Notification

Icon
Error

Options
karles  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 1:42:12 AM(UTC)

I'm a newbie here...  I was messing around with a design and had the wrong hoop in (too small for pattern) My needle hit the hoop and broke. Here is my problem...

I've replaced the needle and now the stitching won't "stick" to the fabric.  The needle stays threaded, but as it moves and goes up and down per the design there is no thread stitched to my fabric.  It's not getting tangled or anything.  I'm doing everything the same way I did before(stabalizer, thread, etc.) so it has to be something that happened when my needle broke or the way it's installed?

PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you!

pattiann  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:59:15 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

One of two things my be the problem: (1) the needle has been put in backward or (2) when the needle hit the hoop it knocked the machine's stitching process out of time. 

The first one you can remedy, the second requires a trip to the dealer.

The flat side of the upper needle shaft is the back of the needle.  The front of the needle has a groove just above the eye to help feed the upper thread to meet the bobbin thread.  The front of the needle faces toward the location of the bobbin.  For top or front loading bobbins this would be toward the front (flat side toward the back) of the machine.

If in doubt about the needle installation - check the manual. 

Most embroidery machines have a feature that will move the hoop around the perimeter of the design so you can see before hand if the needle and foot will clear the hoop.