Keeping It Simple - Child's Hot Water Bottle Cover

Last year, my age-old hot water bottle gave out with a fatal leak. All my life I have used a hot water bottle.  They are great for warming the bed, thawing icy toes and comforting those aches that just won't go away.   They are especially nice for kids since they have no cords or temperature controls

So, off I went to the store to replace what I thought was a very common household item.  But not one of the drug stores, pharmacies or grocery stores in my area had such a thing.  Many young associates met my request with confused looks - they didn't even know what a hot water bottle was.  Others directed me to the heating pads saying these were much better.  That, of course, is a matter of opinion.  Upon overhearing me one kind customer said she saw one in Wal-Mart a couple of weeks before.  Well, there it was, tucked back in a corner of the aspirin shelf.  These were not as large as my old one but afraid I might never find another I bought two.

It makes my granddaughters feel special when we warm the bed and they love to have a warm bottle when they are feeling a little under the weather.  So when I saw the faces in the special email earlier this week I had to use this one.

The cover is simple to make.  Here is what you do.

What you need

- hot water bottle

- paper for pattern and a pen

- hand towel that you no longer use

- matching sewing thread

- embroidery face design (click here to see the Pillow Kids Face collection)

- embroidery thread

-medium weight tear-away stabilizer

-wash away stabilizer

-temporary adhesive spray

What you do:

1.   Make your pattern first. Draw a line around your hot water bottle ...then mark another line about 3/4" outside the original line. This will be your cutting line. Cut the pattern out.

Note:  If you look at the pictures you will see that I did not do mine in the correct order.  Anna was over the other night and wanted to "sew" (meaning push the buttons) so we embroidered the towel first.  It still worked out just fine.

2.  Lay the towel flat. On one half of the towel align the top edge of the pattern with the side edge of your towel so you will not have to finish the top edge.  Pin and cut.  Repeat on the other half of the towel for the second piece.

3.  Hoop the tear away stabilizer.  Center one piece and use temporary adhesive along the edges to hold the terry in place.

4.  Cut a piece of wash away stabilizer that will cover the hooped area.  Use a little temporary adhesive along the edges to hold it in place on top of the terry.

5.  Embroider the design.  Carefully remove the stabilizer on both sides.

6.  With right sides together, using a zig zag stitch, sew around the cover.  Leave the top edge open.  Carefully turn right side out.  Launder if desired.

7.  Fold the empty water bottle in half lengthwise and insert into the opening.  Slowly work it into position.  Fill and use.

I was going to make this out of an old turtleneck sweater but I just gave all my old ones away a couple of weeks ago.  If I find an old one and make it, I'll be sure to post it in the gallery.

Here is another project that uses an out-grown or old t-shirt to make a fun pillow.  This comes from Starbird. 

Click here to download the pdf instructions for the t-shirt pillow.

Take care,

DB

P.S.  I do have a heating pad and I do use it - for under the bread dough that needs to rise.  But that is a story for another day.

Comments (5) -

I also use the heating pad for rising dough! Works wonderful on these cold winter days. Love the hot water bottle cover. Cute.  

twinkiedeb60 2/20/2010 9:34:49 AM

I will be 50 this year and was not familiar with the hot water until I visited my daughter in Chile, a year ago. SInce I was sure I'd never find one here I brought 2 to bring home.

Thanks for the great cover idea. Love you website!

Wow, great idea.  My daughter has severe disabilities and her feet are cold all the time.  We use a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket almost every day (well, at least during the winter).  I think I'm going to make one of these today.

Michelle

Very Cute design collection, and a great idea! We have a sick 4 year old today and something like this would be fun.

We gave up on our hot water bottle some years ago, switching to a sewn bag filled with rice. 2 minutes in the microwave and it does the same thing, but without the leaks. Ours is now 14 years old - oh my! I feel horrified just writing that!

Cheers

-B

craftdesigns 2/27/2010 10:59:26 AM

Hi!

Today I posted an entry on my blog with a link to this tutorial.

I'd appreciate your letting me know if that's OK.

Thanks,

Nancy Ward

http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com">paperfriendly.blogspot.com