Embroidered Shirt to Honor a Veteran’s Commitment

Each of our veterans is a true hero who has made a commitment to serve in times of war or peace. Our veterans deserve the full measure of our respect. This project was submitted by Sue Ellen Parker. Sue Ellen used her creative talents to show her loved one and others how proud she was of their dedic... [More]

Embroidered Greetings Cards

Our international trend continues this week with a project from Jean Isley in England. Growing up du [More]

Christmas Tree Skirt from Table Runners

To take a simple or plain idea and mold it into something personal and unique is always rewarding. Michelle Gauthier created a special Christmas tree skirt to become a focal point for holiday cheer in her home. Without spending a lot she gave of her time and love to bring special smiles to those aro... [More]

Simple Baby Quilt for Cold Northern Winters

Creating keepsakes for loved ones is such a joy for those who love to sew. With her simple blankets, Sue Kerlin shows us how she continues her love of giving to family even when life is too full for intricate details.Sue's Description:I picked this pattern of baby quilt because I am not a detail... [More]

A Little Treasure - Should I Or Shouldn't I?

Hi, Folks,I'm in a bit of a quandary. When I set up this blog, I made it clear to the team here who help me get this to you that I really wanted the blog to focus on projects contributed by the AnnTheGran community. So far, you've all been great with that, and we've seen some gr... [More]

The Perfect Gift - Embroidered Wine Bottle Bags

Tuck a bottle of their favorite beverage inside a festive wrap - no wrapping paper required. Trisch Rosema's embroidered gifts of wine got rave reviews even though they were quick and easy. What a lovely hostess gift one of these custom wine bags would make! Or you could do as Trisch did and mak... [More]

Race Car Themed Quilt for "Big Boy Bed"

Every child's first birthday is exciting and every mother wants to create great memories of the event. This race car themed quilt was created by Gina Martinez to complete her son's graduation to a "Big Boy Bed" and give him a special birthday memory to cherish for years to come.Gen... [More]

Blown Away By Baby Blankets

This project was submitted by Kim Yunkun. I chose to post this one because it is simple but beautiful and any level of embroiderer can do it. Not everyone is an expert, but everyone can share the sense of pride that we all feel when we've accomplished something. Sometimes, when we've been do... [More]

Share Your Creations with our Community!

Our creations are like our babies! The amount of time and care we expend on a cherished project makes those products of our hands and our hearts feel pretty special.You are currently resting your eyes on my new blog. If you don't know what a blog is, don't worry about it. Neither did I until... [More]

Quick Project - Blackwork Placemats

We wanted to create a design collection that you could use to add some classic style to your project whether you are embroidering evening accessories, elegant linens or an heirloom piece. My Blackwork collection is a versatile set of ornamental designs, professionally digitized for beautiful results... [More]
Sometimes the Third Time is the Charm...

Sometimes the Third Time is the Charm...

Challenges & Lessons: So, I looked at the Laughing Cow box for a week. I picked it up. I measured it. I didn't want to do something with the box just for the sake of doing something with it. Now, this box is fairly flimsy. And shallow. Then I looked around for something that would fit in the box, something I would actually want to put in a box. This was not an easy project I had challenged myself to. Here's the finished product, an embroidered box in which to keep the little pins that I've picked up at embroidery events.

I used Alphabet XPress to create the text and add the picture. The purse is from Dakota's Paint the Town Red.

Some things I learned along the way:
1. If you go ahead and start stitching with the cover on the bobbin case loose you will hear a loud noise and a grinding sound. You will have to slide a pair of scissors under the hoop to cut the bobbin off the bottom.

2. If you don't push the embroidery arm on firmly and securely the feed dogs will remain up and catch on the bobbin thread.  You will have to slide a pair of scissors under the hoop to cut through the bird's nest and release the bobbin.

3. Remember to adjust the stitch count when you resize designs, especially if you're making them smaller. Should have used Catalog XPress to re-size. What was I thinking??

4. Don't try to "eyeball" centering a design on a round thing, but if the design is seriously off center, you'll probably find something really cute in your button box to balance the design.

4. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. And again. Sometimes the 3rd time is the charm . . .

5. Fabri-Tac removes fingernail polish.

I guess you have a good idea by now of how my afternoon was spent! I'm blaming the whole thing on being in a hurry but, in truth, I just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and I paid the price. No matter how long I've been doing this, or how many projects I've completed, I have to remember to get all my ducks in a row before beginning.

Still, I did end up with a pretty handy little box that's fulfilling a real need so it was all worth it!

Check Back for Answers: I wanted to remind people that if they post a question or concern in response to a blog they should check back to see itf there's an answer. That gal with the new Happy machine got lots of responses, and there were some great tips on thread breakage, both in the post and in our Today's Top Tips forum.

Pictures!! It's been a week since I requested that you send me your pictures from our Community Circle. So far zero, zilch, my email box is empty. I reached all the way to the back and looked in all the corners. Nothing. Sad I can't scrap 'em if I don't have 'em. It was a great event and I had a great time. I really do want a little memory book so I can, well, remember it. I notice that there is one picture up in our Community Circle picture gallery (thanks, Sue), but it's getting lonely, so I'm going to post an embarrassing one of Beamish Boy to keep it companyDevil. BTW, the tote bags are looking wonderful! Take a look, if you haven't already.

