Keeping It Simple - In-the-hoop Bookmarks for Easter

Has the first two months been as busy for you as it has for me?  Time has flown and it will soon be Easter.  With a baby due any day we have been busy sewing diapers, wipes, onsies and burp cloths.  And I have had the older girls more often than usual.  This week we were trying to decide what we could make for Easter to give as little gifts.  Our oldest had made bookmarks before when she was learning to sew a straight line.  She thought that would be a good idea.  I did not have any Easter themed fabric in my stash and the younger two haven't really done any sewing yet.  They want to "sew" too but really still just like to push the buttons and watch the embroidery machine go.  So, we made these in-the-hoop bookmarks.  Here are the three styles we are embroidering:

Here is what you need:

Scraps of fabric - Two matching rectangles 3 1/2" wide by 7" tall for each bookmark

Scraps of ribbon to coordinate - two ribbons for each cut around 3" in length

Light or medium weight, cut away stabilizer

Lapel stick or other temporary adhesive

Embroidery thread

Pinking sheers

In-the-hoop Easter bookmarks (download the ones we used here)

Here is what you do:

1.  Hoop the stabilizer in your 5'X7" hoop.  Adhere one fabric strip, face up,  down the middle of the hoop.  (You only need a little adhesive around the edges of the fabric)

2.  Using the same color thread in both the bobbin and needle embroider the first color.  Embroider all the rest of the colors except for the last one.

3.  Remove the hoop and place face down on a flat surface.  Adhere the ribbons so that they stick out at the top (face down if applicable).  Put a little temporary adhesive around the edges of the wrong side of the second fabric strip.  Place, face up, over the stitching and ribbon.

4.  Carefully place the hoop back on the machine and check that the ribbon and back fabric is in place.  Embroider the last thread color.  Remove the hoop from the machine.

5. Remove the design from the hoop.  Pink around the outside of the bookmark border stitching being careful not to cut the ribbons. 

Your quick and easy Easter bookmark is finished.

You could roll these up and put in eggs (instead of candy) for an egg hunt.  Add them to an Easter basket or send them in a card.  And just watch the pile of small scraps go down!

Here are a few other blogs that might inspire an idea or two:

Easter Goodies for infants

Sewing for Sunday bags

Lollipop covers in-the-hoop

Enjoy the season and take care,

DB