Stitching Flawless Multiples By Eileen Roche

Join Eileen Roche as she demonstrates her tips and techniques in stitching multiples - Streamline your prep time hoop quickly and achieve stitched perfectly matched sets flawlessly! Multi-needle machine owners – special additional presentation just for you! [More]
Going Green - Recycle a T-shirt

Going Green - Recycle a T-shirt

A couple of weeks ago, when we were out and about, my oldest granddaughter saw some college girls sporting wide, stretchy headbands with their monograms embroidered on them.  Of course, since she thinks that anything the teens do is "way cool" she immediately asked if we could make them.  I, not wanting to add anything else to my to do list, gave a very vague answer about someday.  Well, as you all know things change and our plans along with them.  Due to an illness in the family the girls spent the very next Sunday afternoon with me and I was reminded about the headbands.  So, off to the sewing room we went and here are the first two they made.

Really easy, kept them busy most of the afternoon and didn't cost a thing.

What you need:

An old T-shirt that is pretty stretchy

A small, easy embroidery design that will fit (download one we used below)

Tear away or cut away stabilizer

Lapel stick temporary adhesive

Wash away mesh stabilizer

Embroidery thread

Sewing thread

What you do:

Cut strips from the T-shirt (The ones above were 19" X 4 1/2" we did some 19" X 5 1/2" for designs that were a little taller in size)

With right sides together, using 1/4" seam sew the strip lengthwise so that you have a 19' X 2" tube.

Center the seam and press open.  Then turn the tube right side out and press again.  The seam should be in the center on the backside.

Hoop the tear away stabilizer then center your strip face up and use the Lapel stick to adhere it to the stabilizer leaving the ends hang off the edges of the hoop.  Place a piece of wash away stabilizer on top if you like so the stitches do not sink into the T.  You can adhere the edges of this if you like.

Embroider the design.

Tear or cut away the stabilizer on the backside.  Cut away most of the wash away and spritz the rest with warm water (or throw it in the wash it's a t-shirt after all.).

With right sides together sew the short ends together.  Flip it right side out and you have a headband.  Make more!

Download the little orange and white flower here.

The ones the teens seem to be wearing are wider than these but you can make them any size you need.  These were a great afternoon project for two little girls.  They would also make great stocking stuffers for girls of most any age.  

The Horses came from this collection.

Initials would be good too.  Make your own in Alphabet Xpress.

I have lots of blogs with instructions for making quick projects.  Go here and scroll down for a list of them all.

From our house to yours we wish you a very merry Christmas.

Take care,

DB 

Comments (2) -

What a cute idea.

Thanks

Marge

Love it! Thank you so much for sharing!