LaRueSew-Quilting-Design, You Can Do It!

Sometimes we quilters and ME's want to do what we want to do. We buy books with patterns made by somebody whose tastes are similar to ours, but we want to do it our way. How can I arrange my favorite quilt blocks in a new and different way without taking hours with graph paper, a ruler and color... [More]

MONKEYS AND OTHER ANIMALS YOU CAN EXPECT TO SEE ON SAFARI

Do you have your binoculars ready, camera and  hat? Remember, keep your hands inside the jeep. While on this visual African Safari  remember the animals are not in cages, do not pat or feed them and most importantly remember you are a guest in thier environment!   You can expect to ... [More]

Calling All Experts! - Help Us Expand the Magic Bookshelf

Everyone is an expert at something. This is something I have always believed, and continue to believe. Sometimes that expertise extends to a broad subject, like embroidery or cars or lawn bowling, and sometimes it's very specific, like telling "Knock-knock" jokes, or knowing how ... [More]

June From Brother - One other thing...

Not sure where someone got the idea that we are already making an upgrade for the new Quattro....not true!  Trust me, I would know.....I still reeling from what it took to get this one done.  Nite all!

June From Brother - This and That

Well ladies, there certainiy has been lots of discussion about what to pay for a machine.  I have to say once Brother sells the product to the dealer, it is up to the dealer to set a reasonable price. They do that based on many things.  The most important thing for all of you to remember w... [More]

The Thrill of Digitry and the Agony of the Foot

It seems like I’ve been away for a long time, even though it’s only been a couple of weeks since I’ve written. So, so much has happened. First of all, July-August is our family’s big birthday season. We have a couple of stragglers, the twins in October and t... [More]

Gizmos, Squissors, And Feed Dogs

You had all better put on a pot of coffee and grab a couple of danish for this folks!It is going to be a long one this time, I have so much to share with you! First I would like to start with a brief history lesson. Did you know that the first commercially successful sewing machine was bui... [More]

New Dream Machine From Brother

Hello! I am new to blogging, but there is no better time than now to jump online to tell you about the new machine that we at Brother have just introduced! If you haven’t already heard, our new top-of-the-line 'dream machine' was released a few weeks ago and it is truly a machi... [More]

LaRueSews - Quilting - BASIC TOOLS

Before I start to tell you about tools, I want you to know that I have been working on quilt projects that have been stacking up on me for years. The one I have done the most on is a quilt that goes back at least ten years. It is a scrap quilt that was a Guild project. It left me with ten blocks tha... [More]

Crash Course Cathy - WHERE in the WORLD are you?

WHERE in the WORLD are you ME’ers ( Machine Embroiderers(???!!!) FINALLY……….Here’s your opportunity to share WHERE YOU LIVE with AnntheGran’s Community!!!! It will be SO MUCH FUN to see where you ARE!!!! I hope you will SHARE!!!!! Those of you who have ... [More]

Safari in Africa

Hi, my name is Leora Raikin, and my company is African Folklore Embroidery. I am so excited to be a new blogger on the ATG website. I have just returned from four weeks in South Africa,(incredible!). In this blog I will be sharing with you a little about my experieince there, my connection to S... [More]

Time For Kangaroos And Pop-Up Baskets?

Hello Everyone! Now that you have some of the basic things down pat (right?), we can move along to some other things, like the fun stuff with ME and sewing! This selection will include a simple project I think everyone will not only enjoy doing, but giving as a gift as well. Fir... [More]

LaRuesews- Rotary cutter, freezer paper and quilt shops

Well Quilters and ME’s, it’s time again for me to give you a few words of wisdom on the subject of quilting. Thanks to everyone who read and commented on my last blog. That gave me ideas of things to talk to you about this time. Pat asked me in one of her comments to talk more about free... [More]

Embroidered Pillowcases with Fancy Jumbles

Individual characters (letters, numbers and punctuation marks) from my alphabets can be found on my Stock Design Page.  My designs are also available in packs, as described in this blog.  Those can be found here.  For designs and packs available in multiple si... [More]

Fay, Fay, go away!

and take your wind and rain with you! Although we havent had any flooding as some of our Central Florida Embroiderers have suffered, or gale force winds, the constant rain and wind for 5 days has my brain jumbled and I'm ready to tear my hair out. But, as far as I know, all of us embroiderers he... [More]

Test Blog

Test Blog https://www.annthegran.com/cs/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogFiles/larue-sews/Avatar.bmp Well, Quilters and ME’s, it’s time again for me to give you a few words of wisdom on the subject of quilting.  Thanks to everyone who read and c... [More]

The Floor Beneath the Magic Bookshelf - Ground Rules for our Community

Maybe it's because I'm a man, but when something is new, I just want to dive right into it and try it out. Forget the instructions, just let me rip open the package and figure out how to make it work. I guess old habits die hard, as it never occurred to me when we were preparing to lau... [More]

International Love of Cross Stitch and Hints for Perfect Stitching Result!

