Notification

Icon
Error

Options
justonecat  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:13:36 AM(UTC)

I did not purchase my ped basic here at Ann the Gran but often lurk on these forums as there is such a wealth of knowledge here!  I have a Brother PE 700 and I just purchased PED Basic, but I cannot get it to install properly on my computer.  My operating system is Vista so I went to the Brother website and downloaded everything from there instead of using the enclosed CD.  I don't know what I am doing wrong or how to fix it.  I am about to take the program back and try another option for using cards in my embroidery machine.

Has anyone else had this kind of issue?

I am ideas how to solve this>

Thanks

sbehan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:20:42 PM(UTC)

I've had the same problems.  A friend of mine is a computer genius and it took him quite awhile to figure it out, he did get it to work with Vista.  When I download I have to save it in a folder and not open it until I pull it out of the folder. I have not had the time to play around with it yet to be able to tell you more.  It will work.

borden47  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2008 4:12:03 AM(UTC)

Hello.

I have not experienced Vista but have heard from others that this program has come with headaches.  Most of the comments are from the corporate world.

When getting a new laptop this past year, I opted not to have Vista installed.  First thing I did think of were my embroidery designs!

So, you are not alone with the Vista difficulties - don't be hard on yourself!  Heard a new version is due out next year. Wink

Joan/NJ

beamishboy  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2008 4:28:41 AM(UTC)

Just a reminder that you can also use the tags feature in our Community if you are looking for specific information on a product or issue, particularly the PE-700 and PE-700ii. For example, clicking on the 'brother pe-700 embroidery machine' tag gives you the following page:

http://www.annthegran.com/cs/tags/brother+pe-700+embroidery+machine/default.aspx

The page has every post in which someone has discussed this machine. It also contains a list of associated tags that helps you further narrow down the topics.

BB

pat71896  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:38:49 AM(UTC)

justonecat-What a name!  Meow, purr, LOL

Well, if you are able to describe your specific issue, I may be able to help you.  I have been using PED Basic for almost 8 years and have had some issues as well.  In fact, one issue I had gone to the dealer, no help, and Brother Support, no help.  I finally figured it out for myself.  I have been a PC software instructor and there are some tricks that can assist you.

One reason that it is difficul to get help with ME software is that ME support people are machine designers and mechanics.  Some are digitizers for designs, some are artists for the designs, but very few are software people.  It is like a technician can tell you the 'programming' aspects of how to make it work, but does not know how to explain how to actually use the software, except in programming terms.

So, you need to let me know what you have already done.  That means that when you are installing, please write down what buttons you pressed and what happened next.  It is not fun, but there is no other way to trouble shoot from San Diego to your home.

I am also going to create a "tutorial" for PE 700 users in this forum.  Watch for that, I hope to do the first leg before the end of this week.

Pat, tae

skbevans  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:36:14 AM(UTC)

OH MY GOODNESS....please let me know what you have found out and please put it in detail if you have the time.  I can bet I am as frustrated as you.  I think I read your post before I actually hit the button to purchase my pe700ll and called and talked to SOMEONE and they told me....Vista can be used.  I went ahead and bought the machine and cannot find any program that will support the VISTA.  Driving me nuts....

skbevans

pattiann  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2008 12:03:15 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Is this the information you used - http://www.brother-usa.c...D%20Basic&ProductID= ?

I temporarily disable the Vista virus protection and firewall features when installing software programs from reliable sources.

heyresa  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2008 11:05:46 AM(UTC)

I had the same problem with pedbasic not wanting to work on vista. But, I didn't add anything from the cd onto my computer. I went to brother's website and downloaded drivers and software. I did that going through Mozilla Firefox not msn. I had a computer guru tell me to download mozilla and I did and I use that as my browsing page when I want to download something for embroidery. You can also download Zipeg, a program just like winzip on this program is totally free. You don't have to buy the program. Most people don't know about it. I didn't, I found it  by mistake. Good luck.

pat71896  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2008 11:29:18 AM(UTC)

heyresa-Very good information.  I did try Firefox but found that I really liked IE better.  It is partly due to the fact that I have been using it for so long and partly because I had taught IE and that made me really comfortable with it.  If you ever want to really learn something, teach it!  Whatever you don't know, someone of the group will know, or you have to do research.  So, feel free to teach us Firefox, it could not hurt!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

itsjustme  
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2008 1:15:07 AM(UTC)

oh yea, I had that problem on my laptop and using my 700II and on my desktop computer with installing and using ped basic.  My husband completely reformated my laptop and desktop and put xp on my laptop and reloaded it on my desktop. vista just doesn't work right with a lot of things. but rather than go through a headache everytime I want to embroider, this was my solution.

love2stitch  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:09:16 PM(UTC)

I have the ped-basic and was able to get my designs to it and I have 3 on it but it will not show me anymore than those 3. The designs are not that big, the card shows a lot of room on it.....please help, very frusterated...

pattiann  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:59:54 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Are the design files that will not load within the maximum hoop size that PED Basics will accommodate?

love2stitch  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:14:10 PM(UTC)

Yes they are....I was able to get some more on but I had to save them in a different spot then I was able to get them to the card. but after that I could not add anymore and there still is plenty of room, confused, please help...thanks

thecomputerist  
#14 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 3:52:21 AM(UTC)

I don't have my PE700 any more, but I remember the same issue.  The dealer told me that it was a number of designs limit, not a size limit.  However, if you had several designs that were huge, they may not fit either.

One thing about seeing that there is 'plenty' of space remaining is that some of that remaining space may well be 'phantom.'  By that, I mean that some space us needed for 'ram' or other technical reason.

I was sure that I could get a dozen designs, not too large, on my disk.  I do remember deleting and adding designs all the time.  That is mostly the reason that I upgraded.  I love to embroider, not to mess with cards.   I upgraded to a USB drive capable machine, and now I have an old PC dedicated to my embroidery, and hooked directly to my machine. 

Try to remember that at one time, you could only use minimal features.  Just like the rest of the world, embroidery is advancing rapidly. 

Another hint, if you are considering upgrading, all the dealers are really silent about pricing.  It is a technique they use to get as much for a machine as they possibly can.  One dealer will offer something for $1,000 while the exact same item will be $1,500 at the next dealer.

If you don't shop around, and spend time with the dealer, you will not find the best deal.  Embroidery machines make a dazzling demonstration.  They want you to salivate and take out your check book right then and there.   Try not to do that.

The Computerist / Pat, The Avid Embroiderer