Public Domain-Freeware and Uninstall Programs

The following tips can be used for both Windows XP and Vista.

When you think about the amount of money you are spending on your PC and related items, it might make you feel like you have spent more than the benefits warrant.  With a PC, buying the initial equipment is just the start.  If there were a way to save money, most of us want to do so when and where possible.

Let's begin with your favorite Search Engine.  I use Google, but I also use others because what I get from one is not necessarily what I get from another.  The Search Engines have different methods of finding information in the great abyss of the Net.  Try different ones if you are not getting the results you want. 

You can actually search for the words "Search Engine" and get some that you have never heard of!! 

OK, now let's talk about saving money. 

You need to remember to use just a couple of words.  First, let's say that you are seeking some photos, literature, music, or any artistic work for a project you are working on.  Rather than just saying "soothing music," this time try "public domain soothing music."  The second request will give you links to music for which there is no ‘strings' attached. 

Public domain definition: The public domain is generally defined as consisting of works that are either ineligible for copyright protection or with expired copyrights. Public domain refers to the total absence of copyright protection for work.  The public domain is a range of abstract materials commonly referred to as intellectual property which are not owned or controlled by anyone. The term indicates that these materials are therefore "public property", and available for anyone to use for any purpose.

I think the definition is clear, but I do want to add that you can use these for commercial purposes as well.  That is to say, I could take some wonderful photos, add music and perhaps add some terrific poetry and sell it myself. . . . The possibilities are endless.  Do you put together a newsletter for your church or other organization?  You now have a nearly endless supply of ideas, information and interesting items to share with your group.

Now, let's save some more money.  We are going to do the same thing, at any Search Engine and now we will be seeking software programs.  Raise your hand if you have paid too much for software in the past.  (I raised both hands).  Don't get me wrong, I believe people should be paid for their work.  I, myself subscribe to producing and selling things that I believe are useful to others.  But some of the programs are so expensive that I often have to pass them up and use something less effective.  It is sort of like using a screw driver to pound a nail, it works, but not as well as a hammer. 

Here is the ‘magic' word:  freeware (open source is another pair of words you can use).  The definition of freeware:  Like shareware, freeware is software you can download, pass around, and distribute without any initial payment. However, the great part about freeware is that you never have to pay for it. No 30 day limit, no demo versions, no disabled features -- it's totally free. Things like minor program updates and small games are commonly distributed as freeware. Though freeware does not cost anything, it is still copyrighted, so other people can't market the software as their own.

Let me add something to the definition, it is also something that someone is proud to have produced and delighted to know people like it.  There is often a place to make a donation; and, when I really like the program, I do give a little to thank them for their efforts. 

Be aware that some donation links have a predetermined price.  I found one that I wanted to give $15 (all I could pay at the moment) but the donation was $20.00. 

The Open Source definition:  When a software program is open source, it means the program's source code is freely available to the public. Unlike commercial software, open source programs can be modified and distributed by anyone and are often developed as a community rather than by a single organization. For this reason, the phrase "open source community" is commonly used to describe the developer of open source software development projects.

Since the source code of an open source program can be modified by anyone, it makes sense that the software is also free to download and use. The terms of use are often defined by the GNU General Public License, which serves as the software license agreement (SLA) for many open source programs. Open source software development projects are often funded by donors with an interest in the project, by user donations, or through advertisements. Some developers also generate revenue by selling documentation and help manuals for the software. Other projects are funded by no more than a collective desire of developers to create a great program.

Onward to getting some of this great software.  Let's say you need an inventory software program for your home items for insurance or value purposes.  (If you are considering starting a business, you need to know how much your assets are worth!) 

You will, in this case, probably find this site:  https://www.fileguru.com  That site is loaded with great software - gosh, I need to get that English to Hindi Dictionary. 

Occasionally one program will get slipped in that is a 30 day free trial, but those should be few and far between. 

Uninstalling Programs

After we have all those wonderful free programs, now let's talk about uninstalling them. 

Since programs are sometimes not useful for our needs, we have to do an uninstall to get them out of our pc.  The uninstall, however, leaves behind items that clutter up our equipment.  Even the uninstall that is available from the source does not remove everything.  That never made sense to me, don't they know what their program does?

Well, there is a freeware (love that word) that removes everything.  It does so much more. 

I got this tip from a very reliable source.  When I saw this, I was stunned by everything that it does. 

CNET gave it an excellent recommendation AND, it is available in 42 languages.

CNET Download.com Editor's Rating

I could not even find a place that they take donations!

It speaks for itself.  I have no further input to add to what they have already said.  Check it out.

https://www.revouninstaller.com

Here is the list of the tools and utilities included in Revo Uninstaller:
Auto Start Manager - Stop programs that start automatically on Windows startup; speed up loading of Windows!
Windows Tools Manager - Handy and useful tools bundled with every version of Windows; easily find useful system tools and options!
Junk Files Cleaner - Find and remove unnecessary files from your computer; free up disk space and delete files you do not need!
Browsers History Cleaner - Erase web browser history, visited pages history and temporary internet files of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape and Opera web browsers; free up a lot of disk space by deleting temporary internet files like temporary saved videos, temporary flash files, temporary pictures etc!
Office History Cleaner - Remove the history of most recently used files in MS Office; remove your tracks by deleting the list of last opened MS Office documents!
Windows History Cleaner - Remove the history of recently opened files, delete temporary files, remove usage tracks and other history items that are saved by Windows; remove your tracks saved by Windows for a lot of operations!
Unrecoverable Delete Tool - Erase files and folders forever; be sure that nobody could recover your files and folders after deleting!
Evidence Remover - Make sure already deleted files, folders and other data are unrecoverable; securely erase your data!

Every effort has been made to be sure this information is free of virus and spyware.  Systems may vary, always trust the advise of your provider and technical support.

Comments (4) -

janeblackwood 10/17/2009 7:53:24 AM

Very helpful...I am looking for a free program to resize embroidery designs since my machine (PE-150) only does 4" x  4" designs.  Any suggestions?

Thankyou

thecomputerist 10/17/2009 1:49:33 PM

Jane - There are a couple of problems with your request.  First, the 'majority' of sizes come in 4" x 4", 5" x 7" or 6" x 10" or some variation of those.

The short answer to your question is no.

In order to resize a 5" x 7" you have a LONG way to go.  It would exceed the 20% recommend because doing more can and will distort your design and making it unusable.  

I had a PE180D (just like yours but with Disney Designs.  I out grew it very quickly because, I really wanted more!

Another possibility you might consider is checking with your dealers in your area for a used machine.  With a trade in, you may be able to find something you really want.  I know that my kids got together and pooled their money for my birthday and Christmas.  I was able to take that money, trade my PE180D, and have a better machine.

1lt2dt - Love your name, it is really encrypted!  You are so welcome.

I am working on a lot of new things, and my next blog will have a volume control for your mouse!!!

Best wishes to you and yours, Pat

Hi Great information  ..

love it Cheers Margaret