Why Cross Stitch? With the Olympics going on in China, it seems that some of the members of the Chinese teams share our love of this wonderful craft. Please go to the following webpage to see a fascinating article about how internationally loved, Cross Stitch can be! See Article…  ... [More]

Oh, Brother, are my brown eyes green!

Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely LOVE my Brother machines, especially my Innov-is 4000D. I purchased the 4000D several years ago with the intent that this was to be my last and greatest machine. I have been happily sewing and embroidering with it ever since... [More]

Redwork - A Super-Simple Beginner's Project

Directions start @ paragraph 9 - Just a  hint to save you some time if you want to go to the project directly. (Chatty Cathy is going strong 1-8)   HH  (Hello Hello) Fellow M’Eers,   I hope all is going well for you and that your MEing is going great! I h... [More]

Olympic Rings, Cartoons, Questions and Paris!

8/08/08 is a date that comes up only once in every century and it’s upon us as I write.  This time the date is even more special because it’s the date on which the Summer Olympics begins. I LOVE the Olympics, both Winter and Summer, and I’m so glad they they’ve s... [More]

LaRueSews - Things to Consider Before You Begin Quilting

Right from the beginning, I need to let all of you know that I am not a quilt/quilting expert. This blog developed because I spoke with the folks at AnnTheGran about something else and out came the idea of my writing a blog. I ask you all to take or leave what I have to say about quilting and then f... [More]

Shopping Up A Storm

HH all my fellow ME’ers….I’ve been SHOPPING up a storm!!!!!…. Actually it started right there in Orlando at Ann’s Community Circle the day BEFORE I won the machine last April… and it sort of hasn’t stopped….but I THINK, finally, I am getting reall... [More]

Hello All You Happy Stitchers !

Hopefully some of you already know who I am from popping in and out of the forums and blogs. For those of you that don't, this will introduce us to each other. Many of you have asked me how I first got started, not only with ME, but sewing in general. So, here it is! You can blame my Grandmother... [More]
Reusable Grocery Bags

Reusable Grocery Bags

USING CREATIVITY TO HELP THE ENVIRONMENT

In the next few weeks many cities are enacting a law that will allow grocery stores to charge for plastic bags. Some of you have already been using reusable tote bags; some purchase these bland reusable bags from the store at which they are shopping. However there is no reason these bags need to be boring. In fact they can become real conversation openers and stunning creative inspirations. Our African Folklore Embroidery designs are perfect to stitch onto reusable tote bags.  You do not need a sewing machine, only a needle and cotton to stitch them onto the bag, either with a basic running stitch or chain stitch. 

Whether it is a wildlife life design featuring a giraffe, elephant or lion or a scrumptious looking cupcake design or even a beautiful flower., your tote bag will become something of which you are really proud.  Summer is the perfect time to start your African Folklore Embroidery design and stitch it onto a tote bag.  

There are still a few more weeks to submit and enter your completed African Folklore Embroidery in the African Folklore Embroidery Challenge. The first place winner receives $500 cash. Even if you decided not to enter, I would still love to see a picture of your completed African Folklore Embroidery Design, so email me at info@aflembroidery.com.

Calling all quilters, fiber, embroidery and beading enthusiasts – WIN $500 Cash in the AFRICAN FOLKLORE EMBROIDERY CHALLENGE

Entry forms for the 2011 African Folklore Embroidery Challenge are now online at www.aflembroidery.com THE GRAND PRIZE is  $500 cash, 2nd prize $50 and 3rd prize $25.00. All entrants will receive certificate of participation and be considered for inclusion in a new book. All entries will be on display at the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach, July 29th – 31st and at the American Sewing Guild Conference in Los Angeles, CA Aug 19th-21st 2011. Westin Bonaventure
404 South Figueroa St.
Los Angeles, CA 90071

The deadline for entries is July 15th 2011

All entries will be able to be viewed by the public at the International Quilt Show in Long Beach, July 29th-31 and the American Sewing Guild Conference in Los Angeles, CA Aug 19th- 22nd. I look forward to seeing you there.

Last year’s 1st place winner was Madeline Reyes from the Coachella Valley Quilt guild. EGA members Judy Dymond and Carol Cunnignham -Hutte form the Mountain View EGA Chapter in California  won 2nd and 3rd place in 2010. Entries from the 2010 African Folklore Embroidery Challenge can be viewed at https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=234386778169&ref=ts

For more information, contact: Leora Raikin, info@aflembroidery.com  (818) 999-6094

Special Summer offer

For parents and grandparents looking for fun creative projects to do with the kids over the summer, we have a special offer, when you purchase two or more kits, you will receive a FREE copy of my book, Safari through  African Folklore Embroidery, which explains and illustrates teaching techniques to children, with bright colorful pictues along with ideas for completing your African Folklore Embroidery project.

African Folklore Embroidery has a selection or reusable African inspired tote bags for purchase. Visit our website at www.aflembroidery.com or CLICK HERE at AnnTheGran to view our designs.

To see a selection of our NEW SUMMER DESIGNS email me at info@aflembroidery.com