AnnTheGran is Getting a Facelift!

Dear Friend, 2008 is going to be quite a year for me, and I hope it will be for you as well. My big news is that AnnTheGran is getting a complete facelift! No, I don't mean me -- I like myself the way I am (well, most days anyway) -- I mean my site! You see, as we've grown, some of my s... [More]

Personal Holiday Greeting from Ann (AnnTheGran) Cobb

In December, 1996, AnnTheGran's Design Exchange had been online for 2 months, and it was all very, very new. Our small community had shared a hundred or so designs and I sent the Christmas greeting you see on your right, created around my greatest blessings at the time.AnnTheGran, my Internet ni... [More]

Charity Project - Star Bunting with Polar Fleece Blanket

Every child is precious but sometimes the families of certain little ones face unique challenges. The charity FHCS (Faith Hope & Charity Stitches) has a very special way of sharing their love of sewing and embrodiery. The tiny buntings and quilts they make are a wonderful gift to those babies, k... [More]

Embroidered Shirt to Honor a Veteran’s Commitment

Each of our veterans is a true hero who has made a commitment to serve in times of war or peace. Our veterans deserve the full measure of our respect. This project was submitted by Sue Ellen Parker. Sue Ellen used her creative talents to show her loved one and others how proud she was of their dedic... [More]

Embroidered Greetings Cards

Our international trend continues this week with a project from Jean Isley in England. Growing up du [More]

Christmas Tree Skirt from Table Runners

To take a simple or plain idea and mold it into something personal and unique is always rewarding. Michelle Gauthier created a special Christmas tree skirt to become a focal point for holiday cheer in her home. Without spending a lot she gave of her time and love to bring special smiles to those aro... [More]

Simple Baby Quilt for Cold Northern Winters

Creating keepsakes for loved ones is such a joy for those who love to sew. With her simple blankets, Sue Kerlin shows us how she continues her love of giving to family even when life is too full for intricate details.Sue's Description:I picked this pattern of baby quilt because I am not a detail... [More]

A Little Treasure - Should I Or Shouldn't I?

Hi, Folks,I'm in a bit of a quandary. When I set up this blog, I made it clear to the team here who help me get this to you that I really wanted the blog to focus on projects contributed by the AnnTheGran community. So far, you've all been great with that, and we've seen some gr... [More]

The Perfect Gift - Embroidered Wine Bottle Bags

Tuck a bottle of their favorite beverage inside a festive wrap - no wrapping paper required. Trisch Rosema's embroidered gifts of wine got rave reviews even though they were quick and easy. What a lovely hostess gift one of these custom wine bags would make! Or you could do as Trisch did and mak... [More]

Race Car Themed Quilt for "Big Boy Bed"

Every child's first birthday is exciting and every mother wants to create great memories of the event. This race car themed quilt was created by Gina Martinez to complete her son's graduation to a "Big Boy Bed" and give him a special birthday memory to cherish for years to come.Gen... [More]

Blown Away By Baby Blankets

This project was submitted by Kim Yunkun. I chose to post this one because it is simple but beautiful and any level of embroiderer can do it. Not everyone is an expert, but everyone can share the sense of pride that we all feel when we've accomplished something. Sometimes, when we've been do... [More]

Share Your Creations with our Community!

Our creations are like our babies! The amount of time and care we expend on a cherished project makes those products of our hands and our hearts feel pretty special.You are currently resting your eyes on my new blog. If you don't know what a blog is, don't worry about it. Neither did I until... [More]

Quick Project - Blackwork Placemats

We wanted to create a design collection that you could use to add some classic style to your project whether you are embroidering evening accessories, elegant linens or an heirloom piece. My Blackwork collection is a versatile set of ornamental designs, professionally digitized for beautiful results... [More]
Fancy Jumbles Diaper Changing Pad

Fancy Jumbles Diaper Changing Pad

Individual characters (letters, numbers and punctuation marks) from my alphabets can
be found on my Stock Design Page.  My designs are also available in packs, as described in
this blog.  Those can be found here.  For designs and packs available in multiple sizes,
choose the size you want in the drop down menu box.

