Notification

Icon
Error

Options
jmcgavin  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 31, 2008 12:20:38 PM(UTC)

How does one determine which designs will stitch well on each weight of fabric?  I have been trying to do birds on Sweatshirt fabric and on Cotton quilting fabric.  They seem to be quite densely stitched for both fabric weights.  I have used double stabilizer and still find them a bit puckery around some edges, especially where there is only a small amount of fabric between two areas of stitching like between the birds feet.

jalcumbrack  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 31, 2008 9:05:30 PM(UTC)

Paradise Well, I guess my first question ,is what are you using for stabilizers? Are you hooping it or are you going outside the hoop? If it were me I would use a sticky on the hoop,then an iron on,light tack tear away on the back of the sweatshirt.Then lay it on the sticky,and embroider it out side the hoop,so as not to stretch the fabric. Sweatshrit material can be kind of stretchy that is why I don't hoop it and use sticky,then a low tack on the back of the shirt. Then above all ,use a water soluable stabilizer on the top layer,It will help keep the stitches where they belong even if it is quite dense. Sounds like they maybe slipping a bit.With sweatshirt fabric I have found too, that it holds up better if you have some stabilizer left in it. Once I put the design on it,I put it in the dryer only long enough to make it wrinkle free then I hang it  and let them air dry. But you cannot always be guaranteed that someone else will do that of course.So if it is for a gift,depending on what it is,I will include washing instructions with it. I had a person one time I did a baby blanket for and she bleached it with clorine bleach,then complained the embroidery got washed away.So a lesson well learned there.

Also , I guess I may find  another design that the stitches are not quite as dense.Sometimes the less dense the better,especially for a heavy sweat shirt.

I have done many sweat shirts this way and they come out very nice. Also are you washing them first for shrinkage? I always do. Are you  doing a test sew out? I always do one on the type of fabric I intend to use the design on. So maybe I will either buy me one as well or if I have a scrap of that type of fabric I will use that,You can always use it later for something else,maybe a quilt or something.

Maybe other's have a better way to do it,if so I want to know about it ,LOL.I am all for efficiency,but the quality is #1.

Hope this helps!Cool

jalcumbrack  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 31, 2008 10:39:08 PM(UTC)

Paradise My goodness,I just realized you had two types of fabric you are using here.Silly me !I would say again for the cotton,what are you using for stabilizer's? Cotton is a very light weight fabric,so dense stitches are likely to pucker it.

I just thought of something else as well,did you re-size the design? If you re-size a design smaller. you may have to remove some of the stitches to make it less dense.

Once again I would use a  heavier weight lower tack sticky on the hoop,an iron on low tack tear away,and again a water soluable on top. The reason I do use both the sticky and the iron on is, it is easier to remove the stabilizer and I think it adhears to the sticky better.You don't want it to move around in the hoop while stitching.Same method of hooping is appropriate as well or you can hoop it but be careful not to stretch the fabric. It needs to be taught but not stretched.That is why I prefer not to hoop it,that way I know I don't have it too tight.The whole idea of a stabilizer is to make the fabric more stable and suitable for embroidering. By using a WSS on top it will also help the cotton take the stitches better,but again I would consider maybe a less dense design. I always make sure I have a new needle in the machine as well for anything that may be dense. Because of  the cotton,I am assuming here,that you are using it for a quilt project, because of that right there I would leave some stabilizer in it to help hold the design in place after the laundry process.You are  not going to see it on the quilt as long as you trim the stabilizer back(being careful not to trim any embroidery stitches of course) far enough to not show through the cotton fabric. I do this,as it not only serves as a stabilizer for your stitches but also for your quilt.

Lets see who has better idea's as well again, if there is a better way to do this,enquiring minds want to know.LOL.I love hearing how every one does things ! I have learned a few new tricks myself !

jalcumbrack  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 31, 2008 10:48:18 PM(UTC)

Big Smile I can not stress enough the fact ALWAYS,ALWAYS ,ALWAYS do test sew outs for any type of fabric. It is the best way to tell what stabilizers you need for that particular item.Some may need two,three even more .I never do any embroidery without WSS on the top.It just makes every project come out nicer and better.lets see what other's have to say as well on this subject.I am guessing there will be  a lot of feed back on this one. did you see Pat's blog on Stabilizer's? It has a lot of information in it .

