Fancy Mug Rugs

n-the-hoop projects are very popular.  There is something satisfying [More]

Easy Zippered Bag: Part 1

You can’t even imagine how easy it is to make a zippered bag like this one. Because there are quite a few steps, and instructions are never quite as good as actually seeing it done, we'll break this project into two pieces to give you plenty of detailed photos.

This tutorial shows how to make the 5x7 bag from the Sew Pretty collection by Pickle Pie Designs. The CD contains a large bag that can be made into a fanny pack, a medium bag that can be turned into a wristlet, and an eyeglass case. Best of all, each alphabet monogram has it's own bag design so you will not need to place and center the monograms. They stitch out with no prep work at the computer.

It really helps to have a program like Embrilliance which lets you click through each color stop and see what area is stitching next.

Start out by hooping a water-soluble mesh stabilizer. The first color stop stitches placement lines for the zipper.

Trust me when I say this will be the easiest zipper you will ever stitch! I used painter's tape to hold the (closed) zipper in place, centering it within the zipper placement stitches. It will be too long and that is fine. Excess will trim away later.

Now, prepare the bottom front piece. On the bottom front fabric, fold over the top edge one-half inch to the inside and press. Slide the bottom front batting inside the fabric fold. Use spray adhesive or lapel stick to hold the batting in place.

Place the lower front fabric and batting right side up with the fold just below the lower edge of the zipper teeth. Stitch the next color to secure the folded edge and batting to the zipper.

After securing the lower front to the zipper, the stipple stitches quilt the piece to the batting. Next, three sets of placement stitches mark where the ribbon will go.

Use adhesive on the back of the ribbon to hold it in place. The next stitches will tack down the ribbon followed by a placement circle to show where the monogram goes.

Cut a piece of fabric larger than the monogram circle, apply adhesive to the back (or tape the edges), and stitch the tack-down for the monogram. Use a fabric with a background that will not compete with your monogram. I chose a piece of the lining fabric that was fairly neutral so the monogram would stand out. Remove the hoop from the machine and trim around the outside edge of the monogram circle close to the stitches. This applique will be finished with satin stitching next.

Place the hoop back on the machine and finish stitching out the monogram. Four stitch sequences are programmed so you can change thread colors if you like. I used black for the underlay and satin stitching and used fuschia for the center line around the satin stitching and the monogram letter.

Check back for part 2!

Debbie SewBlest

Comments (1) -

I cannot see any way to make this easier!!!  What a great idea.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer