Fussy Cutting Applique

Fussy cutting can really make an impact when properly combined with applique.

The whole idea of fussy cutting is to align or cut select areas of fabric so their arrangement is used to the greatest benefit. Showcasing designs within fabric makes a standard quilt block or applique design spectacular.

You may remember this tutorial? 
The fabric used in the Cold Hands, Warm Heart: Using Cutwork as Applique project was fussy cut, meaning I selectively chose to feature the wording, "Let it Snow," in the applique rather than just randomly placing any piece of fabric. It kicks the embroidery up a bit.
In this in-the-hoop (ITH) mug rug, I chose a snowflake fabric for the base. I placed the large snowflake in the corner opposite of the snowman applique.It balanced the layout. By placing it so it ran slightly off the edge compared to the other snowflakes, it gave the impression of motion, just like falling snowflakes.
AnnTheGran.com | Beautiful people make beautiful things

The Thread That Binds Us

I have been blessed with a wonderful mother. She is not only a great role model but also the kindest [More]

Words of Wisdom!

As machine embroiderers we have opportunities to use our machines to create and embellish everything [More]

Jigsaw Puzzle Outlines

A customer suggested that I provide puzzle outlines so that she could add h [More]

Put a Neckline on a Hemline!

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with [More]

EMB 101: Thread

Part of the beauty of embroidery is the gorgeous assortment of threads available. With so ma [More]

Easier Christmas Cookies!

It is almost the "Most Wonderful Time of the Year!" Remember this Christmas cookie tutorial? [More]

Thoughts to Ponder

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you. [More]

EMB 101: Stabilizers

Stabilizers can be quite challenging but they really don’t have to be. Here is an overview to help w [More]