The Hot Retail Look of Reverse Applique - You Can Do It Too

completeYou don't need a $100,000 embroidery/laser cutting combo machine to create the reverse applique look that's so hot in retail stores right now. And it's the perfect time of year to put this impressive technique on sweatshirts. You can put this technique on lots of fabrics, but I particularly like the look it has on fleece sweatshirts. It just looks like it belongs there!

Here's how to get started. You'll need a font like you could use for applique, about two inches in height. You can use the complete font including satin stitch border, but in this example I used only the running stitches and omitted the satin stitches for a faster running time and a different look.

Next, stitch out one of the letters and cut inside the stitching line. Place the opening over various patterned fabric to find one that has a pattern in a scale that looks good through the opening. This is called "auditioning" the fabric.

hoopingNow, hoop the fabric behind the sweatshirt, just as you would hoop a stabilizer.

close upStitch the outline of the font. Now you are ready to unhoop and cut.

half cutLeave the sweatshirt fabric in the "openings" of the letters as shown here.

completeCut away excess fabric from the back and your reverse applique creation is complete. Now wasn't that easy?

May embroidery always bring you joy,

Deborah Jones

www.myembroiderymentor.com

Comments (2) -

I tend to make things difficult, but I have to ask this... you first stitch out a letter, cut out the sweatshirt fabric, then audition the background fabric. second you then "RE-Hoop" with audition fabric behind where you originally stitched the letters, and outline stitch the letters... cut out sweatshirt material and ta da done....

If I have that right... how can you be sure you have it lined up right, on the 2nd hooping.... Wouldn't it be easier to just choose the fabric before you start and never move the hoop??  

I really like this idea though, it is a great look!!!

OK - I'm a little slow sometimes but I think the first step is a "sample one" then move to your actual piece.  My thought is - "no stabilizer" and it doesn't stretch, is it thanks to the designed fabric serving as stabilizer.