Designs in Machine Embroidery Hoop Comparison

We are excited to have Eileen Roche, Editor of Designs in Machine Embroidery share this content with you, which was originally posted on Eileen’s Machine Embroidery Blog :

Last week, I wrote about fishing, I mean teaching, in Bend, OR and while I was there, I introduced my students to the new Snap-Hoop Monster. Almost all of my students asked the same questions about the magnetic hoops so I thought I’d discuss it here.

What’s the difference between Snap-hoop Monster and Snap-Hoop?Strength! Monster is four times the strength of Snap-Hoop and is easily distinguished by its elegant teal color.

Do I have to purchase a whole new hoop if I already own Snap-Hoop?No! You don’t, you only need the new top in the same size as your original Snap-hoop. The bottoms are interchangeable and since your machine can only hold one hoop, you only need one bottom.

Do I need both? Yes, Monster is great for heavy, textured fabrics while Snap-Hoop handles lighter cottons and knits.

Will the magnets hurt my machine? No. If you were told not to put a magnetic pin cushion on your machine bed back in the late 1990s, you were given proper information. You were also carrying a cellphone that was a tote bag – literally! Think how much technology has changed over the years. Our machines today are highly sophisticated – just like our cell phones. The microchips in the machines are highly insulated and the magnetic field of Snap Hoop or Snap Hoop Monster cannot penetrate the layers. The hoops were tested extensively on all makes and models with no harm to any machine.

Here’s a handy chart to demystify the difference in all of our hoops.

Snap-Hoop Monster

Snap-Hoop

Magna-Hoop

Magna-Hoop Jumbo

Best for: Terrycloth, bulky fleece, quilt sandwiches, faux fur, heavy textiles Quilt blocks, continuous embroidery, light to medium weight knits Small items Towels, ribbons, belts and continuous embroidery
Handles delicate embroidery projects
Holds a quilt sandwich with no additional stabilizer
Hoops small items (coasters, belts, straps, etc)
Use with lightweight fabrics including knits and sheers
Can tug on fabric and not distort fibers
Minute fabric adjustments are easy to make
Stabilizer is required to hold frames in hoop
Eliminates hoop burn
Fits in a standard hoop
Diminishes the size of the sewing field
Is recognized by the machine N/A (fits inside standard hoop) N/A (fits inside standard hoop)
Stitch all the way to the edge of the fabric
Ideal for allover embroidery

Thanks for reading!

Reprinted with permission from Eileen's Blog.

Comments (1) -

WOW!  That matrix is excellent for understanding which hoop will serve your needs the best!

I would never buy a second rate TV, with all the features available, it would be a waste of money.  So it is with hoops, using the right tool for the job is time and money saved.

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer