Junk in my trunk - African Folklore Embroidery Elephants

JUNK IN MY TRUNK and the African Folklore Embroidery Elephants

One of my favorite animals to observe while on safari is the elephants. I love watching the baby elephant walk in between his mom and dad and seeing how protective the moms are toward their babies. The elephant is the largest and heaviest land animal. These beasts can weigh up to 13,000lbs and grow eleven feet in height. Elephants eat grass, leaves and fruit. They have powerful trunks that can smash down trees, branches and other vegetation such as grass, roots, reeds, fruit, bark and flowers in their path.  Since elephants do not have sweat glands, water plays an important role in their lives in helping them cool down; hence they need sources of permanent water and abundant vegetation. Elephants have a total of twenty-four teeth.

Elephants are highly social animals. They live in herds, made up of the matriarch (the oldest animal in the group), her female calves and the youngsters. The herd can comprise between six and thirty animals, after which they split to form new herds, always maintaining contact with each other at watering holes and feeding spots.

At fourteen years of age, males leave the herd and associate with other bulls of the same age or older. Male elephants are much larger than female elephants with longer, heavier tusks. Elephants live for fifty to sixty years of age.

Female elephants are mature enough to mate from twelve years of age. Pregnancy/gestation is twenty-two months and a calf can weigh up to 260lbs. The calf will nurse for approximately three years.There are so many different ways one can stitch the elephant design. Threads colors do not need to be authentic, though you are welcome to use, but if you choose to stitch your elephant pink or blue go for it and remember while chain stitch is the dominant stitch, stitches do not have to be perfect to create a piece of art. 
If you live in California and would like to experience an African Folklore Embroidery . If you live in California and would like to go on a visual safari through African Folklore Embroidery THE MOUNTAINVIEW CHAPTER OF THE EMBROIDERERS’ GUILD OF AMERICA  will be presenting “RETURN TO SOUTH AFRICA”

Featuring, 
Leora Raikin of African Folklore Embroidery, fiber artist, author and teacher,SATURDAY, JUNE 25, 2011, HOWARD JOHNSON’S (formerly ANAHEIM PARK HOTEL),222 West Houston Avenue, Fullerton, California,714-992-1700

MINI SAFARI:  9:00 am to 11:00 am - Coffee, Lecture, Exhibit and Opportunities - $10 ticket

MEDIUM SAFARI:  9:00 am to 1:00 pm – Coffee, Lecture Exhibit, Opportunities and Lunch - $25 ticket

FULL SAFARI:  9:00 am to 2:30 pm - Coffee, Lecture, Exhibit, Opportunities, Teaching for Beginner to Advanced Levels of African Folklore Embroidery, Complete Kit and Lunch - $69 ticket

9:00 am to 9:30 am – Registration and Coffee

9:30 am to 10:00 am - Lecture and Slide Show

10:00 am to 11:00 am – Exhibit, Shopping and Opportunity Drawings

11:00 am to 12:00 noon – Hands on Workshop Session 1

12:00 noon to 1:00 pm - Lunch

1:00 to 2:30 pm - Hands on Workshop Session 2 

Registration and Questions – Please Contact:  Sandie Cormaci-Boles 714-814-6935 or cormaciheirlooms@att.net

I look forward to meeting you and teaching the techniques to complete an African Folklore Embroidery Design. 

You can view the elephant and other African inspired kit designs at www.aflembroidery.com

Click here to view our products