A few months ago I made a diaper bag for my daughter-in-law.  I included a fold-up diaper changing pad.
My DIL likes fabrics that wouldn't normally go together, so that is what I gave her.  I padded the fabric
with fusible fleece and covered it with vinyl.  The shell for the pad is denim.  Here is a picture of my
one-of-a-kind diaper changing pad.

R diaper pad open

Turning the bag right side out was not easy.  The vinyl covering the lining fabric stuck to itself so
it was a bit like untangling a roll of tape.  I wasn't going to go through that AGAIN.  Nevertheless, when
I saw coordinating purple fabrics that I knew my other daughter-in-law would love, I couldn't help but
buy the fabric.  Here is the second pad.  I made the flap a little longer so that it wraps around more for
closing the pad.

S diaper pad open

This changing pad is used at home as well as for travel.  I decided to make another pad that can remain
at home.  Since I promised more blogs about projects for babies, I added embroidery to this pad.  The fabric
for the inside has stripes in nine colors.  I used the Stripes Vertical set of Fancy Jumbles to arrange "time
for a change" and then matched the threads to the colors in the fabric.  Here are pictures of the pad closed
and partially open.

changing pad closed

dcp 36 light

I really like the way the pad came out.  (I am thinking of keeping it as a sample, so made another pad
that I can actually give away.  Has that ever happened to you?)  I used a lighter color of denim for this
fourth pad, so that some of the steps would be easier to photograph.  I used a variety of Fancy Jumbles fill
patterns this time.  I also finished the flap a different way.  You can see that the corners of the flap
are tapered rather than mitered.  The partially open pad above shows the mitered corners.

changing pad 2 closed

Both constructions are included in the instructions.  You will also find instructions for adding
embroidery to the flap.  Click here to download the instructions.  If there are no babies in your life
right now, you can make a portable pressing pad instead.  Just substitute silicon fabric and heavy cotton
batting for the fleece, cotton and vinyl.  If you come up with other uses for my instructions please share
them with us.

Comments (11) -

ceciliahelen 8/21/2010 9:16:23 AM

cool

To turn anything with vinyl on it sprinkle first with a bit

of baby powder or talc.....makes it nice and slippery.

Also you can put a bit on your machine bed when sewing to help the vinyl feed properly.  Just a wee bit will do.

WOW - they are adorable!  Bet your DILs just LOVE you to pieces!!  Thanks for the instructions & tips!! I can't wait to get started!! ~k

Great idea and excellent tips.

Pat

CeciliaHelen, kcdc989 and Pat,

Thank you for the kind thoughts.  I think my DILs were pleased with the changing pads and other things I have sent.  It's fun to have these new kinds of projects to sew.

Farracres,

The baby powder would have come in handy for turning the diaper bag right side out.  I'll remember that if I ever make another bag.  I didn't have any trouble with seams because I have a Teflon foot.

There wasn't a need to have a vinyl layer toward the feed dogs.  I either had the vinyl facing up (for sewing it to the fabric, or the vinyl layers facing each other (for the seams in the pad).  For sewing into the shell, the vinyl was again facing up.

Carol

How great those are. I made quite a few for my grandbabies also. I made a few for the daddies. Made them more "macho" haha.

Instead of using vinyl, I used the flannel covered rubber. I embroidered whatever design I wanted, backed it with a regular flannel and I either used binding or just pinked the edges. If I thought of it, I would have taken photos.

cover the plastic with a sheet of tissue paper, it will tear completely away at the seam line. Or there is Iron on vinyl, that can be applied after the fabric is turned. Or it can be constructed like a big place mat and completed with bias tape around the edges. I have made changing pads this way for quite some time.

There is also a new product on the market, PLU, it feels nice and is wet proof. It is available on line as well at your local Jo-Ann fabrics.

Waterproof fabric at Jo-Ann Fabrics is called PUL (polyurethane laminated fabric).

cme, sewjanis and keuschel,

Thank you for the suggestions.  I have heard of PUL fabric but haven't used it.  Does it come in any colors or is it a neutral color?

We had some pads made with the flannel covered rubber when our children were small.  They would be good all on their own for a diaper changing surface.

I had no trouble sewing the vinyl covered fabric in the pad.  Bindings look good, too, but I find the wrap around shell a little quicker to finish.

Thank you for sharing your ideas.  It gives all the readers more choices.

Carol

Carol, I can't find your jumble fonts anywhere. Are they still for sale? Thank you