BB Blog: Speaking of Beamish Boy, you owe it to yourself to look at his latest post on his Magic Bookshelf blog. His blog is an absolute joy for those of us who are still getting used to this blogging thing and all its accompanying terminology.

Reality bites! Those of you who attended the Thursday night dinner at Community Circle may recall the last question Eileen asked me in that thoroughly embarrassing interview, "What is something we don't know about you?" and my response, "I watch a lot of reality TV." So, to that end, here is my quick dish on American Idol and Survivor:

AI- I like Brooke, I really do, but honestly she and Jason Castro should have been in the bottom two this week and Jason should have gone home. JMHO

S - Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, what was I thinking. I can't believe that 3 fools have been finessed out of their hidden immunity idols. What next?

Here's hoping your own reality is just as interesting as what passes for reality on tv!

Ann

Comments (8) -

I was so engrossed with the classes I forgot to take any pictures :-(  What I learned has been etched in my memory and I have been busily turning my learning into projects - my daughter loves her new lacy tees.  I have organized my designs in catalog express and not only can I now find them I found designs I forgot I had during the organizing process!  What a great tool!  I am now getting ready to tackle Alphabet Express.  The Community Circle was a terrific time and I can't wait til next year!

Marsha

jalcumbrack 4/26/2008 12:54:06 PM

Gee Ann, I don't feel so bad now about the loss of my flash card into the machine ! We are all human and we all get into a hurry sometimes and it most always ends up this way.

You are right,no matter how many years I have been doing this ,it manages to get me once in a while as well.

My Thanks to Eileen for showing me a better way to do towels !! I did a set this week for my bathroom and they are AWESOME! I even laundered them to see how they would come out . They are still AWESOME! I will post a pic as soon as I can get hubby off his computer and out of photoshop long enough to take one. He is the photographer ,I always cut things off. Again Thanks ,it just goes to show you can teach an old dog a new trick or two

That is why I don't have any photos to offer.I left the camera at home and I am terrible at taking them..

Hi Ann..

i have been on your site a number of times but have never commented ...i love your site!! I am new at machine embrodery...but have been sewing for awhile..but when i had a heart attack ( at 40)..my husband encourged more sewing less strress..and got me one of the brother machines i really love it  ,,i  enjoy your site  so thank you for taking time to let us all enjoy each others projcets...going to post some of my projects in your gallery..everyones stuff is great,,,good day..jennifer

When I go to your free designs It says Pe-Designs TM Palette Tm version 4 is included. What does it means?

For guera: PE-Design/Palette version 4 has some sizes and features that are not compatible with versions 1-3. The statement is just a warning that if you have one of those earlier versions some of the designs in the zip file might not work with your software.

For jenpoo1966: Can't wait to see your projects. We all need a bit of inspiration from time to time. Sewing is my stress buster, also.

For Marsha: I'm so glad you're finding Catalog XPress helpful! I don't think I'd ever get anything embroidered without it!

Hi Ann:

I love your Laughing Cow box - how neat!

I have a question, and I'm sure you will answer - I've asked this same question to "Designs in Machine Embroidery"  not once but twice, but they  never answer.  Here's my question:  What's the difference between  the Magna Hoop and the Hoop-it-all?

You will know the answer to that as you use the Brother machine.

I'm fairly new to machine embroidery, but fairly old otherwise - in my 90th year and still sewing - the love of my life.

I'm hoping to  to start on one of the Infinity Quilts by Janome - though I have the Brother, and if I ever get it finished, I'll send you a ;picture - right now I can't start as the plumbers are in the building changing pipes (I live in a condo) - and this has been going on for several weeks, and my place is turned upside down!

One day I'll get started, when I have a safe place to open up my machine.

Till then, I'll keep reading your interesting news.

Thanks for listening to me.

Rosemary

Hi, Rosemariie! First, as you read my answer to your question, please keep in mind that my Hoop-It_All is 6 or 7 years old and my Magna Hoop is brand spanking new. Both are products to help you hoop unusual size items. The Hoop-It-All is a hoop you use instead of the hoops that came with your machine and it uses an adhesive backed stabilizer to accomplish this. Of course, you can use an adhesive back stabilizer, such as AnnTheGran’s Medium Tear Away with Adhesive Back  with your regular hoops. There are also over-size Hoop-It-All hoops for embroidering designs that are larger than your largest hoop. The hoop slides back and forth on the embroidery arm and comes with templates to help you out with this. Hoop-It-All also has specialty hoops for embroidering on caps. The Magna Hoop uses the hoops you already have and clamps down unusual size items by use of various sizes of  inner hoops and a set of magnets. I like mine so much that I'm getting ready to order another for use with my 5"x7" hoop. It's almost like comparing apples to oranges, but both are excellent products and I use both of them.

Now get busy on that quilt! I can't wait to see it!

Ann

Buena la pagina, ojala algún día pueda estar en español.

Pamela