Safety Information, Free Posters for your school and Catalog Xpress Tip #8, Printing Your Designs

We are all trying to be more ‘green' these days, but some things may remain in your home that you are uncertain about.  Green means more environmentally safe, but I use some items that I really cannot do without.   I want to know exactly what is in those products.  It may just change my mind about using them.   

This site, produced by the U.S. Department of Human & Health Services, https://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/ is just what I need for so much information about everything from Automotive Products to Pesticides.   

It does not matter if you have children or pets, we all need to safeguard our health and well being.

With so many schools having financial issues, it is a good thing that there are some places that offer freebies for teachers.  This is not limited to teaching either; you can print these up for your home or office.

This site, https://www.poster-street.com/ gives you some fun and motivating posters.  There are some for just teenagers, businesses and other categories.  You simply print them out.  I was thinking that printing them on photo paper will make them very special.

Here is my next Catalog Xpress tip and it is one of those that I have always appreciated about this software.

I do sell my items online.  However, I occasionally go to craft fairs, fund raisers and the like and that presents issues with showing the available designs. 

1. Keep notes on issues (your input) - Notes
  2. Search by the usual information AND by Notes - Search
  3. Resize designs - Resize
  4. Convert the format  - Conversions
  5. Recolor designs and background colors - Recolor
  6. Categorize designs in multiple subjects (place a design of girl in garden watching a butterfly in multiple categories)  - Categories
  7. Arrange designs in multiple methods (Name, Type, Number of Stitches, Colors, Dimensions) - Arrangements
  8. Print the entire catalog of designs in 3D (as small or large as I like)
  9. Work with Alpha Xpress to create wonderful projects.

Having designs at your finger tips can be outstanding for many reasons.

Let's say that you are going to be attending a fund raising event and you are participating by offering a nice pillow for an animal lover. 

It is difficult to tell others just how beautiful your designs are and you don't have a photograph of all the designs that you want to offer.  You want your idea to look its best and show off what you are capable of doing. 

Let's open Catalog Xpress and select Baby.  There are 162 items in that folder.

Next, select the File Menu, and Print Catalog.

Next, the software will make a suggestion for printing some pages.  In this case, it shows 4 pages with 6 columns and 9 rows. 

My designs will look something like this when printed.

That is probably good for showing a prospective client the available designs.

What if I want a reference just for me?  I can adjust the number of columns and rows to put it all on one page.  What a time saver for me!!!

Even with a lot of designs, you will be surprised at how well you know your designs from just a small thumbnail size picture.

What if I want to take just some designs that meet specific criteria?  All I have to do is select the ones I want.  Remember that holding down your Ctrl key and using your mouse, click on the ones you want.  You can also select a group by holding your Shift key and click on the first design and the last design.  Go to the File Menu, select Print Catalog and you will see that the option to ‘Print selected' box is available.  Click on that box and change the column and row information to suite your needs. 

Customize to your hearts delight.  It is a great way to keep info on designs. 

If you missed my blog on getting Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and One Note for free, you better check it out!  If you are considering selling your embroidery - the holidays are coming fast! - you can now get my spreadsheet without purchasing Excel (about $400 by itself).   

Comments (2) -

Thank you for the valuable information, Household products and Free Posters, I'm going to pass this on to friends and family.

I downloaded the free trials of catalog express and alphabet express and have spent all weekend trying to use them and got nowhere. For some reason I have completely overlooked the fact that you had lessons here for those programs so I will go back to #1 and try to figure it out. They seem much harder than Embird. When I download the free designs from the Brother web site it automatically is bringing up Embird. It is putting the designs directly in there, which I don't even have active and can't use. What is wrong? what should I do? When I unzip the design and try to send it to Catalog Express it goes to Embird instead??? Help! Thank you.