

Some people like to stitch on surfaces like felt using a water-soluble topper. Much of the time, I prefer the dimension I get by not using a topping.

The design wasn't quite like a traditional applique. Usually, the stitch sequence starts with a placement stitch followed by a tack-down stitch. This design combined them, which meant that a straight stitch outline was followed by a zig zag to secure the applique fabric and provide some underlay to the subsequent stitches. (This is another great reason to get Embrilliance. You can see what the stitch sequence looks like before you start stitching.)

If you are new to the applique process, watch this video.

I stopped the machine after the straight stitched heart, then placed my glitter flex vinyl over the heart outline as you would with a traditional applique, and ran the first stitch sequence again until it got to the point of zig zagging the edges.

I tore and clipped the excess glitter flex vinyl and then re-ran the entire stitch sequence again so that the zig zag stitches would cover the edges.

I sealed the vinyl as recommended by the vendor and continued stitching.

Now, to find the perfect frame!

Debbie SewBlest

Comments (1) -

I love your color combination. Having colors that 'pop' make a difference, and you chose something other than the usual red for the heart.

Best wishes to you and yours, Pat, The Avid Embroiderer