Notification

Icon
Error

Options
marls33  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2008 8:18:49 AM(UTC)

Hi I have both the 700E & PE Lite. when using the PE lite placing a name & design, when the name sews out it's not very good, but if I enlarge & embroider a name straight from the machine it's Ok. I really don't know a lot about the PE lite,  if I enlarge the name it doesn't seem to sew out properly, so maybe it doesn't change the stitch count to match, any ideas please?Huh?

pat71896  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2008 1:44:26 AM(UTC)

Hello!  It sounds like you are having some issues with your name placement.  I think that a photo will help clarify what the problem might be. 

When the machine is doing the lettering corrrectly, that says that everything is most likely in place, such as good hooping and stabilizing. 

Show us some of the issues by using the 'film strip icon' just above (when you reply it will be there) and upload your photo.  It is really great that we have such terrific tools here at ATG to help each other.

Pat

marls33  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:01:02 AM(UTC)

Hi Pat, I haven't got a photo yet to show you, I practiced on an old facewasher first,  as I was doing it for a friend on expensive towels, I have gone over the facewasher in different places to try different sizes,   { the othere sizes using the brother no 1 card, were fine, so i used that for the towel }so it's a bit of a mess to photogragh, hard to see. But it misses about 2mm here & there if I go over it again it misses in the same places. I wondered whether it was when I enlarged the name in PE design lite that I was losing some stitches. As I don't understand a lot about PE design lite, just brought it..I should read the book shouldn't I ?I will do another later today & get a photo. thanks for your help.Marls

pat71896  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:31:33 AM(UTC)

Marls-Gee, I never heard of reading the instructions.....LOL

Here are a few thoughts:

• In your PE-Lite, change the size and make a note of the number of stitches in two different sizes.  That will answer one of your questions.  I cannot speak for all software, but I know that CatalogExpress does indeed change the number of stitches.  I would guess that is normal, but as I said, I don't know all software.
  • Practicing, also known as 'test sew out' is the best method of getting the desired results.  You will want a similar nap and weight to be sure of your results on the more expensive towels.
  • You don't mention your usage of stabilizers.  I was just reading the instructions from the "Perfect Towel Kit."  Go to that link and watch the video and you may just find some really good tips there.  I am always learning too!
  • Back to stabilizers, you must place a water soluble stabilizer ON TOP of the towel.  The stabilizer beneath needs to be a very heavy weight.  I recommend a water soluble such as BadgeMaster (watch for my blog on just exactly what this TERRIFIC and INEXPENSIVE stabilizer this really is) or a heavy weight cutaway.   Avoid tear away because it just does not have the strength required.
  • Avoid skimpy fonts

Again, the photo will be a good way to look over your issues on these towels.  I do have to say, towels are more tricky than you might think and starting out with this project can be challenging.  I have lots of old terry cloth items on which I have practiced and find that I am getting closer to where I want my quality to be.

Pat

marls33  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:47:01 AM(UTC)

Hi yes my husband & I always say, "when all, else fails, read the 'destuctions' ", yes will check the stiitches out. the  trouble is the older facewahsers are thinner than a new towel.I use solvy on top but a mid strength tearaway underneath, {that tearaway is  what the shop sold me for towels } so if I used the washaway stabilizer would I have to wash the towels before giving?

I'm sorry I hope I'm not wasting your precious embroidery time..thanks again Marls33

pat71896  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:06:11 AM(UTC)

Tear away is a distant relative of "non-woven" fabrics.  There is just very little strength in them.  I use them on denim and other heavy fabrics. 

It is recommended that you use a heavy adhesive and after removing the protective covering, use a heavy cut away on the adhesive.  The cut away is to protect the loops from becoming snagged.  That is really sturdy! 

Incidentally, check my blog on hoopless embroidery because hooping thick towels is a disaster in the making.

The wss (water soluble stabilizer) can be torn away from the top and if there is small amounts left, they can be removed with tweezers.  I don't recommend spraying the wss with water.  I have had such a mess when I tried that method, it became a gooey mess for me.  I think others have better results, but that was my experience.  So, washing should not be necessary.

I could talk embroidery 24/7 so writing to you is my pleasure!

Pat, The Avid Embroiderer

borden47  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2008 8:34:55 PM(UTC)

Hello.

I have a Brother PE-400D with PED Basic and a Brother Innov-is 4000D with PE-Design.  My PED Basic, cannot change any sizing.  However, the PE-Design, I am able to change sizing to a certain degree and certainly move it around.

