An African Bird Safari

Any one up for a Bird Safari... introducing the SANUFU BIRD,Roosters and chickens... Bring your binoculars....

South Africa has a large and varied bird population. Over 3 000 birds (and small animals) of 400 different species are uniquely presented in more than 100 spacious landscaped walk through aviaries

While many of African Folklore Embroidery bird designs are of a folkloric nature, the largest population of ostriches in the world can be found in a tiny city in South Africa called Oudtshoorn.

The Ostrich is the largest living bird on earth. Few people can say they've ridden an Ostrich? In South Africa, if you dare, you can ride an ostrich in one of the over 400 ostrich farms. The ostrich industry sells and promotes their ostrich meat, ostrich leather, ostrich eggs and general tourism. Ostrich eggs ornately decorated and painted are collectable items and displayed in peoples home as ornaments. The ostrich is the only bird that cannot fly.  When fully grown an ostrich weighs over 240 pounds. The male ostrich is easy to recognize with soft black feathers on its back and white feathers on its wings and tail. Females and young ostriches have brown feathers instead of black to camouflage them. Both males and females have bare necks and thighs. Ostrich are distinguishable by their have long necks, small heads, large eyes, long, powerful legs, and two toes on each foot. One ostrich egg is equivalent to sixteen regular eggs. That's quite an omelet you can make!

In celebration of the world cup soccer-taking place in South Africa, we are offering a FREE kit of your choice with every three African Folklore Embroidery kits you purchase. All kits include needle, magnificent African variegated threads, the design and easy to follow instructions. You do not need a hoop so you can carry the kit around with you and stitch with you whenever you are waiting, or on a road trip. In addition when you purchase three or more African Folklore kits, you will receive a FREE copy of my book, Safari through African Folklore Embroidery.  The book has beautiful pictures and ideas for completing your designs as well as instructions for embellishment and enhancement. Is that a great offer or what?

Remember I LOVE seeing pictures of your completed designs, so please email me a picture and who knows you could be featured in my next book, out in 2011!

PENGUINS & other South African attractions

If you are feeling hot from time spent outside while on safari, and in need of some time at the beach to cool off, Boulders Beach is the perfect place.  It is also one of my favorite places to spend time while in South Africa, swimming and frolicking with penguins. Boulders Beach in Simon's Town is home to over 2500 penguins. Boulders Beach is the only place in the world where one can actually swim amongst the penguins. Boulders is located near Cape Point, about 20 minutes drive from Cape Town. Boulder's Beach is home to a large colony of African Penguins (also known as the Jackass Penguin). These penguins are not bothered or afraid of people, however one should avoid harassing them by getting too close or chasing them. These penguins are very happy to be quietly observed from a close distance.

These African penguins are tame and comfortable with humans. They can be seen playing and sunning themselves in between people sun bathing and swimming on the beach. They are not bothered or scared of people, however one should avoid harassing them by getting too close or chasing them. Beware!! They can bite

Penguins cannot fly, however they are excellent divers and can remain underwater for up to 20 minutes!

While there are many species of penguins, the African, Jackass Penguin is the only one to inhabit the African continent.

African penguins can be recognized by a black stripe curving across the top of the chest.  African penguins are known to be clumsy on land, however in the sea they are extremely skilful and graceful swimmer and can swim up to fifteen miles per hour.

African penguins inhabit twenty-seven sites in Africa. Most are on inshore islands, of which the best known is Robben Island, along the South African coastline. Three of the other main penguin sites in South Africa include the largest existing colony is on St Croix island near Port Elizabeth, with about 50 000 birds. Dassen Island off Yzerfontein, once home to over a million penguins, now has about 30 000, while Dyer Island near Gansbaai has about 20 000.

African penguins feed mainly on small pelagic fish (fish which swim on the upper layers of the open ocean) like pilchards, anchovies, horse mackerel and herrings. Competition with commercial fishing has forced them to adapt their diet. They also eat squid and small crustaceans. . Male penguins are slightly larger than female penguins. Penguins are usually about 4 years old when they begin breeding. African penguins will remain with a single partner for many years, producing one or two eggs a year. The boulders penguin population tends to breed in March to May. The incubation period lasts forty days, and the fledging period from 60 to 130 days.

The penguin's nest in crude shallow burrows dug out of the sand or under beach vegetation. The main reason for digging burrows is to protect the eggs and chicks from the heat of the sun. Penguins prefer to return to the same nesting site each year.

Other birds that are plentiful in South Africa are the rooster, hen and chickens.  In rural areas you will see rooster wondering around the road and outside people's houses. One of my favorite South African based books I called " my best friend is a chicken. This booked written by the famous American author, Maya Angelow describes with beautiful and colorful pictures the friendship and daily routine of a little Ndebele girl and her best friend, a chicken.

If you are interested in more information on South Africa, you can purchase my book, Safari through African Folklore Embroidery.