Hope I could be of some assitance to you . Have a wonderful day ! Happy Sewing!Cool

jmcgavin  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 1, 2008 12:39:55 PM(UTC)

Judy,

Thanks for all your comments. 

SWEATSHIRT:  I used a no-show-mesh for knit fabrics on the sweatshirt.  Then I had a lightweight tear-away on the hoop.  I did not hoop the sweatshirt for fear of hoop burn.  I
think I used a spray adhesive to attach the sweatshirt to the lightweight
stabilizer, even pinning the corners of the sweatshirt to the stabilizer so the weight would not let it slip.    I like your idea of using the water soluble on top.  That could make a huge difference along with the sticky and the iron on.  That is similar to the towel tips from Eileen Roche and have had excellent results with that method.

COTTON QUILT FABRIC:  I used two layers of tear away medium.   And did hoop the fabric.  I didn’t stretch it.

DESIGN  DENSITY:  I think the real problem was with the heavy density of the designs.  When you have a ready made garment,
(Sweatshirts are all different weights) it is difficult to do a test stitch on a comparable fabric.  Test stitching a 60 minute design takes a lot of time.  I tested my goldfinch on cotton first.  He was beautiful, but needed more stabilizer, hence adding the second layer.  Then stitched it on the sweatshirt with the stabilizers mentioned above.    Quite a few of the birds in that set were very densely stitched.  I am wondering of there is some published density stitch-count guideline  for different fabric weights.  I have no idea how to gauge what is too dense and what is not, until after it is stitched. 

I finally had success with a loon.  I increased the size by 50%.  I thought the density increased with the size.  (I’m new at the density thing, so I am not sure.)  But anyway, I stitched him on cotton, hooped the fabric with a heavyweight sticky and another layer of medium weight tear away.  He did not appear to have the thick density of the goldfinch by a long shot.  But, I’m not really sure what made the difference.

Thanks again, I Loved your ideas!  I am finished
with this particular sweatshirt, but really want to understand more about this whole density thing before I attempt anything else with this bird set.

Jo

jalcumbrack  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 1, 2008 10:16:02 PM(UTC)

Paradise Hi Jo,

I always use  the water soluable on top of any design,it helps lay the stitches on top of the fabric a bit more.there are many different weights of that as well,the one I use is the one at ATG .So far it is the best I have used,it is fairly economical,and it has never failed me yet.

By using the WSS on top of the fabric ,it has been my experience that no matter how dense the stitches are ,the wss seems to smooth them out and make them lay beautifully. I never use the spray adhesive as it gums up my needle and can sometimes make a big mess .I just use the sticky back.

When ever you re-size a design,you should add and remove stitches from it. By making it smaller than the original design ,it would then make it much more dense,and harder to get it to come out nice.By removing some of the stitches,you then take some of the away so it sew out nice.

I also sew a lot of different animals,I always use Wss on the top.Animals do tend to have very dense stitching,so they look more real.So the birds feather's look like feather's and the pet hair looks soft and cuddly as most kitties and puppies are........awwwww. Any way, by using the wss on top of the fabric it helps the stitching to lay really nice. Try it on something quick and simple and easy to sew.Try  just sewing just the bird on something the same weight fabric that you are trying to use. Use the Wss on the top.Please give it a try,you will never sew another thing without it.

I cannot stress enough about doing a test sew out.this helps to decide what materials you will need for the finished item.I know it is time consuming,but it is better than ruining the item itself.It will save you from either having to tear out the stitching,which will take you longer than the 60 minutes,or tossing the item aside to become an ufo.(unfinished object). The best part is you then have something wonderful to use for something else like a quilt,or sew it onto a bag with ribbon.There are many things you can do with them,trust me they are not a waste of time.The benefit is now you have a list of materials you need to sew the item intended.

I try to look at the design itself to judge the density of it,Good designs,most all of the animals,flowers ,leaves usually have more density to them.I just got in the habit of using the WSS as all my things looked so much better with it. I guess I really don't think too much about the density of the design as by using the WSS on top,it just always comes out really well.

I hope all this has helped and of course it is only one opinion,I am sure other's out there will add some to this forum as well. Pat has great idea's and of course ,Ann always has a great answer to things.Maybe one of them can answer your question about the stitch guidelines you asked about. Have a blast,and Happy Stitching!!

If I can answer anything else for you let me know........I am always happy to give it a shot! I like to help put when I can...........

Toodles!