What’s with Lower Case Monograms?

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog:

You see it everywhere today – lower case monograms catch your eye and make you wonder if it really is a monogram. I think its popularity stems from texting. Many young people will tell you uppercase letters are a waste of time. What’s the point of engaging two fingers to type a letter when the same letter can be easily produced with one finger?

But upper case sends a message in monograms. When placed with lower case letters, the upper case letter is dominate and depicts the first initial of a surname. When lower case letters are in a string, they spell something, intentional or not. It’s acceptable and actually quite fun to mix upper and lower case. The mix can add balance and interest to a standard monogram.

Let’s take a look at a couple of monograms I created for my 22 year-old son. First I experimented with a traditional 3-letter monogram in caps.

I played with the positioning of the flanked letters.

Then I changed the first and middle initials to lower case.

And again changed the positioning.

After reviewing these options, I wasn’t quite sold so I changed to all lower case.

Mod3

I like that one the least. Probably because his first name is a vowel, like mine, and whenever I see a monogram with a vowel as the first letter, I make up a word. My childhood monogram was EW followed by ER. Ugh, I never liked either one. But maybe that doesn’t bother you.

Anyway, back to my son’s monogram. I settled on a stacked monogram: first initial stacked over the middle initial and standing guard next to the upper case R with a polka dot in the center. He likes it (which, let me tell you, is huge!)

Monogram font is Newsprint found in
Machine Embroidered Monograms for the Home

I hope you enjoy the projects and tips and tidbits found on my blog. I like sharing my love for embroidery with you all and as many of you know I also teach classes on the Craftsy website. So, if you like my blog and nominate me for best embroidery blog by clicking on the Craftsy badge to the right or by clicking here you will be entered to win a FREE class over at Craftsy! Thanks for your vote and good luck in the contest.

Thanks for reading!

Reprinted with permission from Eileen's Blog.