My #1 secret to successful machine embroidery applique

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog:  

I’ll let you in on a little-known secret – I hate to remove the hoop during the embroidery process to trim applique. I dislike it so much, I rarely do it. I’ve come up with two very different solutions to this dilemma.

The first – and easiest – is to embrace raw edge applique. That is what my whole Stipple! line is based on. It’s an edgy approach (no pun intended) but it works for me and I love the speed of the process.

But I know raw edge applique is not appropriate for every design. So I avoid taking the hoop off the machine during traditional appliqué by preparing the applique section in a separate hooping.

Here’s how I do it:

First, fuse interfacing to the applique fabric. Hoop the applique fabric. If I need multiples of the same design, I’ll load as many of the design that will fit in my largest hoop. Advance through the design to the tackdown segment of the design. Stitch the tackdown (the outline).

Remove the fabric from the hoop. Trim the appliqués as close to the outline as possible without snipping the threads. Set aside.

Hoop the project. Stitch the placement guide of the applique design.

Spray a small amount of spray adhesive to the wrong side of the cutout applique. Place the applique over the placement guide. Smooth in place.

Stitch the tackdown. Complete the design.

Thanks for reading!

Reprinted with permission from Eileen's Blog.