These tips can be used for Windows XP and Vista -
Operating systems vary, if in doubt, check with your provider and/or technical support.
It seems like everyone needs to save time. It is just a fact of life these days. The following "Control Key" list is to help you do just that.
Software is becoming more uniform. In many cases, these also work for Macs as well but using a different key. Check with your manual or just test these.
Why use them instead of the mouse or other devise? Well, a mouse can fail or lose the battery power. Sometimes you need to just use the keyboard.
- CTRL+A - Selects the entire document. If you use it for changing a format, it will change all the format, i.e., Bold or Underline would be applied or removed.
- CTRL+B - Applies or removes bold formatting. Use at the start and at the end or select the target and use the CTRL+ B
- CTRL+C - Copies the selected words, sentences, paragraphs, cells or data. It can be copies multiple times and stays until filled with new information.
- CTRL+F Displays the Find dialog box. Then SHIFT+F4 repeats the last Find action.
- CTRL+G Displays the Go To dialog box. You can go to a page or section, line, bookmark, comment or other notated things. F5 also displays this dialog box.
- CTRL+H Displays the Find and Replace dialog box. I use this frequently for updating information such as changing dates or times.
- CTRL+I Applies or removes italic formatting. Same as the Bold.
- CTRL+K Displays the Insert Hyperlink dialog box for new hyperlinks or the Edit Hyperlink dialog box for selected existing hyperlinks. You can use hyperlinks to the Net, another document or a place in your current document.
- CTRL+N Creates a new, blank document.
- CTRL+O Displays the Open dialog box to open or find a file.
- CTRL+P Displays the Print dialog box.
- CTRL+R Changes the paragraph, page or document to right alignment format.
- CTRL+S Saves the active file with its current file name, location, and file format. This is great for when you are busy, just a quick CTRL+S and you have saved your document that fast.
- CTRL+U Applies or removes underlining. Same as Bold.
- CTRL+V Inserts the contents of the Clipboard at the insertion point and replaces any selection. If placed in a space, inserts information; if placed in a highlighted area, replaces the entire highlighted selection. It is only available after you cut or copied an object, text, or cell contents.
- CTRL+W Saves and closes the current document. Yes, in just one step!
- CTRL+X Cuts the selected cells.
- CTRL+Y Repeats the last command or action, if possible. Keep in mind that sometimes you cannot repeat an action for various reasons.
- CTRL+Z Uses the Undo command to reverse the last command or to delete the last entry you typed. If you are working on something and it disappears from the screen, AND before you try anything else, give this a try. I have had emails disappear and gotten them back. (But sometimes, not!) Do you feel lucky??
Have you backed up lately?? (Especially your designs?) Have you been checking the Rogue Security Software information? Do these software sound legit??
ALL OF THEM ARE ROGUE SECURITY SOFTWARE. Check this site as well as my blog about them.