I am not familiar with the Brother 700E and PE-Lite.  I do know after much reading for my Innov-is 4000D, that the Brother manual is very easy to follow along.  It is very clear....I too, am the last to hit the manual but once I did, Ah Dah!  I even contacted Brother's Help Line with my Innov-is.  I was blown away on how this young man spent the time with me and explained the issue so well.  So, if you are really stuck on a problem, give their Customer Support a call.  It ends a lot of frustration.

Good Luck and enjoy your Brother 700.

Joan/NJ

pat71896  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 12:26:33 AM(UTC)

Actually, PE-Basic can adjust the size, up to 20% and is really limited at that.  So, it really is not a 'resizing' software.

Thanks for mentioning that!

Pat

borden47  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 12:37:08 AM(UTC)

I utilized my PE-Basic with my PE-400D machine.  The PE-400D only had a 4 x 4 embroidery field; therefore, only "spun my wheels" in resizing. 

Joan/NJ

marls33  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 7:29:52 AM(UTC)

Good morning Pat, I'm in Aussie ..

so if I use cutaway, I just 'cut it away' then what happens to the rest I can't get off ? That's what I meant "do I wash the towel". Yes I always use solvy on the top.You mentioned 'skimpy' fonts so that could be a reason too,  as it was in 'script- fancy text'..which is very nice on a ladies towel..I also have PED Basic. I've got a Snoopy PE which only does the 4 x4 & I think that did nicer text embroidery,  I have the larger hoop so I can move it along & do longer names but  the 700E is limited when you want to do bigger names. I just brought the 700 E..a few months ago. so easy to use.

Joan/nj~~~ The PE Lite is a cheaper version of PE design, i can't make a circle or oval & fit the text to it with the PE lite, I can only arch it by using the 123 in the toolbox. 

Marls33

borden47  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 7:56:19 AM(UTC)

Hi.  Thanks for the explanation on the PE Lite.  I thought it may have been a newer version of the PED Basic.  So when the terminology "Lite" is utilized, some of the neat features of the PE Design are missing?!!!  Luckily the PE Design came with my second machine...quite expensive on its own.  Your dilemna with the circle/oval and text can be done with the PE Design.  Snoopy PE; Australia has different machines!  I don't believe they are in the states.  My PE is Winnie the Pooh.

Austraila has very large quilting and embroidering communities.  But, seriously, when you are stuck on these Brother machines, the Brother website offers the Customer Support Group who are fabulous.  They will take the time to walk through the problem with you.  I only called once, but it was a good experience.  These are my first Brother machines and totally satisfied.

Joan/NJ

marls33  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:08:19 AM(UTC)

Hi again Joan/NJ. I had a lend of a PE Design think it was only a 3 off a friend I was going to buy it from her as he brought the 7. but there was something wrrong think it was too old for my computer & it didn't always work.so I ended up buying the lite version, not as good but ok for me for the moment.

Thanks , I will check out the Brother website, I've had the The Snoopy is about 7 years , I brought it 2nd hand at a sewing machine shop, so I don't really know how old it is. The lady didn't have it long & traded it in on a better model so i was very lucky that day..It's been great except for the 4x4 ..bye for now Marls33

pat71896  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:24:16 AM(UTC)

Good Morning Marls-As it turns out, I was just working with a cut away that had to have some stitches "erased."  It was a shirt that I was unhappy with the design and I wanted to merely change it. 

When I originally cut away the original stabilizer, I left about 1" (25 cm) around the design.  I then used an upside spoon to hold down the stitching and tear away what was left.  The needle had pierced the paper making it weakened.  A few times I had to use scissors, but generally, it did come off by pressing (holding and protecting) the embroidery stitches with the spoon and tearing away the weakened stabilizer.

It was time consuming, but I did not want stabilizer around the design.  I like my back to look (nearly) as good as the front.  I trim off all jump stitches and starts and endings of a color.

When I went to erase the stitches (with Peggy's Stitch Eraser which is NOT mailed outside of the USA), that stabilizer was neatly and compactly inside of the satin stitching.  I was pleased with what I found because I knew my work was successful.  The cut away was still doing is job very well!

I have been speaking with others about monogramming and I have learned that Ann's monograms have long been considered the benchmark for quality and excellence in stitching of monograms.  Those monograms are called "Alphabets" on ATG.  The underlay and the satin stitching needs to be digitized properly for excellent results. 

While the following has some narrow areas, you can see how the thick and narrow areas are stitched differently. 

I am hoping that someone who is really good at digitizing would come forward and do a blog discussing the intricacies of digitizing.  I understand that anyone can 'learn' to digitize; however, to 'master' digitizing requires a lot of time and commitment.

marls33  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2008 9:32:43 AM(UTC)

Hi Pat. the 'spoons' sounds good will try that next time. yes I took your advice from an earlier forum to use the same colour bobbin as the towel & that was a great idea.I was telling the craft shop girl about the stitch eraser & she hadn't heard of one..

Thanks  for your help. Marls33

marls33  
#15 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2008 4:17:58 PM(UTC)

Hi Pat I did another name today & took notice. I couldn't see anywhere in the PE design Lite where it shows the stitches when I enlarged. I enlarged to 20 mm using the no 2 font. I didn't stretch the text by the corners used the toolbar sizing.. I used the heaviest cut away stabilizer I had here & solvy on the top.

Here is the photo, I hope it come through ok. Maybe someone who used the PE Design Lite, can add their thoughts too.. thanks Marls33

uh oh I don't know how to add the photo.. help !

pat71896  
#16 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2008 10:57:25 AM(UTC)

I may have misstated that, it is PE-Basic where you can do a small amount of adjustment in the size, not PE-Design Lite.  That is an easy mistake.

Photo Instrucions:  (Drum Roll, Please)

• When you respond to this post, you will see the 'menu bar' that starts with a big 'B' and ends with 'abc check mark.'  In the middle of it, there is a film strip.  When you point with your mouse, it says "Insert Media."  (Here we are half way around the world and we can work as if we were in the same room!  I love that!!!)
  • Click to open it.  Upon opening, you willl see and select the the button "Browse" and then select the "Marls33 Files" tab.
  • Select the "Upload Files" which will take you to your computer.
  • Select your photo and press open (or double click on your photo).
  • Follow the prompts from there.  Once the photo is on the 'reply' screen, you may have to resize it.  You do that by clicking on the photo, the corner squares are handles and drag them to a usable size.

You will be an expert in no time on these photos.

Did you see my current blog?  I am excited about cutwork.  I need to get a life when cutwork makes me so happy.....

marls33  
#17 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2008 1:09:48 PM(UTC)

Hi Pat, Thankyou for that, I have printed the upload instructions  it out & will keep for future ref..you can see the rose has embroidered well, but the text is missing stitches..My name was enlarged to 30mm & was text number 2 in PE Desigh Lite,..This is satin stitch, should I be using 'fill' stitch ..Sew type has Satin or Fill stitch. If I  use the No 1 brother card on my machine & do the same size it embroiders  well. so I think it could  be the pe lite or something I'm not doing right. Just reading the book & there's a "Density" setting to set the number of lines per  millimeter. Range 1.0- 7.0 lines per mm wonder if they should be altered when I enlarged the pattern ? guess I need some lessons.  If I learn something new each day it's a bonus.. thanks  for any ideas..Marls                                                                                                                                                                                          

pat71896  
#18 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2008 2:19:13 AM(UTC)

Marls-Your project is just great!  There are no skipped stitches.

Satin stitches are the zigzag stitches used in words our outlines.  Fill is what happens in an area like a 'field.'  So those do not help you here.

Those stitches you feel are missing are just small areas where the number of stitches did not create a perfectly covered curve.  That is just the nature of ME.

If you want to increase the number of stitches, the following is my configuration.  Yours will differ and you will need to find if your machine has this feature.

In the lower left, under 'return' select the scissors button.

Notice there is 878 stitches and the density is at 100%.  I changed it to 110% (but would need to test to be sure that will work).

You are likely to fill in that curve, but will have lots more stitches for your design.  The stitches in your machine or design are generic and making adjustments for your project is normal.  That is what a Test Sew Out is for.

Pat

marls33  
#19 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2008 7:02:19 AM(UTC)

Good morning Pat, thankyou for your input, that makes me feel a lot better about doing a towel for someone else..I like to do the curved writing as if it's not quite straight at least it doesn't show. I just did the ATG 4 outline roses & they turned out lovely. I'm learning more about the PE Design Lite as I go along. I will sit & study the instruction book. Love to read all the forums & have picked up some lovely ideas..I looked at all the photos yesterday, took me ages & the sewing rooms were all terrific. I share my sewing room with my husbands computer desk etc.. &  I have my computer in another room with a single bed.

Thankyou again & bye for now ~~~Marls