Going Green - Reusable Mop Pads

I am sorry to say that I haven't had time to embroider this week, but I do have a Going Green project to share.

Does anyone else have one of those Swiffer® Wetjets?  I got one when they first came out because I hated my old mop and never felt like it was clean when I began to mop.  We had not yet begun to "go green" and I thought this would be more sanitary.  After going green we started making our own cleaner (see below) so we no longer purchased the cleaning solution.  But I still cringed every time we threw out those disposable pads - and they cost a lot too!

We now have a solution but we really can't take the credit.  One day, our daughter saw these washable pads that someone had purchased made from microfiber cloth.  Her husband said they had these towels at the local dollar store and suggested she should make her own.  So, off we went to the closest location and here is the result:

These are so easy to make.

What you need:

Microfiber cloth rectangle approximately 15"x11" (the Dollar Store by me has them for a $1.00)

Two strips of Velcro (only the soft side - at our local fabric store I can buy just this side alone)

Sewing thread

Here is what you do:

Step 1:  Fold the long side in about 1/4" and stitch.  Repeat on the opposite side.

Step 2:  Beginning on the short side fold the cloth to make a 5" x 10 1/2" rectangle.  Sew down the open long side to secure the fold.  Sew both ends closed near the edge creating a pad.

Step 3:    Position the soft Velcro along the edge and sew in place all the way around the outer edge.  Repeat for the other strip.  Use a disposable pad to check to be sure it fits your Swiffer® Wetjet (since I don't know if there is more than one model) and make 5 or 6 more.

You will be amazed at how clean these get the floor.  When you are done just pull off and throw in the wash.   We like the softer orange ones best as they glide so smoothly over the floors but since they are thicker you have to sew slowly and adjust your presser foot pressure.  Or you could try using the serger.  I didn't have any more orange to use in the tutorial pictures so you see the thinner blue ones.  They work Ok too and came two to a pack so they are slightly less expensive.  These came in lime green, yellow, blue, red and household gray as well.  We found the thin ones in the auto care isle and the softer orange ones over by the sponges.  Be sure to use microfiber as it is super absorbent and doesn't scratch.

Note:  Do not use fabric softener or bleach and the first time you might want to wash them by themselves to be sure they don't shed on your other laundry even though the package says they are lint free.

I know cleaning house in not on the top of our list of fun things to do but the pads were a really quick project.  They cost less than $1.25 each and we will no longer spend money on disposable pads or add them to the trash that goes out.

Going Green doesn't have to be hard.  Here are a few other going green or quick projects you might enjoy.

Designer Grocery Bags

Reusable Snack Bags

Quick Casserole Carrier

Time just gets away from me sometimes.  Maybe next week I will have time to do some embroidery.

Take care,

DB

PS.  Here is our recipe for a household cleaner that works great on the kitchen and bathroom floors as well as other things:

2 1/2 cups water

2 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar

10 - 20 drops scented essential oil (Andrea likes peppermint, but  I prefer lemon or lavender)

Mix all in a big squirt bottle and just squirt in front of your mop as you go along for a clean floor the green way. No rinsing required.

Comments (6) -

thecomputerist 4/16/2010 9:05:28 PM

Thanks for the household cleaner recipe.  I don't like the store stuff because they are so harsh.

I checked that reusable snack bag too.  You are really clever.

Pat

I have used the orange microfibre cloths for my steam mop.  Instead of the velcro, make a casing and run a hoodie string through it and tie on the mop head.  Word of warning, both my grands and I are violently allergic to Tea Tree oil, and my son developed breathing problems when they started to use a liquid soap with Tea tree oil in it.  

Contact causes swelling/blisters that are very very painful.  No amount of dilution seems to prevent the reaction.  My allergist said its quite common.

A few years ago I bought the old fashioned spring-wire mop and the string head that goes with it.  Decided to use old towels instead because I could throw them in the washer after each use.  I use a scented bleach, works pretty good.

Please, please, please DON'T use tea tree oil if you have cats.  It is highly toxic to them.

Since the tree oil is not necessary to the cleaning agent and there are so many reasons not to use it I hae deleted that optional ingredient from the blog.

Thanks for the comments.

DB

lshuffield 3/5/2011 9:08:18 AM

Thanks for sharing this! I just recently bought a mop that's similar to swiffer... this is PERFECT timing! So excited about making these!