The Avid Embroiderer Presents – Yes, size does matter and a freebie for your Spring Embroidery

I was just looking at some of the responses to the Blogs here at AnnTheGran, and I noticed one person who asked for a different size in the freebie that was offered. She wanted it to be double the size. Perhaps she is not aware of sizing issues that can occur. Let me demonstrate -

Each of those white, circled areas represent a 'hole' in your embroidery. There is no way to fix this because most software is not sophisticated enough to do it unless you are using an EXPENSIVE program. Some of the machines that are higher priced can do this for you, but be prepared to spend up to around $12,000 to $15,000 for a machine that can do it. (Brothers Dream Machine was the one I saw do it, I had better watch for a HUGE sale on that one!!)

Most software and machines recommend not to exceed 20% differential for your pattern. That is why you get multiple sizes for many designs. As time has enriched the embroidery tools, this 20% may have already been superseded.  I am not aware of that but the essential issue is that the computerized information in programs/machines can only change so much. A human digitizing a design can make these adjustments very easily.

Conversely, if you change the decrease of stitching will cause problems as well. Out of necessity, I had to reduce the size of a design that had daises in it. I did a reduction of 40% and when it was sewn, the daisy centers had a nearly sharp point on the back side. Again, software/machines can only do so much for us. As they improve (I think the first programmers had no idea what embroidery was. . . ), I feel like this will be an issue of the past. But until then, we must use common sense.

This is just one of the reasons why you hear us Bloggers constantly use terms like - "discovery sew," "sew out," or "test" your design on the same fabric (or as close as you can come), same design, same threads (you do know that different types of threads, polyester and rayon blog, create differing results, right?).

There are a lot of ins and outs of embroidery which you have probably noticed. It is just like any other hobby or job; anyone can make a pie, right? Well, I cannot make a noteworthy pie like my grandmother did, mine is a pale comparison. Doing exceptional work means reading blogs, learning from others' mistakes and making some of your own. I have been embroidering for 15 years, 8 of which I have been selling my goods. I work at it nearly every day of the year. I still learn something new on nearly every project.

You may have noticed that Peggy's Stitch Eraser is on sale this week. I recommend this product because of the RESULTS. Don't tell AnnTheGran, but I did try a shaver from Walmart. . . Don't go there for that one!  I also recommend that you get the unit that is plug in because you will have even cutting. A battery operated may be convenient but it can slow down when you need it most. Batteries are not as reliable as a straight current.

My tip for you today is likely one that you mean to do but don't get around to. . . I was just trying to loosen one of my hoops from a project and realized that it has been a long time since I last 'siliconed' my screws. I never use oil because it can (and will) leave a coating to stain everything it touches.  After that, I used an old cloth with alcohol on it to clean the hoops. I was so surprised by the amount of black on the hankie when done. The hoops looked "clean enough" but I managed to get them cleaner.  Then I used a cotton swab with alcohol to get into small places and now everything is so much cleaner for my next projects.

As promised, here is your freebie and I just love it, hope you enjoy it too!
april.zip (72.1KB)