Keeping It Simple Embroidered Magnet Mania

Kids love to display their art on the fridge.  Adults too seem to stick up lists, reminders and notices where they can be easily accessed..  So, many marketers send information to us printed on these soft magnets in hopes that we will put them in this often viewed place in our homes.   They can be great for holding all our stuff but they certainly do not add to the planned décor.   And we receive so many so what to do except recycle them?  OK, I admit it, maybe I am going too far with this recycle thing but this was fun anyway.

Here is what you need:

Some of these soft magnets

Tear Away Stabilizer

Scraps of felt

Embroidery design  (download my fun design below)

Temporary adhesive spray

Sharp craft scissors

Good quality craft glue

Here is all you do:

1. Hoop the Stabilizer.

2.  Center the felt in the hoop and secure with a little adhesive around the edges.

3. Embroider the design.  Remove the stabilizer.

4.  Carefully cut around the design.

5.  Cut the magnet to fit inside the design.

6.  Cover the ad side of the magnet with craft glue and press onto the back of the design.  Let dry.

Click here to download this design

If you want to make an appliqué like this flower do this:

1. Hoop the Stabilizer.

2.  Center the fabric in the hoop and secure with a little adhesive around the edges.  Turn the hoop over and center a piece of felt on the back securing the same way.

3. Embroider the first two appliqué runs of the design.  Carefully cut around the design on both the font and back of the hoop.  Embroider the rest of the design.   (To see my appliqué blog go here.)

4.  Carefully remove the stabilizer from around the design.

5.  Cut the magnet to fit inside the design.

6.  Cover the ad side of the magnet with craft glue and press onto the back of the design.  Let dry.

My appliqué flower is available in this blog.  I simply rotated it here and added the initial.  You can use Ann's Alphabets, Alphabet Xpress or ELS Lettering to add lettering to your magnet designs.

Almost any design can be made into a magnet.  Embroider ones that match your kitchen décor and put those advertising magnets to good use.  If you are testing thread colors the felt is an inexpensive base.  Here is a rooster that my mom tested for colors before putting on some towels.  I just pinked around it and glued the magnet on.

These could make great stocking stuffers and little gifts for students too since they have lots of art and school notes that must go on the fridge.  

Some of the other designs can be found here:

The little bee design

The rooster design

The zebra design

Take care,

DB

Comments (2) -

Recycling can be fun.  I have several of those magnets that I've been saving for years, just waiting for a good idea like this.

You are too clever for words!

Just a little hint - - - it is a little early for SNOW!

Pat