Keeping It Simple - Embroidered Lace Snowflake Ornaments

Each time she visits my granddaughter asks if we can get the manger set out early this year.  It is very old and worn but she loves to play with it, taking the figures on the trip to Bethlehem.  We make a tradition of getting the house ready for the Christmas holidays the weekend after Thanksgiving.  So she must wait until then.  Another thing she requested this year was to have embroidered snowflakes for her tree like we have on ours.  Now I have had mine for a long time and they were all hand crocheted, then starched to make stiff.  Since my crochet skills are pretty basic and she loves to watch the embroidery machine go we decided to make hers the easy way.  Not being a traditionalist (at least not yet) she wanted her snowflakes to be blue.  We finally decided on blue and white with a shimmer finish.  We have finished a dozen or so and have a few more to go to have enough for her tree but we are having a good time making them.  I think we will make a few extras to use as bag tag decorations.

snowflake  snowflake

We'll be glad to share our snowflakes with you.  Click here to download them.  Please feel free to make yours all white if you like.

Basic instructions for the layered snowflake follow.

You will need:

• Snowflake designs.
  • Two layers of wash away mesh stabilizer.
  • Embroidery thread in colors of your choice.
  • Bobbin thread (we just used white).
  • Two adhesive pop dots (like they use in scrapbooking).
  • Glitter or shimmer spray if desired.
  • Piece of embroidery floss or string.

To make the snowflakes:

1. Hoop two layers of wash away mesh stabilizer (you could probably use soluble but I like the mesh.) Load the design and embroider the first color directly on the stabilizer.
  2. Embroider the second color.  If you want it all white just use white for both colors.
  3. Cut around the design fairly closely leaving about 1/8th to 1/4th outside the snowflake.
  4. Using your fingers and warm water dissolve the stabilizer.  (You want as much as possible to stay in the threads of the snowflake to keep it stiff so do not rinse it under running water or soak it.)  Let Dry.
  5. Repeat with the second snowflake size.
  6. Lay the large snowflake face up.  Stack the pop dots on top of each other and place on the front center of the large snowflake.  Place the center of the backside of the smaller snowflake on top of the pop dots.

Add glimmer or glitter if desired and string a piece of embroidery floss to create a hanger.

Making ornaments can be lot of fun. These snowflakes were made using Designer's Gallery Christmas Traditions software.  Who doesn't love an ornament tag on their gift.  These little creative pieces of art can use up scraps, thread, glitter, buttons and whatever else you have on hand.  They become something useful as well as well as give that handmade touch. They can be used as tree and wreath decorations, on scrapbook pages, cards, gifts and anything else your imagination can come up with.  Get creative and let me see what you do with these little snowflakes or other ornament and tag projects you do.  Snowflake Tag ... you're it!

Take care,

DB

PS:  I love snowflakes and here are a couple of my favorite snowflake design packs:  Musical Snowflakes and Snazzy Snowflakes.  Both are perfect for adding hot fix crystals and the possibilities are endless.

Comments (16) -

I'm not understanding "pop dots"  You need to do one of each size and put them tgether somehow?

Sorry for being dense this morning!

grandmashar 11/7/2009 8:00:58 AM

great design

thecomputerist 11/7/2009 1:13:33 PM

These are beautiful!  Thank you so much.  

You always have the most interesting projects.

Pat

I meant to add that they are really pretty!  I can't wait t try them!  I'm just trying to figure out the assembly portion...

bebe1@fuse.net 11/8/2009 6:28:08 AM

Edith T, I think the idea is the pop dots will add space between the 2 layers, giving depth and dimension to the snowflake.

bebe1 - thanks, I sort of got that, but what ARE pop dots?

what is this you are doing? these are very annoying.

Pop dots are small adhesive circles made of foam.  They come in various thicknesses.  I only keep 1/8" on hand so I stacked two together and put between the centers of the two snowflakes to create the dimension that I desired.  Some craft or scrapbooking stores will call the 3D-Dots.  I will add a picture at the end of the blog later this morning.

The musical snowflakes are not free standing but I have used them to make potpourri pillows on organza and on a tree skirt and matching mantel scarf.

DB

These are great! I can't wait to try them out. I love snowflakes because they can be used all winter long, not just for the holidays. Thank you for the free designs.

Very beautiful, thank you for the designs.

DB - THANKS soo much!  I finally understand!  I tell people I catch on after a while, might be a loong while, but eventually, I do catch on!

it will take me a while to catch on but i will keep trying

These are just BEAUTIFUL Thanks for being so kind to share them   Jude

chrispennifold 11/23/2009 4:12:57 AM

These are absolutely stunning.  I can't wait to make them.  We have a lot of scrapbooking goodies in our local Spotlight store here in Newcastle, Australia.  Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful talents.  I love the fact that DB's grand-daughter can sit and make them with her.  What a wonderful memory for that child.  I still recall sitting with my grandmother as a little girl and watching her make things.  It gave me my love of sewing - she was my guide and mentor in more ways than one.

God bless you all Chris

lindaharrisf 1/19/2015 12:45:45 PM

How dose a person download this pattern

lindaharrisf - Just below the first photos of the beautiful snowflakes, there is a light blue word "Click here" and you get the download automatically.

Best wishes to you and yours, Pat, The Avid Embroiderer